Surf Rodz stuck axel!

In my case, I was putting on a clamp and tightened down and the screw was just a hair yoo long. When I tightened the axle, it hit this screw and slightly deforming it so it could come out and chewed up the hanger shaft. Such a bitch to remove, but definitely my own fault.15458368535873817596071379037576 15458369325348263766887751723446

2 Likes

Hard to see whats going on here, but you can see all the scarring in there.

the fit is so close that any minor deformity fucks things up pretty quickly.

that being said i love my surf rodz.

2 Likes

I also had the same thing or something similar happen where when I put my shoulder bolt/axle into the hanger I felt a little something almost catch and try to in this thread it which I think it might have slightly. when I backed it out (luckily I was able to) there is a little piece inside hanging in the hanger that looked like a small piece of the helicoil or the grub screw ( remove before I started any of this) messed something up and it tried to miss thread my axle. I was able to get it out and still use it but wasnt super stoked that my axle is scarred up on the inside some now and a couple times I’ve taken out the axle to change things around I find parts of Metal shavings will pour out. I wasn’t sure if it was worth hitting up SR on it or not but I had that happen on one side of each of my trucks I got from Black Friday… Should I contact them you guys think?

I would get some scotch Brite pad to clean up the bad spot the use loctite to keep it from moving.

3 Likes

Maybe someone should offer surfrod axles that are threaded at both ends instead of having to potentially mess up the hanger everytime you want to take the wheel off.

3 Likes

Pretty good idea. For some it will be useful

they do that for the 8mm axel

edit: i thought they did, but i don’t see them available anymore. oh well

Would that not be helicoilable?

have u tried heating it up? heat up the hangar so it expands away from the axle / shoulder bolt. maybe event drip some lubricant in there.

i’ve been sanding down the shoulder bolt, something i learned from psycho, if there’s any resistance inside the hangar.

haven’t had any issues with stuck axles so far.

1 Like

Yeah, I tried doing that but stopped because I didn’t want to melt the wheel, I’ll try again after I get something to eat

oh that’s right, wheel’s still on there…

2 Likes

Freezer is what got mine off after @mmaner suggested it. It was stuck AF.

2 Likes

just gave it a go. it’s still stuck inside, and now my hand is cold lol

tried calling SR, but I think they’re out until after the new year. at least i have some backups. had to get a new set of centrax wheels, which is a bummer

1 Like

https://www.surf-rodz.com/products/truck-parts/10-x-8mm-conversion-kit

1 Like