PSA: Be careful assembling Li-ion Battery packs

Definitely seen the posts, it’s just the majority of battery builds I see lack the extra material between series. I’ve seen a lot of them using like 3 nickel strips and calling it good.

well if you don’t push your board and keep the amps low, why not. But the people who are actually pulling more and want to be safe do that often.

A lot of it depends on the distance you’re traveling. If you are going the 3/4" from one cel to another there’s not that much resistance so the above advice might be a little pessimistic. If you’re going the length of the pack then definitely you want to go with bigger wire.

1 Like

What strips peeps are using in the middle of the pack? On the outside it is easy to apply some braided wire but the inside currently stops me building the pack. Still bothers me since months!!! What’s the general setup for a higher amp draw?

Don’t wanna end up with a pack like this. This is just not well done. Starting from the huge amount of kapton tape to no fishpaper rings and finally single spot welds on cells!!!

if you dont want to use braided wire , just use your normal silicone wire

Yeah that was my first pack build that I ripped apart to make safe before ever using it. Definitely had more than one spot weld per cell though.

I’m talking about the parallel connections, not the series connections. C my above post.

for the series connections between P packs most ppl use 12awg silicon insulated copper braided wire. Or you could use a bus bar.

well i answered that already. what amps do you draw divide that by your p count and look up at the chart.

But for cell level fusing fo example if ia 22awg fuse wire is used from the positive terminal to a bus bar and is rated for 24amps then at least a 0.3 x 7mm nickel strip would need to be used to group the parallel cells?

24a for a fuse wire? what are you building mate. edit: ok since fusewire is a failsafe 24a seems ok. so no problem there.

22awg is the recommended wire thickness to use for cell level fusing on Chaka’s article for a 10s6p pack.

I would have thought though if the batt max was set to 80amps and I was running a 10s5p pack then the max amp discharge per Parallel group should be 16amps. So per cell that is 3.2amps max which means that using 0.15mm x 0.7 mm nickel strip (optimal under 4.7amps) for each attached to a fuse wire should be fine?

16amp per cell. not 3.2

batteries in parallel act like one cell.

But if I’m connecting a 22awg fuse wire to a nickel strip for each cell going to a bus bar then surely that individual cells max is only 3.2 (16 over 5) image

sorry just read the above… Cool :grinning:

why not start with something small to perfect your technique and then go to a 10s5p

can I ask why your not just welding the fuse wire directly to the cell? (building a pack right now)

I’d rather limit the amount of heat to the cell if possible.