Noob question thread! 😀 ask your questions here!

Drag the image into the box you type in. Also for some reason it really doesn’t like portrait-oriented photos. If the photo is wider than it is tall, you will have much better results.

@PeterPan Acton’s customer service is known to be very bad

If you’re not using a sensored motor, Can it run FOC mode and still be silent? I’m under the impression that the sensor wires are necessary to run FOC.

I believe you can run sensorless mode in FOC

It’s better if it’s on your heel side. That way you’ll have more control over your board.

Yes, it’ll run silent. BLDC is noisier. You don’t need sensors to run FOC.

I’ve been reading that TB and Maytech Vescs are reliable to run FOC only up to 10s but will do BLDC up to 12s. On the other hand FOCboxes can run both FOC and BLDC reliably to 12s.

Is this the general consensus amongst users?

FOCbox can run FOC reliably. TB vescs are good too. Most of us have problems with the maytechs. The problem is that they are the most fault intolerant. You do one thing wrong and BOOM congratulations you’ve got a dead weight now. I’ve done my fair share of research and decided to buy the maytechs. One died after a year because of water damage. Other than that I haven’t got any problems so far. Best investment I’ve ever done.

So, for you personally, you’ve ran Maytech’s for quite some time and no issues? Are you running BLDC or FOC 8s, 10s, 12s?

BLDC, 10s. No issues non user related whatsoever. Will try FOC soon.

Say bye bye DRV!!

What kind of fuses do people use inline with the main discharge lead?

1 Like

Duty cycle.

Let’s setup an example. 10s2p 30q, nominal 36v, with an 40a constant current output

Your batt max is 40a Your motor max is 80a

You battery can provide 36v * 40A = 1440Watts

Duty cycle in simple terms is a percentage of work, from the main power source. For example 25% duty of 36v = 9v

(36v * 0.25 duty) * 80 motor amps = 720watts

Your battery can only provide 1440 watts 1440W/80a = 18v or 50% duty

36v * 0.5 duty = 18v

So above 50% duty, the motor max amperage will drop, to to your battery max limit

1440W/(36v * 0.51 duty) = 78.43A motor max 1440W/(36v * 0.52 duty) = 76.92A motor max

Etc…

duty-cycle peakwatts motorpower voltage

7 Likes

How many constant current amps is a 10s4p of 30q batteries.

1 Like

30q is 15A rated. But tested to be 20 provided it’s kept below 80c.

So manufacturer 15A*4p=60

Tested rating (mooch) 20a*4p=80

Pick your poison

2 Likes

40a fuse should be fine for 90% of the builds out there. If you have some crazy 10s6p mountain board, go higher

My DIY esk8 is in progress… in the meantime still troubleshooting my Blink S since I commute with it.

If the hub motor overheated, could that permanently ruin the magnets in the hub shell and explain the loss of acceleration/torque/top speed?

Thought I’d ask before tearing apart the battery looking for dead cells.

Thanks!

12S4p vesc6 build with relative big motors. But Its not the size im after but what form factor.

So it would be 2160 Watts for my battery divided by 46 max amps of my motors would be 46.95volts so would that be like 95% duty cycle?

are you using a vedder anti spark?