OSRR - A High Performance Open Source Racing Remote

Yeah that’s kinda what I had imagined you were describing. That would make a pretty fat remote and I’m not convinced the two inputs side by side wouldn’t be awkward and prone to fatfingering

3 Likes

like most things

2 Likes

Last point I’ll make for clarification purposes, human factors engineering is my focus as well.

I agree, with the throttle width used, it would be wide.

Even if you fat fingered it when accelerating (pushing thumb forward), the brake would already be at stopped, 0 position. You couldn’t accidentally brake when accelerating or vice versa. The Japanese call it Poka-Yoke.

I’m done pitching ideas on your thread :yum:

Please don’t be! I appreciate the input. I guess my concern is not so much that you could hit brakes while accelerating- rather that you’d have to physically move your thumb between the two controls in order to switch over to brake from accelerating.

In this scenario, each time you want to suddenly brake from an acceleration, would require allowing the throttle to snap back to 0 (which can be filtered to not cause a sudden deceleration) and then moving your thumb over to your brake and start pulling that back. When we’re talking milliseconds of reaction time I think that might add unneeded complexity to the input during a critical time.

I think if we wanted a full throttle thumbwheel w/ brake it might be more intuitive to have a multi-use trigger button on the grip that could toggle the throttle wheel to brake, or simply act as a “longer you hold it down, the stronger the brake applied is”.

These are the exact type of discussions and feedback I’m looking for. Keep it up!

2 Likes

Ok glad to not step on any toes. Ideally, the brake wheel would automatically override accel command. Ergonomically, I’d like to have the resting “nub” on the brake wheel slightly more forward than the slow acceleration throttle position for this exact reason. It would make a smooth transition from accel to brake. I imagine my thumb resting on the brake (pressing it forward, the way it can’t move and throw you on your face) while accelerating and just rolling my thumb over to the brake quickly. My main issue I see is left handed users. It is certainly not ambidextrous unless modular.

Regardless of my personal design ideas, I think throttle and brake control separation is a highly sought after aspect and gives you much more room to play. It’s certainly not mainstream yet.

Whatever you do and whatever you incorporate: safety is the number 1. As long as it does not loose connection, that is the most important thing I guess (hey, even running a wire to the board, if that is what it takes, I’ll run with a wire…)

Anything else is nice to have Display, board batt level, left over range, POLICE MODE (man, police mode alone is worth gazillions of dollars overhere in europe, we really need police mode), …

Personally I only run thumb remotes, brake integrated in the same lever. I simply do not understand the evolve remote hahaha (pushing a dead man switch, throttle and then to swap to the brake lever is something I cannot get use to :smiley: ) I prefer to pay more for a decent remote than to skim on 5 bucks…

Ah, something else anoying: if it can do firmware upgrades… correction: if I have to do firmware upgrades: make sure I can. I do not have a fancy chip programmer at home, plugging in a usb is something i CAN do. I need to do 4 remotes (5 as I need a replacement), so yes it can be a pain in the ass haha

And: test test test… I prefer to wait a week longer and have a working version than to have to upgrade the firmware already after 2 weeks of shipping, because inthe meantime bugs were found

My old but incredibly reliable remote :rofl: image Ugh I’ve come a long way.

I keep trying to picture a cylindrical remote with trigger brake and thrumb throttle that is reversible for people who like thumb brake, trigger throttle. @DerelictRobot, design all the things!

3 Likes

These are looking pretty dam cool. For my setup brakes are a staple. For Track racing and DH a must have for hard charging turn entry. UP-Hill not as much but still used for flatter grade turn entry set-up. @DerelictRobot nice work being done here :+1:

2 Likes

What is the product name of your “triggers” Would like to inspect the details of those two.

Put me on a list. Would love to test it out. Need brakes though

1 Like

List me up, looks promising what’s you eta?

ETA: future

1 Like

just wondering if i might to have a chance to get one before i leave for my world trip in august

I can’t answer for him. But I do know he’s going to be in and out of the county travelling for work until next month sometime. So it’s highly doubtful.

1 Like

Please read through my posts on here, you’ll see that is my top priority. It’s the entire reason behind my choice in radios and the extensive testing I’ve done and will continue to do.

For anyone worried about brakes… Please read what I wrote above. It’s a modular, reconfigurable design. Some people I’ve talked to do not want brakes, many do. The choice is entirely yours as there will be a few variants made available by the time I’m done. The standard offering is still a center return with throttle/brake.

But one of my primary design considerations is I want this remote to be a serviceable, modular, piece of gear that can be custom tailored exactly to rider preference. That’s why I’m going through the effort of designing multiple configurations.

A limited run of beta units will be available in March, I believe those dozen or so are already spoken for. Depending on how the beta goes and if I need to make major changes to the design, I’m looking to have the first small production batch of 50 units done by late April/early May. Subject to change, but I don’t move on to new projects until I’ve completed my current, so this will keep marching forward.

6 Likes

I’m excited to see this coming together man! I remember when @Skunk brought it to my attention and I’ve been watching ever since. Any idea I’ve had was already posted and asked but I’ll keep thinking!!

Seeing your quality of work or everything else you do, I know these things are gonna be the tits!

3 Likes

Yeah is there any way to make it more dong shaped? Asking for a friend…

7 Likes

Don’t let your dreams be dreams man. Go nuts.

But wait until you see the limited edition Jason-X. :smile:

11 Likes

Any updates on this guy?

4 Likes

Sorry I’d posted the updates elsewhere. :wink:

PCBs are in, right now I’m just waiting on the first order of Thumbwheels from the manufacturer.

Beta sign up is here:

Beta units will be reduced price from the final retail, but as I’ve already got more signups than expected I might have to decline some people as my stock allows for. I ordered enough parts to build out 25 units for the beta. These won’t be the final PCB version and it is a “print your own case/community printed version (Nylon 910 alloy filament, super tough)”, however all the expensive components are socketed so beta users will be given the final PCBs to bring their stuff up to production version when it’s done.

No money is being taken right now- I don’t really love pre-orders and am trying to avoid that, so once I have units ready to ship I’ll invoice. Approximate cost on beta units is $200 USD but subject to change.

https://forum./t/osrr-a-high-performance-open-source-racing-remote-for-esk8/322

11 Likes