Powerful hub or direct drive for a diy build?

Torque boards is coming out with a direct drive there are also some gear drives

1 Like

The thing is hub motors compact a lot into a little space. Parts need to fit perfectly in very tight spaces. Most will cheap out on quality and youā€™ll pay for that later. You either buy quality once or buy cheap over and over.

Now the problem too is everyone has a different definition of powerful. I donā€™t consider May tech or koowheel hubs to be high power by any means for example. I feel safe say you could do 2500 watt continuous per motor with hummie hubs without significant heat build up, and probably more. Just havenā€™t been able to test it yet.

2 Likes

There isnā€™t enough load for my hummies to maintain high wattage. Simiply not possible.

I do 1500 watts con quite frequently per motor. I am just simply limited by the vescā€™s Iā€™m using (4.12ā€™s) to go higher. I have yet to break 155 F, even on steep uphills for over a mile.

I would suggest trying some hubs before you buy - for me I just canā€™t get past the 15mm (or around that) of thane.

If you ride on smooth straight roads youā€™ll be fine and value for money is good, and perfect to get a taste of eSk8!

BUT if you expect cornering at speed to ā€˜feel similarā€™ to your current wheels the only options are ā€˜real wheelsā€™ and belt/direct drive.

All that said I still need some @Hummie hubs in my life LOL :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@sk8l8r Do you have a pair of hummie hubs/on the list for a pair?

Not yetā€¦gear drive next then hubs build

But they are the only hubs Iā€™ve seen that excite me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Gear drive?

They are a work of art those hubs.

1 Like

Are you USA? I went in on a group buy for the Mad Hubs setup by @rey8801 . I paid $310 total with shipping. Still brand new, 75kv, comes all setup to plug into vescs. Iā€™ll sell you these for what I paid and you pay shipping. Iā€™ve been wanting some hummies so Iā€™ll either sell these or end up with two hub builds.

2 Likes

Something like this