Show 'n' Tell - Grip Tape Edition!

Hi everyone,

Let’s have a little show and tell! I know some of you out there have some awesome grip tape designs and I’m looking for inspiration.

So come at me bro! Show me ya grip tape!!

2 Likes

Go cheek out @longhairedboy Instagram. He does glass frit and resin. Sooo beautiful.

1 Like

some from this year…

12 Likes

153390460337750332324220180415_133709

14 Likes

Robotics/Macross fans?

11 Likes

That Shield One though :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

16 Likes

Why do you use polyurethane with the glass frit instead of epoxy?

1 Like

If i underatand correctly epoxy it self is not grippy so grip is provided by only the frit but with ployurathane you have that extra level of grip. Of course this is just my assumption

3 Likes

I was going to say for flexibility too. Epoxies are really hard. I’ve never used them on anything Exterior or that will flex.

1 Like

@longhairedboy I love the S.H.I.E.L.D one most. Looks really clean! I’m thinking of a matte black spray then a black grip cut into some funky shapes like the Evolve boards. Not sure how I would get the positioning right though? :thinking:

@Dmaxx I love that first one! The same sort of style I’m going for I think. How did you get the positioning of the shapes right? Excuse me if that’s a stupid question!! :laughing:

2 Likes

I used a tape line for the first row and dud the rest one piece at a time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Magic. I need to give it a shot!

1 Like

A number of reasons:

• it doesn’t crackle or break off, epoxy eventually cracks/shatters and peels without a substrate in thin applications in my experience
  • epoxy is slicker, as mentioned above. poly is indeed grippier, or so i have found.
  • the polyurethane i use can be purchased at lowe’s or home depot or any hardware store at all, but quality glass clear epoxy is expensive and not as accessible
  • water based means easy cleanup, lack of toxic fumes, more years to live
  • the above reasons add up to the owner of the board having a much easier time with redoing thier grip if they choose to do so the wau i do it.
  • sandimg off polyurethane to regrip with traditional grip is less toxic and dangerous than sanding down epoxy if they choose to go that route when it wears off.
  • epoxy is more expensive and requires disposables like brushes and cups that you have to throw away after using.
8 Likes

Sold! Thank you for the explanation!

@mmaner going to get some poly, woot woot.

3 Likes

sounds like a good plan to me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Google Photos

4 Likes

IMG_20180605_133001929

IMG_20180624_105902574

13 Likes

15 Likes

Not sure why mine didn’t load in all the way, just imagine seeing the whole deck tho😁