Planning on building an esk8 but have some questions

Take a chance to look around https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/decks/all/, @kenn . Your best bet is to buy a top mount / downhill deck with not much flex.

I personally use Earthwing Superglider and I’m very happy with it. I’m actually not a big fan of some LY decks; their W-concave is really aggressive.

“more issues” - burnt DRV if >60k ERPM w/ VESC 4.xx

60k ERPM ~= 10s 190kv, 12s 168/149kv to stay below. Or lower kv always works if you find. lower kv = slower, so pay attention to your gearing.

gearing - figure out your target speed and gears. esk8.it calculator

1 Like

LOL, I figured there would be someone :slight_smile:.

@kenn Look at the 5S 5000mah 25c packs at hobbyking.com, but they you are getting into soldering and making harness cables…so be prepared.

Definitely a catch 22 situation.

2 Likes

Here are my calculations with the 12s battery http://calc.esk8.it/#{“batt-type-lipo”:0,“batt-cells”:12,“motor-kv”:190,“system-efficiency”:85,“motor-pulley-teeth”:16,“wheel-pulley-teeth”:36,“wheel-size”:83}|

The ERPM seems to be around 57k so is that ok if I use a 12s3p battery?

I don’t want to get into soldering and stuff like that haha

I’d stick with the kit then. Also, You can use the chat function on the DIY site to ask them specific questions about what parts come in the kit and what else you might need. Or just ask Dexter here (@torqueboards).

So if I choose the 6374 motor and a 12s3p battery would that work since these choices are different from the kit

I would assume the phase wire connectors are the same on both motors, but I would ask Ralph or Dexter in the DIY chat to make sure. The same for the battery packs, the are probably both XT90 or XT60.

Ok thank you I’ll have more questions ahead😃

1 Like

I asked and they said both batteries are XT 90 what does that exactly mean

Just to throw in a reference here, I have a DIYElectric 6355 190kv motor, 12s1p of Zippy compact batteries in a 4x3s 5000mAh, and I haven’t hit top speed yet. I’ve rode a total of 11.8 miles (varied speed) and I’m sitting at about 47% on my voltage meter :3

Fastest I’ve gone is 25.6 mph, lowkey scared to go faster without more than my bike gloves and helmet lol

I am also light (140lbs) and it charges up hills for the most part, plan to upgrade to dual 6355 later for better brakes (they are really just average rn) and better hill climbing. However, I’ve done a few short 20% hills no problem.

1 Like

That’s the connector type, your good. Did you ask about the moro phase wire connections?

They said the 6374 motor is compatible so the connections must be the same?

Its safe to assume that the phase wire connections are the same. Every motor I’ve ever bought from Dexter has had 5.5mm connectors, and I’ve bought a dozen or so.

1 Like

ESC: VESC diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/vesc-the-best-electric-skateboard-esc/

Remote: diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/torqueboards-2-4ghz-mini-remote-controller/

Motor: 6374 motor diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/motor-6374-190kv-3150w/

Motor mount and drive wheel kit: diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/single-bolt-on-motor-mount-with-drive-wheel-kit/?attribute_motor-mount-size=63mm+Motors&attribute_drive-wheel-gearing=16T%2F36T+12mm+Kegel+Drive+Wheel+Kit

Trucks: 218mm torqueboard diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/torqueboards-218mm-trucks/

Are the pro v2 trucks better from DIY?

Battery: 12s3p diy-electric-skateboard-kits-parts/electric-skateboard-battery-epower-pack-12s3p/

Also if anything is missing from the build let me know

1 Like

Make sure you get the correct motor mounts for the trucks you get, the 218mm trucks use a different motor clamp than the standard caliber II trucks. I would suggest getting the normal caliber II tucks to start. They are more standard, people will be better able to help during the build process, it will look better on a regular longboard.