Noob question thread! šŸ˜€ ask your questions here!

@Battosaii so you have the same as me then. Interesting because Iā€™m just about to install my new 12s4p 30q in my dual 6374 and will definitely be chucking some idlers in there now. What vescs are you running as Iā€™m wary of foc with 12s and focboxes

Iā€™m running VescX on this set up, and I have Focboxes on my upcoming 12s 4wd set up, I also 2 friends running Focbox in FOC at 12s Iā€™m confident the Focbox can handle it.

1 Like

Iā€™ll check in with you when Iā€™m doing my set up then. I donā€™t think people are aware of how important belt tension is too. The biggest noob mistake in RC is over tight gear mesh which can fry your esc and Iā€™m assuming over tight belts will cause similar issues to a lesser degree but definitely something to think about with geared drives. Funny you are building a 12s 4wd because so am I if I can decide on which hubs to go for. What Iā€™d like is some enertion hubs but they wonā€™t sell me any lol. Plan is to use 2 unitys and tb directs with maybe the battery set up from the zill drive. Something modular anyway. Patience is a virtue they say.

Iā€™d get the unity but I already have the Focboxes. Also Iā€™m going with a belt set up.

1 Like

Maybe dumb question, maybe not.

How many extra cells do you buy when making a battery (assuming youā€™re not a ā€œregularā€ battery maker ordering them in bulk)? Like if Iā€™m going for 10s3p thatā€™s 30 cells, should I get just 30 or more like 35-40 in case some are bad out of the box? Or does that also depend on the reputation of the vendor?

Some people buy a few extra cells just in case they mess up and damage a cell in the building process they generally donā€™t come bad.

1 Like

Thanks Iā€™ve got those NESE modules so I probably donā€™t need any extra then.

Iā€™m glad I asked instead of just ordering 40

I always buy a few more than I need because I have various items like lights and fans powered by 18650s and itā€™s always good to have extras

2 Likes

hmm good point, I donā€™t have anything I can think of but this Ring2 battery pack thatā€™s in front of me sure looks like 2 18650s in parallel: 3.65v 6040mAh, maybe LiFePo4?

Doesnā€™t look exactly ā€œuser serviceableā€ though :rofl:

1 Like

Vape nation dude! Iā€™ve always got uses for 18650ā€™s. Hey while were on the subject, donā€™t you think this vaping nonsense has pushed the price of batteries way up?

Haha good point Iā€™ve been thinking about getting one of those, whatā€™s your favorite for a noob? I was going to look up if 30Qs were preferred in those as well or what their draw is like.

Have you guys seen this? https://onlyaever.com/collections/toys/products/g4-2wd-g4x-4wd-off-road-electric-skateboard Claims +30mph for $200!? Thing looks weird to ride.

some chinese bought one baja and made it in his factory or what? https://www.bajaboard.com.au/order-board

Hiya all, just in a bit of a pickle and wondering if I could get some help. So I have a board with a single turnigy motor with a diy electric vesc and 2 x 3s 8000mah lipos in series (22.2V). Using an XT90 circuit break for a switch. To give a breif history, with this setup earlier this year the vesc fried and I had to buy a new one and redo the wires as they had melted (the vesc was only a month old and they wouldnā€™t give me a refund :unamused:). It was a simple setup and there wasnā€™t any way I couldā€™ve messed up. Right now my problem is that the board will run for about 30 seconds then the light on the vesc will flicker, go off and the board will stop. So it looks like the vesc stops getting enough power. Leading up to the moment it completely stops working itā€™ll turn off and on, making for a jolty ride. Generally the breaks will keep working for a little longer after it stops which is nice. Any ideas?

Hi everyone. Soon iā€™ll be building a battery pack and im going to make the series connections with 10 AWG. My question is if i have to put some fish paper or heat resistant (kapton tape) between the nickel strip and 10 awg wire. Do I have to worry about the insulation melting and shorting the pack and everything goes on fire?

noob

it needs insulation under the nickel on the positive end. Either rings like this or Iā€™ve seen people run kapton tape along the sides

IMG_20180806_090740

1 Like

https://m.de.aliexpress.com/item/32681820833.html?pid=808_0003_0101&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32681820833&aff_trace_key=9bbff4d8d053489d8f9bc0d93f0e1ee1-1528112012576-00519-ZfIyN3R&aff_short_key=ZfIyN3R&aff_platform=msite

Running these motors at 6s right now. It says upto 8s but I want to upgrade to 10s. Would this still work or would these motors go up in flames?

nothing will happen to the motors. It will still work

Hi everyone! My battery insulators are falling off? Is that normal?

IMG_3230

Motors wonā€™t but that is too high of a kv for 10a you need more like 190-200kv