Running 50% max duty cycle for 24V rated motor?

Got a fairly cheap little underwater BLDC rated at 24Vmax 1080W and want to run it off one of my spare flipsky VESCs hooked up to 10s2p battery.

If my battery is at 40V and I set the max duty cycle to 50% is that effectively limiting me to a safe region of operation < 24V?

My batteries would struggle to put out over 1080W at the full 40V so I’m not super worried about going over the power dissipation limit, moreso just wondering about the actual “24V max” voltage limit in the spec.

It’s this motor I’m just playing with on a kayak/SUP btw HAWK HOBBY Underwater Thruster MAX 24V 1080W Brushless Motor with CW 3-Blade Nylon Propeller for Electric Surfboard Amazon.com

I’ve set very conservative duty cycle and current limits right now and it’s “working” so far but wondered if anyone had any words of advice while I’m working on all the waterproofing.

1 Like

Brushless motors dont have a maximum voltage. Take that back for a second, they do but its upwards of around 150 volts. Those voltage ratings that come with brushless motors are more to do with their intended purpose.

You are correct about the power disspiation limit which will be in watts. So find the motors maximum peak and maximum sustained amp rating, multiply that number by 24 and thats your maximum wattage.

Maximum voltage has to do with the insulating properties of the laquer coating on the motor winds. Too much voltage and you can get sparks inbetween windings which quickly turns into BBQed motor and/or dead esc and possibly a small electrical fire. :rofl:

While you’re running this motor, pause and see how hot its getting. If its getting so hot that you cant keep your finger on it, you’re approaching its maximum current saturation.

1 Like

Also check out the 2nd post in this thread. Forgot to mention that over volting a motor can result in too much RPM for the motor to handle.