RAPTOR 2 | Most Powerful Direct Drive Electric Skateboard | Kickstarter

^^^ Hope these proposed tests by the “stats geeks” don’t hold up the R2 production timeline.

http://raptor2.enertionboards.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/PRODUCTION-TIMELINE-1.jpg

Want my R2 by May 2017 cheers :grinning:

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s accurate to think of sag in terms of time as a variable. Main contributing factor of sag is based on internal resistance of the cell, as soon as you pull current out, you will see the drop (across internal resistance) the drop is INSTANTANEOUS (disregarding inductance)

The reason they are rating these in terms of time (95A <0.5sec) is you’re burning tons of watts across that resistance internally so it’s a thermal issue. Not that “and then after time x volts won’t be as good”

How many JOULES can your 18650 package dissipate. Maybe you can mitigate this by a couple percent with clever thermal management of your battery pack/case but internally the power is just huge and difficult to get rid of.

Warmer cells actually perform better (lower resistance) but much warmer than warm and you’re damaging the battery, we already know this. Note how the times change - 40A for 5 sec, 30A 6 sec, basically current squared it what’s being dissipated across a (relatively constant) internal resistance. Keep the joules low = keep internal temp low.

Also I find the comments hilarious and encourage the competition, we should all be fact-checking each other’s science and we should all be trying to make a better design than the next guy. While also taking the best ideas from the community and building on them :slight_smile: The better esk8s get, we all win

2 Likes

^^^ Power system has its own thread. Mods please move

I don’t understand why this post was flagged. Totally reasonable post. No reason it should be removed.

1 Like

The problem is, to what degree do we want to sort this forum. I think the problem with creating a separate topic for power discussions is that these 2 thread go hand and hand. If we have 2 threads, there’s some overlap of both. I think the power discussion is relevant to the rest of the discussion of this board, and moving it out of here makes it more complicated to reply to comments made here. Just because someone says something here, that I need to mention something about the power system in response to, I need to reply to it in the power system thread?

I’ll leave this up to the mods, but It seems to me these 2 discussions overlap, and splitting it makes it more confusing and difficult to respond to…

1 Like

I’d agree. I believe the power discussion was started due to marketing claims, which I believe is relevant in this thread. Maybe a good compromise is to provide a little more detail on the claims without going in depth (or maybe linking to an in-depth source).

I can easily change the max watts to 3600Watts instead of 3360Watts

This is 36V nominal & 100A Peak (50A Max Per VESC)

here’s the battery spec sheet

1 Like
2 Likes

Raptor 2 early prototype being assembled.

4 Likes
7 Likes

Nice! That sounded like it was running in BLDC mode, right? Would love to see a comparison to FOC, but that can probably wait until the final motor prototypes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice video all looking good :+1: @onloop. What is the gradient app you are using on the smartphone?..could do with that app myself to test a hill near me?

Unfortunate will have to reprimand you on helmet safety as you were not wearing during test…Though will let you off as could see the helmet on the side of the verge in the drone shot :slight_smile:( guess excitement of the test got in the way)

Can anyone explain this? I recognized the hill from his earlier mono vs boosted video and the numbers dont quite match up. (click on the picture to get to the album)

6 Likes

That’s steep hill and a of weight.

I would like to see it climb multiple hills when there is some heat.

Most systems are not going to heat up and cut power from just one hill on a cool day.

I agree with @CSN. Something in the same vein as the Ollin hill climb which is more reflective of what happens in real life - it’s not like in real life you drive to a hill with a full charge, go up it, and then pack it up and leave. Usually the hills are mixed into your ride. The weight seems about right though - that’s how much I weigh when I commute.

The climb is still pretty impressive on HUBS and the weight. To give Jason the benefit of the doubt, I don’t think he intentionally is deceiving, just using an app and maybe forgetting what he posted in his old videos.

1 Like

numbers aside, that is a pretty steep hill and the raptor really pulls up quickly.

1 Like

@Jinra got him!

1 Like

whats with this hostility? live and let live :neutral_face:

6 Likes

Always the best from you Jason! Can’t wait to see all your latest innovations. Such a sleek design and the quality we have come to expect from Enertion! Those hubs put everyone else to shame!

The Acton QU4TRO is 1600W CONTINUOUS. I emailed and asked.