The cost of an electric skateboard

I’m planning on using it for fun, i live in Holland and the roads here are pretty smooth in the most places. I go out on a normal board pretty often (when its not winter) on a normal board and would love to cruise around on an E-board for longer trips. I am quitte a tall guy and weigh about 80 kg (175lbs). My board is indeed kind of a boosted copy, I got most of my inspiration from the foosted board of skate metric and other boosted copys i’ve seen. Lack the inspiration and knowledge to completely come up with my own design. I’ve already put sooo many late nights into doing research online (kinda got addicted to this stuff:sweat_smile:).

So yeah, if you have any ideas for me, please let me know.

Have you looked at the hummie deck? On this forum does that appeal to you?

1 Like

that looks pretty good tbh… but does it carve as good as the Vanguard:thinking:. You think it would work with the rest of my setup (minus the enclosure) or would I have to change more?

I would change a lot of things for your build tbh

First of the motors. They don’t have a reputation, try and buy some maytech, torqueboard or SK3 motors

Your battery can be built by someone on the forum such as @pjotr47 and @acido

You can still buy focboxes or you can use that ESC it’s not bad with the right settings

And scout the forum for deals, you want quality stuff even if it’s used.

That deck is not a flex deck

3 Likes

Thx! that helps a lot, i am kinda on the fence about the hummie deck tho… its quitte low so the motors would probably not be able to fit underneath. this would be fine normally, but electric skateboards are still kind of illegal in holland so im trying to keep it low profile if you know what I mean… anyways, thank you so much man!

Yeah just don’t rush into it

The 6354 flipskys so far have a pretty good reputation on facebook and reddit, one of my pairs just hit 600km only change is phasewires.

The 6374 though, no go.

I’m currently at 2200 for my mountainboard. Round 200 of that is shipping costs and Im not including the costs of picking up tools here and there.

2 Likes

would you recommend them?

I got super good experience with the 6354 motors and can highly recomend them, flipsky is also super keen about replacing them if theres and issue or refunding.

I spent around 1300 euro on my trampa carver with etoxx drive, vesc6s and 12S4P

Only thing i bought brand new was the batteries that i welded(in bulk without tax), etoxx drive and eboosted enclosure. Rest was either soldered from scratch by me or bought second hand.

You can really cut some cost if youre willing to do more labour and find some great parts cheap from other ppl. Build took me 6 months tho since it took a while to hunt second hand stuff.

1 Like

Damn thats cheap, im at around 1600 euro on mine without any fancy drive.

1 Like

Yes, well I work as an Electrical engineer so I use my works lab to do stuff so I guess its not really fair xD

1 Like

I don’t remember the exact number. But all four of my builds were in the $1,200 price range. I don’t build batteries so I don’t have the tools for that, pretty much had all the other tools on my wall already

2 Likes

2 focboxes 2 sk3s some hk lipos, caliber trucks and flywheel clones from Amazon.com. A deck from any retailer you like Johnnys pully kits hk motor mount with locative red for screws u can also add heatshrink on the truck (for reduced vibrations to the mount) And wires and xts from hk too.

The mount would be the only sketch part.

Yeah plus your battery is twice the size of mine. I cheaped out on motors (flipsky) and bms (aliexpress). But I mean it’s moot point anyway cos I ended up ordering an extra e-caliber truck (thought standard calibers would be too narrow), blowing up a bms, buying some wera hex keys, buying a band saw…

1 Like

There is one mistake. The mistake of you taking on this expensive hobby that seems to be a money pit. Really ask yourself if you wish to enter this realm because the amount you plan to spend can be easily match with buying a new gaming computer or going on a trip.

2 Likes

you wrong boi https://www.kmart.com.au/product/38in.-free-rider-skateboard/1969801

3 Likes

unforutnately that´s not always possible. I can´t imagine to get a emtb done under 1500$, shipping only will already be 400$ min. Even with black friday deals etc… for example, to get some wheels, bindings and bearings from mbs, cost me 95$ shipping on a total of not even 200$ in value of parts.

I think a big factor is your location and availabilty of parts. your build priorities and goals and for sure, if you go singel, dual or quad drive

2 Likes

No :rofl: