Rate my pre-build set up

Hi. I’m planning to build my first e-skateboard for commuting. Goals: Around 10 miles range. Top speed 20mph Need to do up-hills like 20% gradient. My weight is 80kg and some back pack that will be like 95kg. Speed and up hill power is priority rather than range. Low budget, simple, without fancy look. I live in Australia so some Chinese online store count in like AliExpress or eBay etc. This is my part list. All in US Dollars Long board 38in standard board $32.00 https://www.kmart.com.au/product/38in.-free-rider-skateboard/1970301?&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIteusgcqy3wIVESUrCh3Ghw3BEAkYASABEgKKPfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds Motor 200kv, 2300w, 6S~12S/22.2v~44.4v, 63mmx54mm $64.00 If I can believe this spec it’s a good motor for this price.

Two Batteries Same like with the motor specifications looks good for this price. 5S 18.5V 5000mAh 30C Max 60C $53.00 each 90mm Wheels $22.00 Trucks 180mm Caliber $24.00 VESC Controller $100.00 https://ebay.us/A18tDn Mini remote Controller With Receiver $32.00 Motor mount and belts, gear ect. $35.00 Battery charger $29.00 Other small parts: $25.00 Battery connector, Bearings and spacers, Riser Pads etc.

I’ll use Loop Key as a switch off/on solution. I won’t use any BMS for now just take batteries out for charging.

Probably I can save like $80 by buying smaller batteries (like two 5000mah 3s batteries) and motor but I’m not sure it’s going to work with my top speed and up hill goal. This motor from above I think regards to spec is good configuration with 10s 5000mah batteries. From this batteries I’ll get roughly 42v = 200kv - 10s. The motor from the link has 200kv. I can save like $50 on VESC by buying ESC but I’m not sure if it’s worth it. It might be better to buy two half power motors rather than one big one but I’ll cost $50 more because of the mounts, shipping, price etc. Dual motor on VESC will cost me like $100 more so not now maybe later.

How will you rate this setup. What do you think? Thanks.

I wouldn’t buy motors and batteries from Ali express. You never know what you really get. You can get a lot off legit stuff on hobbyking. As your motor choice is unsensored you can go with the sk3 motors. They also have good lipos and your vesc you can get there too. Use the code hobbyking10 when check out and you save another 10%.

I never had cheap trucks, but I have seen some broken/snapped once in the last time, so think if it’s worth to go cheap there.

Before you buy the motor mount, make sure it fits the 63xx motor size and that the belts are htd5m and not 3m or something. In the description i couldn’t find this information.

The charger you choose I have in the original version too. They good, but keep in mind, charging one 5s pack will take around 2,5h for a full cycle.

1 Like

spending less will cost you more. honestly get your parts from Hobbyking. where are you in Australia?

6 Likes

@dareno

Oh wait lol. Matt is in AU as well lol

1 Like

Thanks for your replies. I’ve checked the prices on Hobbyking and you are right. It’s better to buy from them than unknown sources. I live in Sydney. I know that there are many e-skaters in here. Maybe I’ll find some spare parts locally. What do you think. What battery and motor from Hobbking will match my goal:

Around 10 miles range.Top speed 20mph. Need to do up-hills like 20% gradient.My weight is 80kg and some back pack that will be like 95kg.

Get yourself some hobbyking sk8 motors. Single go 6374 or dual then go smaller but stick to 63mm.
The hk vesc is a good unit too. Turnigy batteries are decent but if you want the real good stuff lipo wise then stick to graphenes. They last longer and pack more punch. Look at haggy board mounts and trucks for good price point and quality and get that shit built sunshine!!! Good luck

3 Likes

i see how it is :cry:

Do not buy those motor mounts. They are garbage.

No batteries from aliexpress! I have two lithium ion packs sitting in my garage being flammable paper weights. Both packs had a cell die within the first 3 months.

Ok I’ve change the part list a bit. I took some of the parts from KingHobby. They have few parts in stock in Australia. Have a look at this: Long board 38in standard board $32.00 https://www.kmart.com.au/product/38in.-free-rider-skateboard/1970301?&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIteusgcqy3wIVESUrCh3Ghw3BEAkYASABEgKKPfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds Motor SK3 6364 190v $77.00

Two Batteries
5000mah 30c lipo 5S $52.00 each 90mm Wheels $22.00 Trucks 180mm Caliber $24.00 VESC Controller $100.00 Mini remote Controller with Receiver $32.00 Motor mount and belts, gear ect. Motor pulley teeth - 15 Wheel pulley teeth – 36 Belt - 12mm Some caliber mounts https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Electric-Skateboard-Caliber-Compatible/dp/B079561FWV $50.00 Battery charger $29.00 Other small parts: $25.00 Battery connector, Bearings and spacers, Riser Pads etc.

I think this motor is quite good, 190kv will be better for uphills rather than 290kv there are in the same price. I’m not sure about battery. Maybe I can find something better for this price. Future upgrade will be second motor and second vesc so it will make it dual. For now single motor should be enough.

That vesc is not great. Get a FlioSky, it’s Harding better and less expensive. That remote is problematic, just get a mini s it’s cheaper and lots better. That mount hurts my feelings. Get pretty much any other mount, not the turnigy but anything else.

Comment on the mounts: Get the @Boardnamics mounts, very good budget option and you will be buying from a reputable esk8er here on the forum!

Another option would be the ones from dickyho, but I personally found them overcomplicated.

Comment on the remote: As you live in Australia I would get the Nano-X remote from Enertion.

1 Like

This mount looks ok for me.

Pretty sure I met a dude at a drum circle selling mushrooms with that name

2 Likes

Why not just get a FOCBOX there about the same price on sale and much much better Vesc than the hobby king

1 Like

This ^ Not only is it a better product but it holds resale value better. And if you later decide to go 12s you’re good.

I’ve found those mounts on eBay in Australia I’m going budget they may not last long but I’m not gonna skate on this board just ride. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180mm-Longboard-Trucks/123325892412?hash=item1cb6cbc73c:m:mOsLoq-Ai1eVMVLZq9QcbHQ

Can you send me a link for FOCBOX.

Seems the batch has soled out again as there not on there website any more.

Send a message to @lox897, he is in Australia and has a lot of parts for sale. They are very good deals and will save you quite a bit of money without sacrificing quality