Riding tipps, introduction to high speed skating

Ha ha ha! yes, I definitely have gone through my share of shoes! I started using my board’s brake more often because my messed up back forced me to upgrade from my $40 Vans to $110 Frye’s. Also, being a life-long skater, I’m used to going through shoes like water.

Gear Aid Freesole. It’s a little messy, but will make your shoes go a lot farther. World’s better than shoe-goo. You can also throw some rice on the surface when it’s partially dry to create tread.

When you’re pushing, you learn a lot about control and balance on one foot. It’s probably one of the harder things to learn. With e-boards, you never have to put your foot on the ground.

1 Like

Exactly this ^

alright weather is good, new gopro is here, going for a ride tomoroow and record it. Would you like and overlay with speed etc. Guess I could manage that with strava data and mash it together with virb software, hevn’t done it before but I can mayby figure it out.

2 Likes

Check out @Ackmaniac firmware, it will do the overlay via an Android app, if you can use a phone instead of the GoPro.

You mean the phone to record? dont know how I feel about holding a phone steady while going 50 :wink:

Just finished the recording. Strava bugged out on me, and apparently I bent the gopro mount and 30% of the view is my side of the helmet. I will upload it as a raw run I guess. I have to review the footage mayby I can salvage anything from it.

I will redo a run again on the weekend. Sadly nit with a amazing view like this one. Had to include the mountains as a swiss :wink:

1 Like

@michichopf Do u usually stop with a slide or u use footbrake / glove pads to do the braking?

Im really curious… as im starting to face some serious hills now :smiley:

Also - how much time did it take for you to learn to properly slide and be able to brake decently in this way?

Well, i always glue on brake-soles to prolong the life of my shoes

good points. If I have to stop or loose speed very suddenly I will mostly slide or speed check. When I can forsee the neded loss of speed I do a mixture of air breaking and foot braking. Hardly touch the remote over 50.

How much time it toock to learn? Well you are never done, there ar still speeds, corners and ways you are uncomfortable with so I would say something around 100-200 hours of practice for the basics.

Allright there we go. The first Video. I will only put this here for fun. I realised so many mistakes in order to do things as spontanious like this. So loock at it as a fun video to watch, because It won’t be very usefull as anything else. Also I will chose a lot faster rides for the future.

6 Likes

Where are you from? It looks familiar.

You should do at least one video from the viewpoint of someone following behind you, so you can really demonstrate what you are talking about with stances, and so you can show what you think right and wrong looks like on an esk8. You could also script out what you want to say and show what you want concisely, and edit out any info you didn’t mean to include in the final cut of the video.

Nide video, keep up the good work!

Hey, it is in Canton Bern, switzerland, are of Münsingen/Tägertschi to be exact. And yeah you are right, I need a follow man. Hard to find an e-k8ter that also donwhills. But I may got one for slower speeds :slight_smile:

and definetly need to script out what I awant to talk about. Good tipps. You from switzerland ? If so you need to join our whatsapp group + group rides :slight_smile:

@michichopf I have one of these for my GoPro …cuts wind to almost zero and all you hear is the ambient noise. We should be able to hear you very clear.

Keep up the good work brotha :facepunch:t2:

https://www.removu.com/product/wind-jacket/

1 Like

good to know. thats exactly what I ordered, should be here in 5 days. Very good to hear actually. Will delay my recordings till then .

1 Like

I am in Stuttgart, Germany. So, I am not that far away at least!

edit, jk I just looked on the map :slight_smile: we are about 5.5 hours away by car,

:frowning: sad. but you ggot an e-board convention in germany, at least I read somewhere. Mayby we will meet there one day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh well. My raptor died on me just now. After 4037km. Got to see if and how I can fix it Or when I get my carvon build running. :frowning:

@michichopf what exactly happened?

Well, normal ride, everything fine. Went home. ate lunch. Turned board back on and only one motor spins very slowly and with a lot of noise. was frustrated and left it in the corner, an hour later tunred it back on. Both motors work normally for 5 seconds then back to only one. Sadly i cannot do anything here since I have no tools. Need to head back home to see whats up, or at least provide poeple with requested information in order to get help :frowning:

Hey @michichopf,

Did you manage to fix your raptor?

I’m really looking forward to see more posts from you in the future.