PSA: Don't try to run off your board at high speed, just go down

i was going downhil and the force was too much, they gradually release the faster you go since you can only throw so much current into the battery.

HAd i been on flats it would have been different. But i was already going fast and then a hill happened.

Another reason to do 4wd. Spread that current put among 4 motors. I can stop on the down of a15% grade hill going 35 mph with out issue.

2 Likes

I actually think it’s a bit better to fall going down a hill than a flat because there will be less force when you hit the ground. When I fell it was on a kinda steep hill and I believe it helped a lot to get me into a roll. On a flat it would take much more force to get into a roll, therefore a LOT more road rash.

1 Like

Wear gloves

1 Like

Oh shit that looks bad howd you manage that?

Not concentrating and over confident, without my gloves! Did have my helmet on, but it was hand or chin so hand took over. Was doing about 25mph and just started to wobble,

I don’t care if you have 8 motors if the cutoffs are set lower (to protect the pack and prevent BMS shutdown from too high of a charge current) the brakes will gently give up resistance as it becomes too much for the pack to handle. i can brake at 35mph too, but apparently at 40 with a downhill load on my settings at the time they seemed to gradually give way.

having more motors doesn’t change the fact that you have to protect the BMS and pack from overcharge.

1 Like

Man that’s some bad rash. And I wear a full body armor suit lol, torso/arms are getting replaced with a POC VPD 2.0 DH jacket in the mail.

5 Likes

Like i said I was a fool, love the gear, I need to invest.

1 Like

It’s pretty much how you land that will determine your injuries,just accept it and fall off! I came off a motorbike at £50+mph down hill,I hit black ice, the steering went wonky then I caught it back ,got it straight and then hit another patch of black ice and couldn’t control it and accepted my destiny. I slide downhill on concrete for a few hundred yards. My girlfriends step dad was just about to pull out of the side road on his way to work but seen me fall off! He got out his car and by the time I finished sliding was at his feet,I looked up and seen his face and was like “alright dave” he was like
yeah
you!! Lol Just thought Id share an amusing crash story of mine :wink: All I ended up with was road rash,apparently not tensing up and just accepting it helped!

1 Like

@longhairedboy If your building a board for high speeds wouldn’t it be better to bypass discharge like Jason did with the spacecell to avoid cut off?

I need my boards to shut down when the pack’s dead. Completely shut down, not just kill the VESCs.

Has the raptor been tested braking downhill at 40mph and above? i’d like to see it.

1 Like

Iv had the same issues with brake cut off when I built my first pack from laptop cells ages ago so know the feeling of the brake cut off!! :grimacing: Not had any issues with my spacecell though but iv not reached top speed downhill too busy where I live would put other people in danger!

And why you use lipos. I don’t have this issue. If you rode my board, you’d realize that the brakes are extremely strong at all speeds, on any hill.

Just going mention this, but you guys are using the wrong cells also. There’s a new li-ion cell I’m looking at that I could fit a 12s3p of in my current board, with 120a max con mooch rating, and not much bigger than the 18650.

Everyone in this industry follows like sheep when someone builds something new. Sometimes, you gota think outside the box and adapt to new solutions, and that’s what I plan on doing soon.

2 Likes

If you found a good place to buy the 30T’s share with us lol.:pray:

Unless its something else, a 3P 30T pack can put out 120A but charge rate would still be only 18A total for braking (Assuming you are one of the people that wont turn your batt min past 2C or are limited by a low max BMS charge rate :wink:).

I haven’t found a good place, but they look much more promising than the 18650s. I will have a battery pack ready for sale in the near future with these cells though :slight_smile:

Now the next question and experiment is to determine whether charging over the recommended max current of 4A in bursts would damage the battery. Since the average braking time for most boards is probably somewhere between 2-5 seconds, I wonder if it’ll have any affect on longevity. Now for edge cases like extremely long (.5+ miles) hills, I guess that would depend on what speed you are riding you brakes, since from what I can tell, full recharge current wouldn’t be applied unless you apply full brakes at somewhere north of max speed. Even then, you aren’t maintaining that recharge current for very long, so over time, the battery would see max recharge current only briefly. Besides heat, are there any variables that contribute to cell decay? If not, would pulsing high recharge current significantly heat up the battery?

4 Likes

My braking regen currents have been set at upwards of 40A total for quite some time. I havent noticed any real degradation of capacity or battery heat yet but not saying it wont happen.

1 Like

ATFL and CFL tear
 likely AMA Grade III since this was the second to third time it’s happened. Damn man, you’re gonna need major sx for that
wish you the best of luck and a fast recovery dude. But regardless, hope this was a lesson learned

1 Like

Is this based on your huge LiFePo4 pack? I know those batteries are a lot more lenient
I guess time will tell. It doesn’t help that different chemistries react differently
and data sheets all say the same thing as far as charge rate is concerned. Battery university says it’s ok though, as long as it’s not in saturation charge. ( ÍĄÂș ͜ʖ ÍĄÂș)