Scarlet Cruiser | Long Haired Boy Scarlet deck | Dual R-SPEC | Space Cell | VESC

@longhairedboy I just noticed that you painted the truck bolt nuts red. Baller!

lol yeah i’m using red hardware. That way i can get 20% more performance out of my bolts over regular bolts.

i didn’t paint them though, i got them from amazon.

This whole box thing has me ready for 10 more beers but i drank all my beer last night while posting utter nonsense in the lounge. Like I said I was originally going to vac form this and as soon as I posted the blue-taped form talking about how i was going to glass it instead some dude on instagram was like “hey you should have vac formed that it would have taken five minutes once your set up” and i’m like “yeah i know, i hate myself enough already, thanks.” but he was right, @treenutter is right, and i was right to begin with. And i already know what @psychotiller is thinking too. lol

vac molding is the only way to go with these boxes and I wasted my only free day this weekend trying to take a shortcut on this one board at the last minute. There’s no way in hell i’m going to be able to glass boxes for boards on a regular basis. I just won’t have the time. I have to stop all this follishness and just set up to do it right. So now i have to get another 10 beers form the store.

i’m going to box this form in for vaccing and drill some micro holes in all the right places. Then set up a conical vertical cooker using a toaster oven and some plywood and foil. Basically i’ll build a station just for boxes in one corner of my garage. If i can find a corner.

so this could take a while with all the other shit i’m juggling

4 Likes

Get out of my head! Haha

1 Like

aright. this weekend saw a lot happen. after all that complainng about glassing boxes, i glassed another box. But wait… its sick.

Using another deck as the form worked really well once I minimized all of the hard angles on the form. That’s what was giving me the bunches and bullshit. Once I got two nice slopes on either end and rounded all the corners, the fabric behaved itself.

then i moved on to those Enertion mounts. I don’t like blue. So i stripped it off with some Greased Lightning. Did you guys know that trick?

just let that anodized aluminum sit around in it for a while, occasionally stirring things around. Take them out, rinse them off, and…

gave everything a nice satin top coat.

The indigo on those motors loooks nice as an accent.

So that was my saturday.

4 Likes

@BrooklynRider Your new board is getting finished up. That is if you’re still interested.

I’m for sure doing that trick with the anodizing to my old enertion mount- it’s gotten so scratched up that it’s only like half blue anyways…lol

Those motors are still blue! Haha

that’s one god damn good looking box!

see don’t give up on the fibre glass just yet. its looking great.

long haired boy is actually an undercover eboard cop. when the time comes for a high speed chase he needs the red and blue so cars, buses and small children can identify him coming before they get plowed. :wink:

2 Likes

@longhairedboy i might have to add one of these to my collection, looking smart :ok_hand:

1 Like

I know! I Don’t quite have the heart to tear down the motors

@longhairedboy nice design, what weight glass are you using there and how many layers? I’ve lot of extra 2oz fiberglass that I use for reinforcing plywood kitchen floors and 2 yards of carbon I was thinking of making a custom box with f-glass inside for strength & single carbon fiber outer layer for looks for my planned E-MTB.

1 Like

It’s three layers of fabric and one layer of just resin on top. I’m not sure of the weight honestly. This is all 3M stuff. I was originally going to use this up and move onto West Systems because there’s something very zen about glassing but it makes more sense in my situation to set up a vacuum forming station and switch to making ABS enclosures, so that’s my plan moving forward. I may glass one or two more boxes between now and then depending on how things fall but this is definitely one of the last FG boxes I make.

I’ve been approached on Instagram about some CF options. After the holidays I’m going to explore the possibility of having my decks laminated in CF including an enclosure with a lid instead of just making boxes. It will be interesting to see what comes of it because my decks are great push / downhill boards too, so i’m definitely keeping some around for that.

Yesterday my apprentice (my 14yo son) and I modded the cables on the VESCs and started dealing with component placement inside the box.

We stripped down the space cell to break out the meter, button, and port, then wrapped it all back up. Planning on using silicone to suspend the components and help mitigate vibration related issues.

2 Likes

After spending a fair amount of time riding around on this deck as a downhill/push board I’ve decided to alter the shape a little to reduce the amount of flex even more. Unfortunately I’m going to have to lose the sexy waistline for this build. Flavor will be retained however in the tail shape and also I have plans for the front shape as well that will allow this deck to stay edgy.

The waistline provided a clear flex point right in the center of the box that didn’t show up until I had someone heavier block test and ride it around for a while. In a split box configuration (separate battery and esc boxes) this would be ideal as you could have the flex you want while knowing exactly where the flex is pivoting, so to speak. The space cell doesn’t really allow for a split box design of that nature, so this specific build will be a little different in shape.

The good news is I can do this kind of thing pretty much whenever I want because I have my own press and still have three or four uncut blanks laying around.

All of that being said I’m considering creating boxes for this deck for a split box configuration and using the new deck shape with single box configurations.

Some people like flex, some don’t or can’t have it for various reasons. I say both are valid choices and I want to offer both.

@cmatson I’d recommend your deck shape for a lipo build due to the space constraints of the non flex regions. It would be possible to completely repack the space cell into a taller,shorter config, of course, but I don’t think most people want to do that.

1 Like

Couldn’t you just add layers of wood to stiffen the deck up?

I pressed all of my veneer already for this round, but I’m thinking of moving to a 9 layer process when I get my next batch of veneer. An extra core and cross would stiffen it up significantly. But in the meantime I have uncut blanks I can try a slightly different shape on which would allow me to finish up this build, and I also have this deck and two others I can use in a split box config.

So I have options I suppose. Being such a small op really allows for flexibility and experimentation.

1 Like

i needed 8 layer plus a layer of fiberglass on the top and bottom before it was stiff enough. still has slight flex. it increased the weight a lot compared to my first build so i shortened the deck and wheel base but it is still a bit heavy. that is for me at 160lbs i think 9 ply for people heavier then me would be good. or 7 or 8 with carbon fiber or those plastic sheets roarockit sells.

I haven’t really figured out what I am going to do with my second space cell… still need a low KV motor and other parts before I can do anything with it.

On the other hand, I have all the parts to make a solid 6s build, so I guess that’s what I’ll do.

haha I’m trying to save up for an Xcarve, so I’m keeping new eboard spending to a minimum :wink:

In my experience 10 or 11 ply is the sweet spot for me but I weigh around 190.

@cmatson why did you settle on an x-carve? Have you looked at some of the open builds? We decided on a large format OX for our first machine but we also have plans for a steel framed machine once we get a little more experience on the OX.