Remoteless build

i don’t quite understand. which part of the design you are referring to?

yes, the design i’m considering is for low powered boards ONLY, foot breaking becomes difficult at high speeds. I can’t imagine a remoteless build being remotely safe or feasible for high powered boards.

“safe” is a relative term after all. I’m assuming basic skating skills for the user, and the goal is to build something not 100% safe but at least no more dangerous then unpowered boards. For example its possible to generate unsafe speeds downhill when unpowered etc. People need to use good judgement and skate within their limits.

1 Like

High powered doesn’t mean high speed, I’m not sure if I could generate any noticable spike while foot dragging on my rather popular setup (10s dual 190kV 2,5kW belt drive 16/36). It might as well get unnoticed or your board might easily generate higher spikes by itself on small elevation. You’d also need to constantly calculate base point for this spike to even detect it as it needs to work for any speed in a range. I’d go with another button on side of the board that you would press while not having your foot on a foot pad that would engage braking. Easier and more reliable. If you want to go the other way I found here something that you might find interesting:

2 Likes

This is great, thanks for the link!

Good point about power vs speed. Power is relative to body weight, and so is the amount of breaking friction a given rider can generate with the road. So it may be necessary to modulate power output to match rider in order to not overpower the foot drag effect on the rpm, making it undetectable. As far as road imperfections causing a spike, I think false positives aren’t too big of a deal as long as they aren’t frequent. All they triggers is free coasting of the motor. An extra kick is all you’d need to get going under power again.

Its possible this won’t work, and require a break pad, but the only way to know is to try building it.

Thank you guys for ideas! Just implemented a simple version of remoteless control in the Firefly Nano receiver. Since VESC’s built-in cruise control is used, the receiver will watch for a spike in motor current to return to coasting. I guess it’s easier to catch because cruise control will try to keep the same rpm.

After some testing, I’ve found that a safer way to produce that spike in current is to push/slide the board backward while standing on it with both feet. In other words, to send your upper body forward and legs backward.

The activation is a bit different though, after pushing with a set speed (e.g > 12 km/h for 3 seconds) the cruise control will be activated when the speed drops below the same threshold (rider has stopped pushing).

So overall it’s not the true “endless ride” mode, it’s more for emergencies (remote is broken or out of juice), but the code is very simple:

1 Like