Stuttering wheel, dual vesc?

Weird issue here if anyone can help with a diagnostic please? When I first accelerate one wheel stutters, then kick in. The other wheel just works as expected. It’s quite noticeable when riding as it kicks the truck unevenly from standing start. Any advice appreciated thanks. I’ve not had this issue before on this build and it feels less powerful than before. I’ve done a fresh setup with vesc motor wizard and tried different settings with no difference. This leads me to suspect a hardware issue? Video link below. Setup: Flip sky 4.2 Dual Flip sky vx2 L-faster 6374 Hall sensors.

1 Like

Flipsky esc? Yeah. That’s unfortunately your culprit. Changing the esc should fix this issue. However, does it affect riding in any way? If it doesn’t, I’m guessing its an start up issue due to the hall sensors. Im unsure otherwise since this only happened to me due to my hall sensors no longer working.

1 Like

Thanks, are you saying it’s ESC issue or motor hall sensor issue?

1 Like

Cogging (that motor stuttering on startup) happens with sensorless ESCs too. Since its only one motor cogging you can easily verify if its the motor or ESC by swapping the left and right motor leads and sensor wires. If the cogging still presents on the same side then its the esc, if not its an issue with either the motor phase wires or hall sensors.

1 Like

As @kavic5150 said above.

1 Like

Don’t forget to mention that he has to redo the detection for both the sensor and motor if he swaps them.

2 Likes

Right thanks, I’ll have a look at this when I get chance. So to be clear, 1, do I need to run motor wizard when I swap the motors or just run sensor detection?

2, where actually is sensor detection in the vesc tool app v3.01 (can’t find it :confounded:)

3, does sensor detection get done during motor wizard setup or does it need doing separately after wizard?

Thanks for your help fellas! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Oh, good point. Wouldnt want anyone scooting off backwards unexpectedly. That would not bode well.

You have to do the FOC set up once again after swapping the motor wire and hall sensor to the opposite side and seeing if this also occurs on the same side. If not, its the motors if this also occurs on the opposite side after the swap. If so, its the esc.

But if that fixes the issues, no need to do anything else.

Edits: grammar.

1 Like

always, yes. If you change sensors, if you change motors, the esc or just a single phase wire to a different position you need to redo the detection.

It’s an all in one setup. Do the motor detection and it does sensors as well.

1 Like

Thanks for your help guys, all sorted now. Swaped the motors and rerun the wizard. Same problem but on the other wheel. Ohoh, fault with the ESC I thought. Swapped it back to how it was originally and rerun wizard again and heyho, everything’s ok again! Weird but I’ll take it ! :metal::sunglasses:

2 Likes

As long as its good, you should be fine. But if you need a replacement, check out makerx esc. The DV6 has been great.

1 Like

Cheers bud. I’ve been happy with the Flupsky Dual 4.20 so far, hopefull it was just a glitch :crossed_fingers::+1::sunglasses:

2 Likes