(RESOLVED) VESC Help On NYE - Failed Motor Detection

ok, then try a motor detection and right after go on the terminal and write faults

1 Like

Ahh, there we go. Thanks Johnny! What perspective can you give me based on the faults?

Clicked Motor Config > Red Light Blinks > Bad Detection > Clicked Terminal Tab > then the following faults appear:

The following faults were registered since start:

Fault : FAULT_CODE_DRV8302 Current : 0.1 Current filtered : 0.3 Voltage : 38.09 Duty : 0.02 RPM : 5.5 Tacho : 15 Cycles running : 4 TIM duty : 1019 TIM val samp : 529 TIM current samp : 22245 TIM top : 43433 Comm step : 2 Temperature : 29.23

Fault : FAULT_CODE_DRV8302 Current : 0.0 Current filtered : 0.3 Voltage : 38.08 Duty : 0.02 RPM : 2.0 Tacho : 16 Cycles running : 3 TIM duty : 991 TIM val samp : 523 TIM current samp : 22415 TIM top : 43784 Comm step : 3 Temperature : 29.28

Fault : FAULT_CODE_DRV8302 Current : 0.4 Current filtered : -1.0 Voltage : 38.09 Duty : 0.02 RPM : 1.9 Tacho : 17 Cycles running : 4 TIM duty : 991 TIM val samp : 523 TIM current samp : 22415 TIM top : 43784 Comm step : 4 Temperature : 29.36

Oh no! Definitely don’t want to start the new year with a DRV failure. You will need to get it replaced

1 Like

Damn, The DRV is located on the VESC correct? I’d rather have the issue with the VESC then the motor. Reason being is logistically Enertion is further then Tourqboards. Also, I have a new VESC on the way from Miami Electric Boards. ugh.

How do DRV’s normally fail? And, can they come like that from the manufacturer? Thanks so much for your help @Alextech and @JohnnyMeduse ! Do you think that’s the only issue at this time or are their any other tests you can suggest?

Sorry to bring you the bad new… but there is no other test that we can do… the problem is a fry drv from the vesc. I can only suggest you to contact @torqueboards to see what option he can offer you.

Or you can use some repair services offer on this forum.

Yes the DRV will the suspect. Now DRV fail for many reason. If the phase wires touch, DRV failure, incorrect firmware, DRV failure, Bad Foc settings. You guessed it DRV failure.

The Vesc X is supposed to be much less susceptible to DRV failures just make sure your phase wires are 100% insulated and your settings are right and you should be okay. Most DRV honestly are from user errors.

1 Like

Gotcha! Honestly this is better news from where I was yesterday! It kills me to keep an issue unsolved. At least I know what it is and I can move forward. What are some reasons a DRV would be fried? Thanks again for your help brotha!

Wow! That’s nuts :confounded: thanks for the insight and help! I was honesty hoping for smooth sailing as soon as I got all my parts. But then again, if that’s what I really wanted I would have bought a complete set up right?! I’ll reach out to tourqeboards and see what my options are.

Also, from I can see in your picture you probably have one mosfet that is burn and act as a short (probably the root cause of your problem)

1 Like

cough cough @JohnnyMeduse

2 Likes

@lox897 @JohnnyMeduse Hahaha! Yes, I’d much rather get it fixed the brick it. I’ll have to find out first if there’s any warranty on it cause it’s seriously been less than a week. Appreciate the suggestion. Johnny would my repair for the mosfet and DRV be in your wheelhouse?

No problem… after all I’m a “Vescpert” :wink:

1 Like

Doing first build here had a question in general, not pertaining to this problem you had. Couldnt you use an anti spark from the vesc and not need a anti spark key? just use an anti spark xt90 female connected to male xt90/connector?

1 Like

depending on your wiring - yes. If you have a Series adapter, or Parallel adapter - this is a good spot to use an XT90 anti-spark. When you have multiple batteries - that’s where it can get expensive if you swap each. Plus a loop key that’s accessible from the outside acts as a power switch when not riding vs unplugging your batteries fully.

It’s definitely doable and preference. I have some of both.