Onewheel Build Guide

in a matter of days!! this merge will happen :smiley::smiley:

3 Likes

Iā€™m liking the progress made on the VESC6+ with the IMU support via the pull request. Iā€™m now officially in parts acquisition mode.

Alongside the PHUB188 10ā€ tyre and the VESC, what are people recommending for:

1/ Anti Spark switch. I want to use an AV switch if possible. 2/ BMS and charging system. Looking for a 12S solution. If my battery pack is 12S2P does this make a difference to my choice of BMS? Thanks.

1 Like

No difference for the BMS

1 Like

Guys! The pull request is already merged to official vesc tool!! @Dan333 maybe you are up to compile it for all of regular humans? :slight_smile:

Edit: yeah If is official there is a installer available in vesc project site, thanks anyway @dan333!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Noob question for a new buildā€“

If Iā€™m reading this right, it sounds like this is adding an app to run the self-balancing capabilities directly on the VESC 6? Is that the direction that folks are headed at this point for a OneWheel project? (rather than programming to run on an Arduino with MPU-6050 gyro connected to it?)

If it is the direction that people are headed, how would other functionality that isnā€™t strictly self-balancing be implemented into the system? (i.e. foot pads to allow machine to activate, etcā€¦)

Thanks for any guidance anyone can offer.

2 Likes

Yes, I think is the way to go lately, foot pad functionality is coming in the next or two releases

how does this ride compared to the real thing? This build seems fairly budget friendly :slight_smile:

the code for self balansing is comming along and Iā€™m testing each update and having a dialob with the developerā€¦ its getting better and betterā€¦ also I am currently impementing some code for velostat footsensor(s) using the free adc on the vesc6+

1 Like

Im using the DieBieMS BMS witch includes a antispark switch and a oled battery display

the pull has not yet been accepted to the firmwareā€¦?

Your work to implement velostat foot sensors sounds great!

We have plenty of work ahead of us with the rest of the build, so waiting a release or two probably wonā€™t hurt us. Do you have any idea what sort of timeframe it might be (not gonna hold anyoneā€™s feet to the fire or anything, but would like to know if itā€™s likely closer to 6 days, 6 weeks, or 6 months). Iā€™d be happy to try and help out, but would be starting from scratch to learn the codebase. It might be better (and get results faster) for me to simply offer to buy you pizza and beer (or your foodstuff and beverage of choice.)

1 Like

functions should be in place But I am getting eratic behaviour from the voltage read so code might be good but hw implemenetation wrong or vice verce ā€¦

anyhowā€¦ here is the newest compilation (footsensor code commented out)

1 Like

I think I was too enthusiastic, later I realized the last changes where made with the news of Benjamin, not from Michlol, I suppose the code of Michlol will be next release, but just guessing. Btw I canā€™t connect the mpu9250 with vesc, donā€™t know why, maybe wiring is not correct, but I asked in vesc project forum couple days ago, but no answer at all. If someone can confirm the wiring I will be sooo happy.

Here is how is connected now:

Vcc to vcc or 5v

Gnd=gnd

Scl=scl

Sda=sda

The only thing I can think now is if sda or scl are crossed like Tx Rx in UART

Edit: copy from vedder answer:

Many of the changes were inspired from your code :slight_smile: (Michlol code) Then I will call it a half merge :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Dan333 mind you to give a basic instructions where are the comments for the food pad sensors? I canā€™t find them, the only thingie I know is using one of the ADC free from the vesc. Thanks mate

This was a month ago before my VESC decided to stop working with PWM/PPM. Been trying to get UART communication to work eversinceā€¦

2 Likes

There is a ā€œbugā€/ā€œmissing featureā€ in the vesc code. It uses a whitelist of I2C addresses for the MPU9250, and at least for the MUP9250 that i got off amazon, the I2C address is not on the list. That is why i made this change.

This is likely your issue. The options are to wait for my pr to merge, buy a different gyro (MPU6050 works if you have one, BMI is probably the best but i havenā€™t tested it yet.), or maybe there is a jumper or something you can use on the MPU9250 to change the address (not sure if thats real or not, i vaguely recall reading it somewhere)

3 Likes

For anyone trying to make velostat sensors, here is a video on what Iā€™ve found is the best method. I spent almost a year trying different things, and riding on these, so it is pretty legit. (I donā€™t have any more kits for sale, but if there is a big demand, maybe i can make a 2nd batch)

7 Likes

Welcome @NuRxG this is getting exciting!!! Awesome what you are doing man, thanks to bring eucā€™s and ow to the DIY scene. Yep I installed your firmware and Iā€™m getting data from the gyro, still I didnā€™t figure out how to get pid output working, but yeah I will keep trying :slight_smile:

NuRxGā€™s firmware and tool compiled:

6 Likes

Iā€™ve been watching these videosā€¦keep it up!

1 Like