Open differential Electric Skateboard - Single motor dual rear

Why did i read this whole thing…

3 Likes

And of course I started this thread (dodging thrown objects)

1 Like

Strange concept that

My 4wd has a set of very expensive diff locks for increased traction on loose surfaces. Mountain boards would be the last place you’d need an open diff. Little tiny diff locks with mini compressors or complicated electronics to activate…yeah no. My stuff goes wrong just looking at it sometimes.

4 Likes

This is so so so true… Sometimes you haven’t touched board and you are scared to go out in case something had happen while it was standing :smiley:

2 Likes

:laughing: Hey here’s a thought why don’t you look at building a live axle truck? Bearings in the hanger so we get power to both wheels with one traditionally mounted belt/gear drive. Be great for small commuters and kickers.

Once my first build is complete I already expect to stare at it for awhile. Maybe get fully padded up for the first ride lol :laughing:

Get this:

1 Like

LOL will you sell these in gold? :rofl:

2 Likes

Sure

I love gold

Should find a deserted place. I don’t want to startle anyone if they see me rolling down the street in that LOL

Now thats a fine shade of gold I gotta say :joy:

how about one motor on normal asphalt… gear drive vs differential… can the single motor w/ differential put out more power without inducing tire skid from power than single motor w/ gear drive? the differential motor power is transmitted through 2 wheels instead of 1… so less constraint on max acceleration with the differential, no?

1 Like

On most cases I would say yes

After running dual drive for a long time and coming back to single, I say it’s really bad to have traction in only wheel, even with the slightest turn to the side of the non driven wheel you loose traction

But if you loose traction with one wheel with a open diff you loose all power

1 Like

Forget all this one motor for two wheels nonsense, I want two Motors on one wheel. let’s figure that out.

3 Likes

Now that is an idea. 4 motor 2wd. Dayum son. Burnouts for all.

I saw a guy on youtubes the channel was called back then “Electric bike” now it changed to something else. That nutcase of an Aussie had 3 bldc motors on a single belt drive powering the read tire of a trike. And those werent no sissy 6374’s either…

2 Likes

Better yet have some kind of mechanism to switch which motor is driving the wheel so you can have a super low KV and a really high KV.

so by extension if a single motor powering 2 wheels via differential can transfer more motor power/torque to the road without inducing tire burnout (resulting in greater thrust/acceleration) than single motor w/ single wheel gear drive, it stands to reason that 2 motors powering 4 wheels w/ differential can transfer more motor total power/torque to the road without inducing tire burnout than dual motor w/ dual wheel gear, belt or direct drive, and therefore the differentials themselves are capable of transferring more power to the road from a given pair of motors enabling greater vehicle thrust and acceleration on normal asphalt than is possible with 2 motors via gear, belt or direct drive. regardless of how many motors are attached to each wheel-- above a certain motor power threshold, acceleration is limited by tire grip, not available motor power.

I remembered this thread while watching this video. Now I’m not technically inclined and was barely able to follow the ideas in this thread but maybe this video might be related to using a differential on electric skateboards.

4 Likes

And why then people say, that single motor dual wheels drive is impossible? I’im not about differential, but locked rear wheels. https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/dual-drive-e-board-with-single-motor/390

I’m also lose traction on turns.