Optimal motor KV for offroad and top speed?

You can calculate your belt length here https://www.bbman.com/belt-length-calculator/

1 Like

Nice! Seems like i need 462mm and i ordered 465. Spot on :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I actually have two slave pullies, 70t and 80t because I have a 168Kv and 192Kv motor on the same build. I use a 460t and 440t belts, but my motor mounts are unique. as you will soon see :confused:

image image image image

1 Like

It would be just a tad slower for road use, I’d suggest 4:1 on 168kv or 5:1 on 190kv

3 Likes

I think ill definitely throw the 13t pulleys on then. and I guess by the looks of it im going to be getting the Elastomere Damper’s aswell, as I was going to run without dampas and just pretension!

13t would skip, increase your wheel pulley

1 Like

Really? I have 12t motor pulley with 72t slave and it never slipped.

1 Like

Music to my ears… my setup by luck rather than judgement… :ear::musical_score:

1 Like

I have SK8 149kv motors with 5:1 gearing on 8" wheels. My settings are motor max 160A and batt max 100A (of course both vescs together). The highest value in real life was 150A motor and 97A batt max but usually the motors need at least 100-130A max each ride and 50-90A batt max depending on riding style/terrain.

I used this gearing with 136kv motors. 136kv was too slow but 149kv should be good for a bit above 50km/h on nice roads. I would keep the motors and try it first with 15T/66T and eventually 18T.

Personally I often hit top speed if I ride fast on concrete but on the other hand I like this restriction to protect myself :laughing:. I don’t want to crash above 50km/h…

Yes, exactly. Springs without dampas feel a bit loose and spongy for me and unstable at speed including speed wobbles. With yellow dampas it’s much better but not for turning at lower speed, turning radius is like a car so always need to jump or lift the front for tighter turns.

Elastomere can get more compressed than springs that’s why it’s possible to make sharp turns with hard leaning and bindings but it’s still stable at speed. It’s different to springs and takes some rides to get used to it but I love it. Feels like a Mountainlongboard now, that’s how I describe it, more alive than with springs where it’s restricted. It’s f***** smooth and I won’t go back to springs, never ever. E-Toxx 4 life, @Nowind and @Duffman for president!

7 Likes

Sorry I must have added 7" pneumatics because 8" are a bit too much

Please elaborate as im looking at new tires at this time, a bit much how?

Yes. I ran just springs in the front and yellow Dampa in the back. This is common appearantly when you don’t run dampas

2 Likes

Woah, the fuck. I wonder if I could get away with putting a decent bit of pre-tension into the spring if that would stop it. unfortunately im incredibly light (60kg) so even the softest dampas reduce my turning circle into a truck.

someone needs to get around to making thoes inserts out of metal. they wont break that way!

2 Likes

Gearing up to 60 kmh reduces torque by 65 percent or so.

Going up in Kv to 200 increases maximum current capability by 35 percent or so.

So if you don’t touch your gearing, go up to 200 Kv motors and increase your motor current by 35 percent, you won’t meaningfully affect your current either up or down

1 Like

Gearing up to 60 kmh reduces torque to about 65 percent or so.

Gearing up to 60 kmh reduces torque by 35 percent or so.

Haha I just wanted to say it can happen with dampas, too but after checking the pics I realized that it happened to me once when using springs only :rofl:

I don’t know but in any case I would add some pre-tension otherwise the springs can pop out on hard leans or including spring retainer like here (achieved with extreme lean at home)

Do you use bindings? Just give it a try with a bit pre-tension and don’t ride too fast.

2 Likes

I do use bindings, but only because they came with the deck. Its only going to be a road runner so no heavy duty terrain hopefully.

1 Like

Good reason :wink: Bindings help you to make tighter turns.

3 Likes

I was thinking of a 6384 motors 170kv with those etoxx 1:4 hellical drives and 8or7 inch wheels.

But i would be better with something around 140-150kv?

1 Like

it depends on the top speed vs acceleration you want…

1 Like