Split PPM Confusion

Even if the Vesc are running independent?

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but yes, even when vescs are running independently.

Batt max is roughly how much each vesc is allowed to pull from the battery, right, and that shouldn’t exceed half of what the battery can safely deliver if you have two vescs pulling amps from your batts.

Batt min is how much you allow vesc to pump back into the batt, and cell specs stay the same even if you’d have 10000000 independent vescs :blush:, so you don’t want to charge cells with heavier current just because you happen to run dual motors.

See, confusing. If I set my battery max to 25a wouldn’t it be the same as setting my Motor to 25a?

Short answer is no. If battery max and motor max were the same thing, we wouldn’t have two separate settings :smirk: A bit confusing yes.

3 Likes

So if I set my Battery Max to 25a i shouldn’t see any performance difference?

30q are know to be 20a cells even though they are 15 by the manufacturer

4p * 20a = 80a / 2esc = 40a/esc bat max

Regen no more then 2c 3Ah * 4p = 12Ah * 2capacity = 24a/2esc = -12a bat min per esc

2 Likes

You could probably set your batt max to 30 if your bms allows a 60a discharge, and you won’t kill your batteries. So with batteries that are still working, I’d say that’s a performance boost :grin:

I don’t have a discharge BMS, only a 80a charge only

Regarding motor amps vs battery amps

1 Like

Then either go the conservative route with 30a batt max per vesc, or go crazy with the - up to- 40a /vesc… I don’t think one should exceed that though.

to think I have been running 50a for weeks. Luckily short rides

80a bms for charging only is unnecessary bulk. You could as well use something a lot smaller.

The gist I got from PM

It’s a 6355. Which are typically rated for 2000w.

On a dual setup of 4p 30q with a max batt amp of 40/esc or less to maintain the constant current capability of the cells

2000w \ 36v = 55 amps…

Your battery can only provide 40 amps

36v * 40a = 1440w

If you set a motor max of 60. You can achieve 60 motor amps up until 24v or 66% duty cycle. At which point every % of duty cycle increase will cause a motor amper output decrease to stay within the 40a(1440w) battery max limitation.

Basically your battery can’t overpower the motor…

1 Like

It’s the white wire coming out of your “receiver”, sure there are also resistors inside that one, but 2 different storys actually

@GJHS here is some related information from a different discussion:

1 Like

Whoops, that was a hell of a slip. Stupid fingers.

That reminds me…I once accidentally text a real estate agent I shampooed my balls instead of the carpet…

It was really awkward after that as I didn’t catch it for a day or two when I wondered why he never responded. @faithfulpuppy

2 Likes

he was obviously giving you time to clean the carpet before he came to look at the house :joy:

1 Like

what is PPM?

PPM is pulse position modulation, but VESC actually uses PWM and has it mislabeled as PPM. PWM is is pulse width modulation.