PSA: Don't try to run off your board at high speed, just go down

When I first got my board I bailed running and was like fucking Clark Kent from smallville☇🏃☇It’s very deceptive how fast your going sometimes but no way you could have run that one off! Hope you heal up quick Bro.

I can’t even count the number of time 97 mm avoided me a serious crash. I wish you well man.

1 Like

Sad to heard that. hope you can recover well soon.

I fell a year ago,it was hurt, still frighten me each time I get on the board…

These 100mm MBS’s didn’t save me from the sidewalk bump I hit unfortunately. :frowning:

1 Like

Wow! hope you heal up quickly, that’s some serious fast boards.

Thanks for this post. It’s important that people learn from these kinds of incidents. Jake and i are all banged up but we’re alive and unbroken because we follow these rules:

1. don’t go into battle with a borrowed weapon
  2. don’t start a fight in a strange bar

Combined they mean that you should always know what you have, know where you are and what’s around you (situational awareness), and know your limitations, and don’t go outside those limitation in unfamiliar territory.

11 Likes

Amen, I’ve hit a pothole that crossed the whole road, looked like demons were coming out of the earth, threw me up in the air, but somehow rode through. Have a nice dent in the can of my poor Carvon…

I think there are some standard get-off techniques from longboarding.

The slalom (short, but somehow still a longboarding discipline?) guys were telling me, wear hard knee pads and practice sliding onto your knees. This can be done pretty reliabley, but can be a bad muscle memory thing if you don’t always wear knee pads.

And from silverfish, I think Mr. Chris Chaput?, said if you have slide gloves. with practice you can fall onto your hands and toes pretty reliably and safely. Hard to deal with the remote though…

@evoheyax is your board up for sale? :wink: Heal fast, need testing on those new wheels and tires!

My board is not for sale yet, but will be in the near future. Working on securing a good bms and making batteries now. Also need to make a better mold to press decks. Going to give things another go soon. Next deck I make will be a complete for sale!

2 Likes

Sometimes there is nothing you can do, like when a little kid darts out from between two cars chasing a baseball and you are carving at almost 20mph.

You can… A: Run him down, both get hurt, have his dad beat me while I’m down then get sued, or B: Try to run it out, realize you aren’t a cartoon character then proceed to tuck and roll

I chose option B.

5 Likes

Rough… Shit happens and I think we all have so many safe rides, that we forget, it just takes one.

4 Likes

@evoheyax sorry to here it man, recover well! And like @psychotiller said, glad it wasn’t a head injury!

1 Like

You have to practice coming off the board at 30mph. Start w full leathers and a six pack

Falling on your hands and going into a roll is the best way of stopping. Fell going 32+ mph with only a helmet, shirt, and shorts. Only have a small scar on the bottom of my palm now however had bits of road rash all over my body after the fall. Wear gloves.

This guy demonstrates this type of fall pretty well at 1:25. He was going 40 mph when he fell. Go to 1:25.

2 Likes

Now that was a heavy fall… I wasn’t like that though. I feel like if I had gotten thrown off like that, i’d be ok, cause I know how to fall on a normal street board at high speed, and usually, its cause in a rotation and/or flip trick, you down get the board straight enough to ride it out. In those cases, your lower to the ground in the first place. I was just standing up right when I got thrown off, and at 6 foot 1 inch, I’m a long ways away from the ground. Not using my feet would have been an even harder slam.

1 Like

If you’d had a tight fitting full leather outfit with a big front zipper and chow fur collar with airbags that popped out in hundredths of a second with a gyroscope sensor in your helmet or something you still would’ve been fucked up.

3 Likes

run off haha

3 Likes

Jez, get well soon m8. Thanks for sharing your story.

he got up a lot quicker than i did in virginia when i hit the street at about the same speed. Brakes don’t work at 40 you know… ride it out or roll it out. lol

1 Like

That song was cool lol

@longhairedboy why didn’t your brakes work at 40?