Refurbish & repair old esk8s | How to upcycle & restore a Fiik Street Surfer with modern esk8 technology

Some discussion here about it… seems it is possible! VESC for the win!

Yeah, Cool, I have now just discovered this! :face_with_monocle: Never tried it personally…

Have you been able to have some good results? I imagine getting the acceleration & braking to function well sounds like it would require some careful testing trial & error etc. With safety beer gear of course.

3 Likes

Yeah, getting the weight down as much as possible will make these tanks way more agile & fun to rip around on…

Whenever I have ridden these big tanks, they kind of feel like driving a boat :rowing_man:

Once you get the speed & power tuned up a few notches you need that handling to be dialled in…

3 Likes

Its not worth trying to make a boat into a 35mph carver. It does 22 with beginning of speed-wobble, with original motor and ESC. Sheer inertia is a safety feature (sometimes) when it barrels thru what would stop dead a lighter board with smaller wheels.

It carves like a farm plow, barely making right turns in-lane. Slowing to a crawl to kicktail turn, reversing for a better angle, even getting off to hand-turn the ship around is part of the style. Then there is the tremendous height, people look like ants; be ready to duck near airports. Beautiful women jump out of limos to throw themselves at it. “Welcome Aboard”. They never complain it handles like a yacht.

The proper upcycle is original speed performance at modest cost, with improved reliability, serviceability, and usability. It could last a hundred years that way.

4 Likes

Good one…

Well, then you’ll want a vesc based esc and a brushless propeller. Find out the gear ratio of that geardrive and dimensions of the motor to replace it with a brushless one thats suitable, or get a new geardrive made, or even go dual motor and have decent brakes, with similar speed and feel as before.

Maybe the most simple option is a Scooter/Hoverboard hub motor… probs similar weight to the big brushed motor.

Whoaaa, 4WD with Scooter motor hubs?

The problem is bent axles. They need some kind of fork support.

Concept: take surfboards and turn them into street boat ESK8s.

1 Like

But I mean, what did die on that Fiik ? didn’t state that yet.

And hubs. yes,. but hard to mount on original trucks indeed.

What died? Perhaps only the receiver. Suddenly the Remote no longer saw the Board. Battery was fully charged, power button lit, but no connection. No obvious board fault.

Maybe all I need is new remote and receiver, but am worried about compatibility and futzing if the whole system is fried or not worth saving.

1 Like

VESC will give it more power and you could adds a display for speed and range on the board or in the remote.

Hooray, original motor is brushless-

ALL TERRAIN BRUSHLESS MOTOR (INRUNNER) (fiik.com)

So its looking like a TB VESC single plus remote. I would program for efficiency rather than more speed or torque, if that is doable.

Leaving this board to stay itself, more or less, and holding out next for a hot $2k build as my second ride. Planning to be rich any day now, even a bit overdue…

That said, do I have any battery or motor compatibility issue to watch out for? I only know the battery charger is 42V, and the capacity is 13Ahr.

Here’s a conversion project-

2 Likes

check the receiver. I had some dumped in water, a nice clean did some wonders, Otherwise, if your voltages and chargetimes are good, It seems like a solid plan.

1 Like

I haven’t ran one on an esk8 or scooter. No I made some moving targets for shooting. Actually work great for this application. Cause america and guns are a must… But instead of spending a shit load on actual targets, that are questionable at best, I made some that work better. At least until to hey get hit.

Pretty cool making targets. Bet they are one use only tho

No the esc is obviously connected to the motor, which is has a chain drive moving different things simultaneously. It’s pretty cool.

Xenith looks like a great unit, however, my Street Surfer is single-motor, therefore a single TB ESC seems like the best fit, but it would be nice to get final confirmation of choice before ordering, as well as suggested programming settings.

The belt seems to be the weak link of the drive, and starting acceleration as the peak force. I would want to program for gentle start, but strong braking.

Thanks for any input on these points.

2 Likes

Set everything to 100. You’ll be fine

1 Like

Thanks!

Will order “black” as well :sunglasses:.

A tb6 is a solid choice. If you can find an old used focbox it could be cheaper but those are the only two esc’s i would personally buy. Flipsky is a hit or miss and im dont have experience with any of the other single Esc’s besides focbox. I do know torqueboards makes quality products and usually has good customer service (can be a little slow sometimes though)

tb6 it is, then, with tb remote.

Are tb6 default presets good enough?

I may ask TB to preset at 100, if not. Its going to take a learning curve to reconfigure firmware.

1 Like