Question on CAN vs split ppm

I’m going dual but since I’m using different 2 diff motor, 190 and 260kv, and gear ration is a bit different to compensate as well, 15/36 and 12/36.

I think 2 receiver may be better solution, What do you think?

And another one, Does Traction control helps on loose ground significantly?

I wouldn’t call traction control an essential feature, but it does help a bit if you hit sand, or gravel, etc.

1 Like

split ppm, safest method as i know

1 Like

I wouldn’t run can on different KV motors… Stick to split ppm…

This is coming from a guy who runs sensored FOC over CanBus with traction control exclusively on my personal boards…

1 Like

That’s what I thought. I saw many fired vesc even with experienced builders without any of my problem. Thanks

1 Like

I fried several VESC’s trying to make a CANBUS connection, stupidly without an antispark switch. Been running split ppm since then with no problems. I won’t try another CAN connection until I’m more confident in my skillset, and the price of VESC’d comes down a bit more. I split out the ppm signal wire alone, and it works great.

2 Likes

I’ve always done split ppm or dual receiver. Always remove one positive wire from the splitter and you should be all good. A lot of people swear by canbus but it seems easier for it to go wrong.

1 Like

Don’t you mean remove one +5v wire?

1 Like

Doh, yep. that’s the one. My apologies for leading astray… Will edit now.

2 Likes

Thanks guys, Since I have 5 receivers because the seller sent me 2 times, I will use 2, cuz it’s easier

1 Like

And gives you some backup if parts fail. You can always get home if a vesc, motor or receiver blows. One half should always work.

2 Likes

Is there tutorial how to configure dual focbox split ppm? Thank you in advance for help :slight_smile:

You have three wires of the receiver. +5v Signal Ground

Solder signal together. Solder ground together. You have two +5v wires. One on each vesc. Cut one +5v wire. You only need to connect one +5v wire to the receiver. So in the end you’ll have one +5v wire, 2 signal wires and two ground wires connected to the receiver.

Hope this helps.

6 Likes

Thank you for clarifying that part for me, it is really helpful. I am just starting to assemble my emtb so I have couple of more questions : motor detection and configuration is done on each motor separately? Is there some recommendation regarding the motor and battery settings?

Motor detection and detection has to be done separately for each motor. There are a few emtb builds you can copy here on the forum.

Seriously, it seems to me that you only signed up yesterday. No hard feelings.

I’ve asked this before but I am still not totally understanding how to do this. Could someone please explain how to set up 4 VESC’s for 4WD? Please if someone could draw a diagram that would be helpful. I’ve heard to daisy chain a canbus, I was thinking about connecting 2 VESC together for a front and rear drive, and then connect those via ppm, or just using two receivers for the front and rear, but I’ve also heard that’s bad… Can I get a DETAILED explanation please???

No reason for had feelings. I just started the assembly and I had difficulty finding the right answers on questions that concerned me :slight_smile:

1 Like