Raptor riding experience. The good

Starting to feel a little irresponsible…I just wear a normal skate helmet, no other pads. I’m not full throttle that much though…maybe 15% of the time.

@Dedbny are wearing pads every time you ride?

1 Like

Ive already come off before, so lessoned learned. It really hurts hitting pavement at speed without it. If Im just going for slow cruise only helmet, but I cant resist going fast. If you know what I mean.

Not irresponsible at all. What ever your comfortable in. Helmet a min.

1 Like

Coming off at speed would definitely suck. Probably time for me to invest in some protective gear…I have your same problem.

It only takes one fall.

One fall at speed…afterwards I am sure you will never be seen on a board without protective gear.

I’ve hit speeds above 30mph on a regular longboard, never fell. I did have one fall on a boosted board at less than 20 mph when a car pulled out in front of me and there were a few potholes I couldn’t avoid, I was only wearing a helmet and no pads/gloves. Helmet saved my head, and all the areas where I didn’t have protection got jacked up. Here’s my right hand post wipe out.

1 Like

Where your fingers got shredded is probably where most of my damage would occur if I came off as I only wear a wrist protector. Tried gloves but you dont get the same feel of the controller.

Need fingerless gloves or cut the glove

@Michaelinvegas I’ve got some Loaded gloves which suits my needs perfect.

Very thin leather and a good throttle control in the finger. Velcro straps on the wrists and of course sliding pucks. Right now I only use one puck but @chaka is hopefully making one with a integrated remote near future. If you have done some downhill you would never ride without gloves because you would know that these are the most useful item on your safety equipment. (Of course you should wear a helmet too!)

Anyway back to the topic of this thread. It is working very good and holds up some mean treating. I have done a sweet ride on the Raptor today which i like to share because I’m very pleased with it.

Note the first 4,5 Kilometers were uphill. Around 330 m of elevation. 394 m in total.

9% climb rate in average.

I don’t know how correct these GPS measurement is but that long downhill section is almost straight and I get a ridicules speed down there. The breaks still wok good like you can see on the graph. I slow down a couple of times in this section because there are some mean potholes and cracks.

Yes thats my track elevation in the first and speed in the second picture.

Sorry it wasn’t possible to change the app langue to English. I will record that ride one day because it’s a good one.

1 Like

Question for you, have you had any issues with the exposed motors? One of my concerns is that the exposed motors may be more likely to take hits when going up onto sidewalks or over other rough surfaces that could hit it.

And if something were to happen to your motor, is it covered under the warranty? @onloop 's TOS on his website seem to suggest that all electrical component’s have a very limited warranty, and stuff that breaks from “extreme riding or overuse”. Wondering what really counts as extreme and if it takes a hit how much do we have to pay to replace?

If the product has a manufacturing fault we will replace it free of charge once we are satisfied that the fault is as a result of manufacturing and NOT from extreme riding or overuse

The first thing what hits something is the mount. You’ll learn quick which obstacles are okay and which aren’t. If you hit a sidewalk very hard with the motor you can damage it even it takes a bigger hit you might think. Personally I think Enertion is forgiving with his Raptor customers and they’ll send you the spare parts for free with a “be carful mate.” At least that’s my experience.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, how fast has shipping been for replacement parts for you?

To Germany usually one week or less. But the Raptor sadly parked some time in the customs.

Ive taken my Raptor on many different paving conditions. The mounts have some minor scratches. Motor has some very minor scratches as well. As @onloop has said previously you need to go up kerbs on an angle, but really you dont want to go down stepped concrete paving say 30mm or more. You would slow down for these or stop. I always thought the motors should hang from back, but assume due to the kick tail it would more likely get hit at the back. So I think the position of the motors is good. Also makes it less obvious you have motors there. Everyone is surprised when I tell them theres 2 motors under the back wheels.

Another thing, if you are comparing to the boosted you used to have…

The wheels on the raptor I found out are much bigger than the 75 mm wheels on the boosted, so there is actually more clearance compared to how much the boosted had. My boosted’s motor mounts got totally scratched up just after a couple of rides. So that higher clearance is a plus for the raptor. On the flipside, if you do get any damage by rocks or anything like that, it is going to go to the motor directly since the motor doesn’t have an enclosure.

Hmm, makes sense. I was just concerned about having to be super mindful of the surfaces I go up. I was thinking it would affect the number of things I could go over, but if the main thing is going down from a taller spot then I guess I should be able to manage. I change from street to sidewalk a lot but always use the handicap decline.

Yeah, I’m just worried about getting one hit and it being inoperable at that point and having to get a replacement. I guess I won’t have to be on the sidewalk often anyway since I’ll be going so fast : p

Motors should be easy to replace, but you would need a heat gun to melt the hotglue at the junction where cables go into enclosure. Ill try and post some pics of my motor and mounts so you can see condition. The things arent going to say scratchless for long. Theyre alot less susceptible then boosted. Ive seen them on various vids and one myself as @Photorph says.

Put many miles on the raptor in Los Angeles. So far my biggest concern is the odd extra large lip on driveways or handi ramp…I usually hop off or take them at an angle. Going down is a different story due to the kick tail…riding off curbs isn’t an issue, but still something I usually avoid. I do worry about the occasional sand patch I can’t avoid while riding beach paths, but so far it hasn’t been an issue.

In keeping with the thread topic: went on a epic 9 mile night ride with my buddy who has the mono raptor. It was my first long ride with another eboarder and man was it a blast! Hauling ass through alleys and along the beach paths at night, popping off curbs, hammering the throttle on some open stretches…felt like a teenager sneaking out after curfew…truly epic.

@onloop can be polarizing for various comments and views, but the man built one hell of a board! I will forever be grateful to him for the introduction to eboarding.

1 Like

My thread keeps getting highjacked. So glad your eating those paths with your Raptor. It does make you feel like a teenager again. Also good to go with another skater.

You definitely have to look out for sand drifts as it will stop your board in its tracks and you will come off second best at speed. But LA beach paths would be so cool. Sounds the best.