Spot Welder - Weld is not strong enough

When i made a spot welder, i saw that the connections really matter. Heat goes to the weakest spot on the link. Bad crimp or loose screw etc…

No fishpaper, just a ton of Isolation tape. Should work too I guess

Should be adding tape under your nickel strip too then, less useful around the outside like the pic.

just use it, its dirt cheap electrical tape is too thin

btw the negative terminal is right under this thin plastic Screenshot_6

Yea i did with the other packs. This Was just a test pack

Sorry for reviving old topic but I have exactly the same problem. I decided to ask for your help before I quit spot welding. I made from two to three turns but is looks like that does’n change anything. When I set it to 0,2 sek it makes some welds but most of the time I can rip it by hand. Super small pcs of strip stays on the cell but it’s not strong enough. I want to be able to spot weld because I need to make more than just one battery. Any help is greatly appreciated.IMG_20190318_141634 IMG_20190318_141640

How many Watts does your Transformer have?

I believe it’s 700W. What is notice now that my wires with electrodes are quite long. Maybe that’s the of my problem?

Thats not really much, whats your output voltage, I was reading about these DIY spot welder and supposedly if the output voltage is too low the welds will be crap

1 Like

I didn’t really have success with holding it by hand so I built that:

But I am using a 1200Watt MOT. But my weld are a bit too OP, the Nickel kinda gets holes lol

I can get a 1200W one but would like to know how other welders works using what I have. I’m kind of tired of failures in this area. @Zentaria can you show how it welds?

What do you mean? I have an Arduino, where I can set the Timer and a foot pedal as a Switch.

I have also a foot pedal and I can set the time and I can get a 1200W MOT if that’s the only way. My question was how other welders with transformers like mine works and mine doesn’t?

Maybe it really has too much resistance when the wires are too long. I would measure the Current and Voltage

1 Like

Yeah, make the electrode wires are short as you can. Also, the tips need to be filed quite often as they become oxidised I think it is and go dark. File them.so you get to the bright copper.

1 Like

Ok. Making wires shorter seems to help a lot. Still time to make good welds is not super short but it’s not bad. Lesson is that 700W transformer is bearly enough so everyone whos planning to build one should look for something more powerfull.IMG_20190320_111820 IMG_20190320_111806IMG_20190320_113255