Spot Welder - Weld is not strong enough

So literally tried everything mentioned here. Still doesnt weld. Now I dont even see the weld spots, even tho it really gets hot…

hot and no weld means you need a way shorter pulse with way more current.

1 Like

It only has 1 1/2 windings an i am measuring 1.5VAC. I dont think the current is the problem

Well you described the symptoms that I had to deal with when trying to weld 0.3mm nickel, long pulse low current.

And we had a really beefy transformer based welder, the aliexpress sunko stuff looks tiny compared to what we had, still no dice. We had to use supercapacitors. The nickel would glow and smoke and all, but the weld would still suck.

Oh forgot to meantion, I used times from 50ms to 450ms.

450ms is insane, of course the cell will get hot.

Perhaps you cant get enough current since your output voltage is too low, since …ohms law lol. You said you tried everything, yet didnt mention if you tried to do one more winding on the secondary.

You could try to clean the surfaces well before welding reduce that resistance and junk

theres literally no space anymore xD I will try to search an smaller gauge wire

6awg wire should be good, thats what @JonathanLau1983 is using

And what I am going to use

That gives you about 3 coils if you buy 1 meter of it.

This is definitely low current, had the same problem with mine when the battery I was using was crap, you need a lot of current for the shortest amount of time, I use double pulse, the first 1.5ms and second 9ms, you want to tear the nickel when trying to rip it for a strong connection

You could add a second transformer in parallel

At longer times, you instantaneous power is too low and the heat has time to spread out instead of fusing the nickel and cell together

1 Like

oh my, i am using a 35mm² cable. Guess that is too overkill. Will try to find a thinner cable

1 Like

found a metre of 16mm² cable. That would be good too?

Yeah I think that’s the same thing

That’s exactly what I used

IMG_20180912_133246

3 coils with 6awg

1 Like

Looks good. My Welder still doesnt weld tho. Maybe I should hook up the Copper nail directly to the cable?

What with 6awg/16mm2 yeah maybe try direct

yea with 16mm².

20180916_133519

Looks fine I guess

Where’s the fish paper?

2 Likes

Yep fishpaper is needed :slight_smile:

So it works now?