Penny "Nickel" complete dual hub motors zippy 6s20c 3000mah x2 in series

I think I see your not using a CAN bus. Do you have both VESCs set to PPM? Go to General > App Configuration and make sure both are set to PPM or PPM with Uart if you are using bluetooth.

Your battery monitor is reading wrong because it probably hasn’t been set up correctly. Are there any buttons on the back of it? If so try holding one of them on start up and it should go into a programming mode where you tell it what type/how many cells you have. I can’t tell from the pic what kind of meter it is. Edit: for clarity

I know how to set it but not what to set it to.

I do have them both set to PPM. I’ve tried switching around a bunch of settings though. I was also trying to search to see what a can bus look like. So I still don’t know

Are your PPM wires going to the receiver going to the same channel (slot on the receiver)? It looks like they aren’t.

You can try swapping them and the other wheel should spin if this is the case.

If that’s the problem you want to make a y cable of sorts so that both ppm cables go to the same 3 pins on the receiver.

Oh ok sorry, I probably can’t help you then. I had to search around and find a manual for mine online, the guy who sold it to me didn’t include one.

It’s just a 2 wire lead that connects the VESCs so you have a master and slave. You can get them from @torqueboards pretty cheap.

They’re connected like this

1 Like

Splitting the RX channels is the other method of using dual VESCs. Looks right but hard to tell from the pic.

They’re both spinning now! Woot

1 Like

Yay :grinning:. What was the problem?

Not a clue. But I did again resold er a bunch of stuff. Got it back together and they both worked. Going to take some getting used to. It’s super powerful

UPDATE: I finally have a working board. Thanks for all the help. Had to ditch a few things, resolder stuff at least 4 times. Probably the longest thing I had to work on for the project. I still have an altoids headlight that I made that I’ll eventually put on there. Will reevaluate my battery meter. It was hard fitting everything into the small space, plus I lost the power cable to my good drill so I didn’t put anymore holes in to house the meter. I also bought a little camera on hobbyking.com that I want to find a nice spot for. Of course an easier way to charge the batteries would be great in the future, and actually incorporating an easier to use power switch. It’s not too difficult to open the enclosure for access to the stuff inside. Just use the skate tool to unscrew one side and slide it over.

Still not a fan of the big wheels and trucks

4 Likes

I use a 3d printed panel mount for xt90-s connectors. Just drill a hole and hit glue it in. Searxh for my mini-logo build and you can see it in aactio. PM me you address I’ll mail you one.

1 Like

how does it ride i want to put my build on a penny

Will keep you updated. I left it in the car for a few days thinking I’d ride it and didn’t get the chance and now it won’t go. I think it overheated in my car… Womp Womp Womp…

So I got the chance to take it out, but it wouldn’t go at first. I think maybe it was too hot in my car so I kept it inside for a while before I tried it again. It worked again, but after about a minute of riding it, it stopped again. Lights stayed on each time the motors weren’t moving. Gave it a break again, and it worked again. Not sure if it’s over heating, or somethings loose. But I’ll take it apart tonight to see what I can figure out

Also, it seems as though it may be too powerful for me. Would it be a better idea to wire the batteries in parallel? I have to be extremely light on the throttle. While Im riding it tends to get jumpy and nearly throw me off.

You could run it in 6s, no worries. You might want to limit the VESC motor max setting first and see how that goes for you. As far as running for a min and then not, It could be a million things. SOunds like maybe a cold solder joint that expands when it gets hot and looses contact. I would see if the VESC is still on when the cut-out occurs.

I charged the batteries and it seems to work now :joy: rookie mistake. I did resold er like 4 times already. Hopefully that was it. Won’t get a chance to try it again til tomorrow when my kids aren’t with me. Nervous to stuff everything back in the enclosure but I’ll see. Thanks for the suggestions. This thing shoots from under me. I ordered a parallel connector that’ll I’ll try when it gets here.