Sputtering Motor

Ok. Did you make the detection with or without belt attached?

With the belt attached. I reckon it should not be though

1 Like

I never understood that hybrid mode. Always thought that even in sensored mode the sensors will not give any values after a rpm of 6000

I made mine with and without. Both where working, but it’s recommended to do it without load. Maybe your belts overtide? Just guess what else it could be

tbh I used bldc tool for my first set up and that was the advice I got at the time. I assumed that the sensored in bldc was sensored all the time unless configured with hybrid otherwise why have it? I now use vesc tool which is either sensored or not and is just so much easier to configure that I don’t use the other tool at all anymore. Oh and I don’t use sensors either anymore so… @Jcullinan09 try vesc tool because once you use it you won’t look back. It has wizards to guide you through the whole process.

watch this video man it helps

definitely without the belts and always make sure your belts are loose, not so they skip but as loose as you can get them without.

I don’t know what box I checked, but now I can’t even get a motor detection without belts on. Im just left sputtering with no load. But thanks for the heads up on Vesc tool. Im going to look in to it.

Honestly I think the wizard of the vesc tool is not the best. There some things which just get skipped. Maybe I just didn’t understood but the ppm wizard for example don’t give you to configure ppm+uart. After the wizard you need to add this under the settings. The same with the max erpm limit at the motor wizard. It’s nowhere mentioned while setup. Besides it’s for sure more comfortable tool.

Can you move your motor by hand? You hear something scratching inside? Maybe magnet became lose?

Yeah, I can move the motor by hand just fine, and nothing sounds unusual. I think its just a setting from BLDC tool.

If you want to use the vesc tool you also need to update your firmware. Just as additional info.

So the 2.18 firmware, won’t work for Mac OS? If you have the file of the firmware I might need could you private message it to me, or post it here?

If you don’t that’s fine, and ill just have to do some digging on my own.

So you need the Mac version of the vesc tool? Unfortunately I don’t have the original version vor Mac, but you can find the ackmaniac version here

It’s the same interface just with a bit more explanations and the firmware is adjusted more for Esk8.

The firmware laying in the software folder. So after you opened the vesc tool just go into the firmware section, select the right fw for your hw (focboxes should be 410,411,412) and upload it. I would also disconnect the CAN while uploading. Shouldn’t be an issue but I would have a mixed feelings while flashing new fw.

1 Like

AWESOME Thanks!

2 Likes

also make sure to not power only one focbox at a time when connected with can. It will kill the can chip and even drv.

Either power both at same time or disconnect can wire will doing powering one at a time

1 Like

Hey guys, I’ve been trying to understand the VESC tool, and when doing a motor detection, results are getting better, but not nearly where they should be. I’ve got a screen recording that shows just whats going wrong with the motor detection, you can hear the sound in the background of the motor stuttering in the second half of the video.