Hoverboard motors for Esk8?

This looks cool! I had a hoverboard but then one of my siblings took it outside in the wet grass one morning and broke it. Not sure what exactly is wrong with it but it just won’t stop beeping. Anyway I took it all apart and its in pieces right now… probably never going to do anything with it though

I built my kids an electric tricycle using a couple 8" hoverboard wheels. I got a little kid bike at Goodwill for $5 and welded an extension to the frame to make it longer (otherwise the low end torque of the motors tended to make it wheelie if the kid driving it hit the throttle too hard). To mount the wheels I found that the best way was:

Take a piece of plain old hardware store 3/4" weldable steel tube and a 1/2"X1/8" bar and cut the bar to match the length of the ground section of the mounting axle so it sits snugly on top of the shaft in the ground away spot. I then drilled and tapped two holes for M8 bolts in the top of the tube so that, when tightened down, the ends of the bolts press down on the section of the bar that sits in the ground out spot. (Obviously you weld the tube to whatever you want to mount the wheel to before you put the wheel in and clamp down the bolts. If the ride is going to be bump I’d advise using some locktite on the bolts to mage sure they don’t vibrate loose since they’re each only tapped through a 1/16" thick bit of steel, although the curvature of the tube works in your favor here as a flat 1/16" thick sheet with an M8 tapped hole would not be rigid enough to hold it steady).

So I found that this contraption will haul me up a rather steep hill (10% grade or so) as a 150lb adult plus the 40lbs of steel that is the trike (I built the frame extension out of 1/8" thick L beams because I had 'em in my scrap pile and the hardware store was closed when I was slapping this together).

Here is Jehu Garcias version of a skateboard with Hoverboard wheels

Reviving old thread, sue me.

I got a pair of “inoperable” hoverboards from ebay, cause the motors probably worked, I’ve tested them all and they do. I ended up with a 24v and 36v version, they both have 16mm axles, but the 24v version is shorter by 25mm. Jehu’s solution to adapt the wheels to paris trucks was cleaver, but wasteful and sketch cause they clearly didn’t fit properly. Current effort is on adapting the wheel axles to calibre hangers to reduce cost. In an ideal world, I’d mill a hanger with axle slots similar to what exists for current in hub motors on the market. The plan at the moment which I can’t really get on until March is to use a 3/4"x1/16" pipe as the initial mount to keep the wheels aligned, then u-bolt the clamp that came with the hoverboard to the bottom of the hangar and see how that goes, will also try making a 3D printed “cartilage” piece to try and better mate the hangers, pipe and u-bolts. I’ll update as I make progress.

1 Like

Short update, first test fit of my adapter, I’m pretty happy with it, everything’s very tight, though I’m still worried I’m pushing the limits of 3D printed parts. I’ll need to tweak some tolerances, then make the other side, fab the alignment pipe/axle then I can give it a test ride. IMG_0076 IMG_0077

2 Likes

Why so complicated? I used lightning rod holder and metal tube (pushed on truck thread) wheel_hoverbaord

1 Like

That’s a smart idea, though the wear pattern looks like you got some camber angle. I’m trying to eliminate any flexing the wheel axle might have from the adapter. Your wheel probably also toes in when accelerating and toes out when braking. I’m also trying to keep the overall width down. Is the tube you mentioned acting as a spacer for the ends of the lightning bolt mount?

Okay I got it put together, more complicated than I wanted but I wanted as much inlaid metal as possible. There are M3 screws bolting the shells together, hose clamps keeping the plastic adapters compressed, and u-bolts holding the wheels to the alignment pipe. gonna road test it later, it weighs a shit ton.

2 Likes

So far so good, will stand up to brick driveway and paved road and me jumping up and down on it, when it dries more outside I’ll put in through more abuse to test the structure, powering them will come later.

update: Aight, it’s holding, next is to wire it in place of the current drive train, might make a whole new board for it, probably.UVIU9295

2 Likes

That pattern is on metal tube and its from pliers (it scratched when i pushed it on truck). Metal carved tube is some kind of spacer for better wheel and truck fixation. It also glued to truck with special glue for bolts.

image image

My project is almost finished and after some ride (~10km) i can tell that it looks more stable than jehugarcia solution. I’ll put some video and pictures in a week or a two to see final result… :slight_smile:

project almost done :slight_smile: 20190513_224311 20190513_224400 20190513_224537 20190513_224612

1 Like

What type of lightening rod holder did you use? I’m trying to use a similar system for attaching my motor shafts.

Weve purchased 6-7 of the hub motors for really a competitive price and longhairedboy is right, their max rpm value is low. We are building a 6 wheel armadillo board not to have a speed ride but for some performance analysis on our electronics, remote and battery system. We manufactured spring type trucks for the hub motors of course, with angular orientation.

I ended up buying a few sets of these hoverboard conversion mountain board trucks. One supplier sent me wedge raisers, the other did not. The raisers are necessary for normal boards as the kingpins are flat and not at an angle like standard trucks.

look at what wowgo is using for their AT boards

Continuing the discussion from Hoverboard motors for Esk8?:

I has an old hoverboard,this one all terrain hoverboard,it’s motors are 8.5 inch,will be too bigger to install on the board?Maybe I’d better repair it,I like it so much.It was stable and powerful,even in the sand.

Even birds know what a hoverboard is. Who knows, perhaps some of them have even attempted it. From the youngest people to the more seasoned ones who gave this unique present to their grandkids, essentially, everybody has known about the hoverboard. It is a self-adjusting gadget whose movement relies upon moving the weight and equilibrium of the hoverboard client. A hoverboard is comprised of two wheels associated with the shaft. The size of the wheels decides speed. Additionally, the wheels are redone as indicated by scenes. Visit this hoverboard website for more information about it.

1 Like

watch back to the future. A hoverboard does not have wheels. :slight_smile:

also you can time travel a year back to when this post was active. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

put this on your website.

2 Likes

Some homeslice in Denver built a board with hoverboard hubs. It went 16mph at a 90° angle lol.

1 Like