The Colateral: Moonshine sidekick 35" | Surfrodz 176mm | Blue Caguamas

The two decks aren’t really comparable in construction, and I’ve heard a lot of good things about the Sidekick.

Sidekick is vertically laminated with what looks like an improved version of the urethane rail from the Loaded Unicorn series, and I know Moonshine says that line is water resistant. I can say from experience with the Unicorn that the urethane rail does 100% diminish normal road vibration, and I would expect the same from the Sidekick.

Tayto is a traditional, lightweight maple, 7-ply deck - which is why I bought the Tayto to use with my UNIK boards kit and blue Kegels.

The Tayto is exactly what I am looking for in a ten-mile board (and I have a Mini X, aka the most over-hyped board since the Acton Qu4tro).

All that being said; if I had to have one board, and only one… it might be Alan’s Sidekick.

This one looks like a production prototype; I have no higher praise to give. :slight_smile:

Good hunting

3 Likes

Nice build. I’ve had my eye on this deck for awhile. I’m a huge fan of shorter kicktail decks that are stable at speed. I usually route my phase wires through the deck LHB style, do you see any issues doing that on this deck?

Very nice! Where did you place your charging port? I’m thinking of placements for power switches and charging ports, still deciding on where…

Place it on top of the enclosure near the nose, it’s always rewarding to kick tail your board up and plug the charger without bending yourself down for once.

3 Likes

Hey amazing work, so sick. Got a favor / question… I just got the outlaw last week and wanted to see if you could / would be open to making me the enclosure I need for it… I’m thinking it should basically be the same as on your build here since it’s the same shape and just the bigger brother to your board as they say on their website… so an extra 2 inches longer is all from what I can tell… right? I needed the bigger version since I’m a taller dude at 6’3” 200 lbs but not sure how to make it as clean & waterproof as possible with the grab rails / curves on the deck…? Pretty please and thank you in advance. Not sure if it matters but I have a 12s3p from Miami electric I can use on it, or, I have a spare r2 battery coming this week too. Lmk. image

2 Likes

I think you can get more then 3 people in on this enclosure, he can do it

I can do it, but I’ll need the deck here to make the enclosure edges to follow the shape of the deck.

Unfortunately, shipping the deck back and forth would cost a little bit more. DHL is like US$ 50 to Lima and US$ 50 to ship it back.

Maybe a wiser option would be to buy a new deck and keep it here

1 Like

Are you using two runs of silicone wires for your serial connections just for redundancy?

1 Like

To avoid a bottleneck and a current flow restriction

2 Likes

Great looking board and nice battery.

I’d put some individual strips of tape over the solder spots and over the nickel welds just to lower the risk of wires/nickel vibrating loose or moving around causing shorts IF they’d get loose.

@Jansen I want a enc. for that deck too, I thinking about getting one delivered to lima then shipped with the enc. to me when completed I wonder if anyone else fancies one? @Skunk? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have both decks …I was gonna pick up his sidkick in a week or two and I’ll test fot it on the outlaw to see if I wanted two…I’m sure it will fit the decks are very similar in every way but the middle is longer by 2 inch each side…so the pocket the rocker drop in the deck will be a bit longer but I bet lil bit of love with sand paper and grip tape on the bottom side …lil bit of love and a foam gasket it will fit…but if he make one longer a couple inch would save that 12s4p issue he had with the sidkick…but I’m probably interested in this also

1 Like

that would be great! I’m happy to use foam to make it fit :slight_smile:

Ok cool @sk8l8r if you guys can wait a week or so I’ll get back to you on it …I’ve been pumped big time for these enclosures…these decks are so fun…it would be awesome if it fits both decks …I’m sure it will be very close I’ll line them up again tonight when I get home and snap a pic of them side by side…but I know for a fact the bottom shape is identical just longer by couple inch …be interesting to see…if not I’m in for sending @Eboosted what ever he needs to get it done…the outlaw length is the same as hooch @mmaner and the elixer I want to get and build a mini trumpa urban carver off of I think still thinking …all these boards are very similar core shape just tail and nose shape are different…so would be nice to get a longer one going …if possible…how about this what I can do is when I get the enclosure I’ll be test fitting it on a bunch of moonshine decks at my friend’s DH shop in Toronto so I’ll keep you updated on it …I’ll have to see what they have left for inventory I’ll be stopping by there this week

2 Likes

word @sk8l8r and hells yeah @Frenchy that all sounds super good and glad a couple others are liking these decks and want to try them out as an esk8. Super fun (and really well made) decks. Those were my thoughts exactly though is just extending the middle section by a couple inches (whatever the difference in size is) since it’s the same shape and just a bigger version of the sidekick @Eboosted just did. I have no issue with a little sanding and using some extra foam gasket it should be just fine! And like you mentioned it will probably solve the space for battery creativeness issue. Why griptape on the bottom @Frenchy or are you just saying use that instead of sandpaper?

Yes @Jansen you can use sand paper too…just tape it down …but if you put grip tape …not aggressive grip …just some jessup… on the bottom of the board it will stay on there nice and you can move the enclosure from side to side to get a good shape of the deck …Als enclosure are fiberglass and Bondo basically it’s a Corvette shaped as a sweet ass bath tub…lol…lil bit of love does wonders…

1 Like

ahhhhhhhhhhh i get what you’re saying and thats a super good idea bro! Will def be using that trick in the future on this build and others too. Hells yeah! You cant use a heat gun on fiberglass to mold any spots like you can with a psycho enclosure can you? I did actually just hit psycho up too cause he lives close by me and last time I was at his house a month or two ago he was in the middle of doing a build for someone with the outlaw deck I have so I just text him to ask what he did on that and if he might have a mold for us that’s already done and made for the sexy ass curves this deck has, Keep you posted once I hear from him.

1 Like

Ahh OK. What size wire are you using for the serial connections, and the positive/negative leads on the whole pack? Are you expecting 60 amp max from the battery?

1 Like

I’m using 2 x 16awg wires between P groups, that’s more than enough to handle 80A, 40A for each motor.

Btw I changed the 15T motor pulley by a 18T and now the board is addictive to ride, smooth as butter, I haven’t got anything even close to a speed wooble, it turns more than a really loose truck, it rides like a dream, even with the 10s4p it pushes more than the Raptor 2.

These are the next steps:

1. Finish Sidekick DS enclosure
  2. Upgrade the battery to 12s5p
  3. Paint the deck in matte black with car paint
  4. Make a nice grip tape design
  5. Upgrade the bushings of my surfrodz
7 Likes

You’d upsell laser-cut grip tapes with all your enclosures, my friend.

I mean, I’m having one made right now to match your cutouts on the Evo Falcon enclosure for the Carvon.

Grip tape is very high margin and no drying time… :slight_smile: