Pit Bull | Hi5ber Raptor | Caliber | OM 200kv | 10s LiPo | VESC

New here, first post, first build. I have been reading hard for the past week and I still don’t know where to start! I won’t be ordering anything until July as I am away all of June so at this stage I am still building my list, any help is greatly appreciated.

I want to make a compact but stable, light weight commuter with a good range 25km+

Carbon Deck - http://www.hi5ber.com/raptor - its only 6 inches across the middle, is this going to restrict my battery choice?

DIYesk8 Hardware - diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/torqueboards-dual-motor-mechanical-kit/

DIYesk8 Motor & VESC - diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/dual-motor-electric-skateboard-kit/

Battery - This is where I am really confused! - the only 10S I can find is this - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-compact-4000mah-10s-25c-lipo-pack.html - Are these suitable? Do I need more than one of these? how many?

I am open to changing things up I just went the kits so I knew they would work.

Oh, and I’m short and light 5’6 70kg

light weight and 25km + range is a contradiction. :slight_smile: It will never be “light” and “fun to carry around” when you have that kind of range

Right, i get that. I guess range is more important than weight. So can you help me out with with the battery? Its my understanding that i will need 3 or 4 of those listed in parallel, is that right?

No. That would not be the best way to go about to create your battery.

For 25 km you will need 250-300 WH in your battery (10 Wh /km is an estimated )

10s is the usual battery configuration.with 190 kv motor. 10s is 36V => 300 Wh / 36V = 8333 mAh battery.

So what you need is a battery of 10s and 8333 mAh.

you have two choices now . going li ion or lipo. I have both and like the lipo’s more (which is very unpopular but I like the extra discharge rate)

Take 2 of those and connect them in series

OR for a longer but flatter pack you could go with the 8000 mah 30c 2s1p packs from zippy flightmax

Ok, I think I understand now. So if I wanted more than 8000mah I could connect 4x 5s 8000mah (2 in series and 2 in parralel) giving me 10s2p at 1600mah. Provided it all fits in the space I have.

The other option I am considering is making up my own pack of li ion. But this would mean sourcing someone locally to weld them up etc. Is it worth going down that road. Why is that more popular?

One more question i have is how do dual motors affect battery life? And how does it affect my choice of battery?

Thanks again.