Noob question thread! šŸ˜€ ask your questions here!

Does anyone have some experience with drilling holes in a fiberglass enclosure?

I need to widen an excisting hole of 11.5 mm to around 14mm for my chargeport. I have seen people use tape and drill counterclockwise but does anyone have some more tips for me?

lmfao maybe try to first do research before you build an esk8 . you dont even have all the parts so why you ask now. you cant even do anything atm

1 Like

Do it by hand with a knife? Thats what I did for mine I didnt have a drill bit wide enough so drilled as big as I could and then used a knife and did it slowly. Just put the tip in (thats what she said) and rotate slowly

I use this when I need to make the holes bigger in small increments.

It seems like thats whats missing. The washers and the grub screws too. Where would I get another washer that they use?

get the diameter of the shaft on the place where the circle clip is sitting. than just have a look in your local hardware shop. they should have some slim washers there.

Ok, it sucks now i wonder why it was tampered with the dude said it was only used a little with no problems never mentioned this.

2 Likes

Can I also use my dremel without shattering the fiber glass?

Phase wire extensions are too long. Donā€™t run long phase wires. Also do your research, too many things could go wrong and going head first into this is not the best way unless you want to spend a lot of money on broken parts.

1 Like

1.5m are long but what is wrong with 50-60cm extensions? IĀ“m not the only one who run long phase wires without issues. I agree that shorter would be better, but still, 60cm phase wires donĀ“t cause so big voltage spikes that they will damage the vesc.

yeah he ask the same question twice and doesnĀ“t read the answer which was givenā€¦ but at one point we all need to start. to ask if itĀ“s difficult to set up the unity by his own is really nothing bad. same with the phase wires. we donĀ“t need to make the work for people asking here, but we should better guide them in the direction they should work intoā€¦

5 Likes

I would use a step drill bit it should be able to handle it.

1 Like

Would rather have a long battery wire than longer phase wires. 1.5 meters is too long, itā€™s almost an extreme amount. Be minimalistic and make your wires sized appropriately. I worry about noise so having a bigger awg wire like 10 or 12 would help. But yes you are right, not many people have any issues like desyncing.

1 Like

Tape, high speed bit, and step cutter would all help. If you just need to widen a bit a dremel will be fine but be careful it doesnā€™t run away from you. Wear a mask.

1 Like

Thank you @briman05 and @venom121212 ! I think I will try the dremel first because I already got the dremel :slight_smile:

And by the dremel running away you mean that I have full control of it?

1 Like

What he means is that the dremel only spins one way if you have a very high speed set when it hits the fiberglass it could dig in and just start going that one way. A stepper but would be the most controllable option

2 Likes

For a hole of this diameter is not going to be easy to find a drill bit, I recommend to use a file with rounded shape. File and fiberglass work together pretty nicely, just be careful with the fiber glass dust, is so irritating in your skin!!

2 Likes

Well how couldnt I have come up with this myself hahahaha, file is maybe a bit more time consuming but it is very easy thx The board is still under construction btw haha

he keeps asking in the dutch esk8 whatsapp groupā€¦ I gave him many many many freaking times adviceā€¦ he always ignored it and tried to ask the same questions on other platforms such as this forum, facebook reddit etcā€¦ i always help peoplebut not him anymore. he needs to listen to the freaking world

3 Likes

in this case itĀ“s totally understandable. :wink: