RAPTOR 2 | Most Powerful Direct Drive Electric Skateboard | Kickstarter

Can I just say who ever preodered the R2 at that $899. It is the bargain of the year. Even at the price it is at the moment its a bargain. Once these things are out and the feedback from users comes through its going to be mad.

4 Likes

Itā€™s certainly looking promising. Time will tell!

More Urethan => Softer Ride Itā€™s a difference riding 80mm solid steel +10mm Urethan compared to riding 25mm Urethan on a plactic core. And the type of Urethan do also matter, ABEC11 75a is much better than Raptor 1 PowerWheels Urethan for example.

Carvon-Style would be an improvement, it adds more weight but I thinkt itā€™s worth it. You could also use suspension trucks, they are not super great but it helps.

Inflated all-terrains donā€™t look like a longboard anymore, I donā€™t like that very much.

more urathane does not equal a softer ride. its more dependent on the hardness and rebound of the urathane than anything elseā€¦ you can have a low aspect ratio wheel and have it soft and smooth with reasonable speedā€¦and you can have a solid urathane huge wheel and have it hard as a rock so every grain of sand feels like vibration.

what you have to think about with these wheels is scaleā€¦ it looks thin because its only so much of the total ā€œwheelā€ā€¦ but the wheel is huge, so the amount of urathane there is fine.

Hopefully they have a good formular similiar to abec11. Iā€™m going to test the soft-difference between the Ghosts, Abecs and MBSs in Mai, June or July whenever the Raptor 2 hits the city. Yes, the wheel is huge, but diameter is only 90mm (same as my Yuneec), so it is the smalest of the huge wheels. The Ghost is wider, Iā€™m not sure if that is a good or bad thing in terms of ride comfort, weeā€™l see.

GOING LIVE ON FACEBOOK IN 25MINS

LIVE Q&A

ask me anything

1 Like

Cant seem to find the live feed

Just scroll down a little on the facebook page where the comments are and youā€™ll see it.

LINK TO LIVE Q&A VIDEO

finally watched the video all the way through. I got some nice info, and thanks for the updateā€¦ but on one subject you tried, but ended up doing a horrible job explaining why a hub motor can work without the visible gearing of the belt drive.

I know BLDC motors as well, but the field strengths effects on Kv, keeping the flux contained etcā€¦ is not something intuitive that can be explained easily to the casual person. This is how I would try if I were you:

(hold up your belt driven motor) this motor can output enough power to move a person, but it spins at high RPM. (hold up your hub motor) this motor can output the same power to move a person, but it spins at lower RPM.

since the motor turns slower, but its putting out the same power, torque is increased. Have it spin slow enough, and you can have it directly turn the wheel. again, same power, but different speeds.

To put it another way, give the belt motor 40 volts and it will spin at 9800 RPM (or whatever it is for your motor) give the hub motor that same 40 volts, and it will only spin at 3000RPM (or whatever it is for your motor) The speed is lower, so the torque increases. The belt driven motor increases its torque with the belt ratio. It trades its high speed for torque. The hub motor naturally stays in the proper speed range, because its designed for the application. Thats why it works without a belt.

then you can go back into your whole ā€œbelt driven boards are based off whats available in the hobby industry, instead of being designed for the taskā€ part that you mentioned.

1 Like

The only thing missing is that the torque is directly proportional to the current, but so are the I^2R losses and others

So for a hub motor to keep its pace to a belted setup and not overheat it has to be designed to be really efficient, but i think Jason is more than capable of doing it

@onloop Ordered a raptor 2 last night! Was wondering if you know how many will go out in the first batch in May. Will people who order now. Make the first batch?

1 Like

According to what he has said, they will be shipped out in the order receivedā€¦ however everyone will be in on this first batch since he is starting with about 500 boards and the count is still below 400.

1 Like

Awesome, thatā€™s good news. Thanks

uhh, also keep in mind, he only has a 5 day lead between when the last parts SHOULD arrive, and when the first boards are supposed to start shipping, so if ANYTHING happens to slow it down, you may not get yours until the very end of the month, or possibly the next. still better than most kickstarters, but dont have a big skate trip planned before it arrives.

Thanks for the valued order. We are pushing hard to order 500 units in the first batch, this will cover all orders & leave us with stock to sell at the full price so we can finally make some profitā€¦ This will really set us up to take on the big players.

To order this many Raptor 2 we need to spend nearly $400K USD in a 50-day windowā€¦ :slight_smile: Thatā€™s over half a million in Australian Dollars.

At the moment we are in limbo, if we donā€™t sell enough over the next 40-50 days we might fall short of our 500unit targetā€¦ of course we can do a smaller first batch to get the orders out faster to the early orders & Kickstarter backers, however that means a higher unit price per part meaning hard to calculate a firm delivery window on the 2nd batch which i am sure will annoy all the people who have placed their orders in 2017ā€¦ Very stressful & also exhilarating time for enertion!

Anyway, i still have a very small amount of time to make this decisionā€¦ Itā€™s very exciting and we will make the decisions based on trying to satisfy as many people as possible whilst also sticking to our extremely tight delivery windowā€¦

The next two weeks are critical.

GOING LIVE ON FACEBOOK IN 20MINS FOR ANOTHER UPDATE

3 Likes

I donā€™t think thereā€™s any chance that you wont sell 500 unitsā€¦ I know money is the great motivator, but its a better board than the majority of the competition at a much better price point. If you can affor the risk, Iā€™d say go with 500 units in the firs batch, I think you will be happy with the result.

Hell, if I had the money Iā€™d loan it to you at 15% and make a fortune! :slight_smile:

The risk is that the quality of the assembly isnā€™t good and that he needs to write off 500 units, I guessā€¦

Naw, I think its safe to assume he using a lot of the same manufacturing that hes been using for the last 2 years. They have been tried and tested. I donā€™t think thereā€™s much chance of a crap board under those conditions.

Iā€™m not saying crap, but less qualitative than he was expecting.