The LANDWHEEL electric hub drive

You dont buy boosted for specs or range, you buy it because it is comfortable and reliable :slight_smile: There are only two other companies known for being reliable and they are mellow and metro, no other as far as I know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mellow is still working out their downhill braking issues

I definitely got the Boosted due to reliability and abuse-ability

Boosted are hard to beat, love to ride them! I hope the raptor 2 will hold up with boosted in quality! :slight_smile:

Donā€™t forget the evolve ā€¦ The GT had a few issues but they listened and care for their customers and now gtx is one of the best on the market with an awesome customer service. Landwheel needs to treat the v5 as a new beginning after all the issues they had in the past. The v5 is not bad, I think it is just us customers who try to compare among the other board on the market. Now when it comes to accessories it is incredible how for just 2 batteries and a couple of tires including shipping the price is as much as the price of their drive. The more they make their existing customer happy the more sales they will get as itā€™s us (customers) who sell their board from either mouth to mouth or online forums. I have check every reviews on the net and everyone was saying the same thing about the landwheel, ā€œthey are not good enoughā€ but Iā€™m sure most of them do not owe the v5 itā€™s their experience from previous models or they have read them off the net ā€¦ We get frustrated with landwheel because they sell a mid range product with high end price when it comes to accessories.

I thought they have already found the solution with heat resistor (I dont know its name)ā€¦

@Micsk8 Evolve is not reliableā€¦it is certainly much better than the chineese boards, but still there are many things they can improveā€¦

So lots of posters are commenting on the range and the weight of the batteries. These comments are fair. However, everythin is a trade-off.

Boosted board has 7 mile range but thier batteries cost $500 for a spare. YOu can pre-order an extended range if you buy a G2 at the same time. However, Iā€™ve been waiting for almost 2 years for my extended range battery. Still love my boosted boards.

One Landwheel battery gets just over half the range of a boosted board battery but the batteries are cheap ā€“ Under $200. So with 2 batteries you exceed the boosted board range and the spare batteries are affordable and available. Yes the Lipoā€™s are heavier and with significanly less range than Lion. Thatā€™s the trade-off.

We can suggest a LION option for Landwheel. Its a good suggestion. But those batteries are going to cost a whole lot more than the LIPOā€™s. They may cost so much more that no one will be wililng to buy them.

On the Wheels. I weigh 230lbs and Iā€™ve been hitting a lot of gravel. The PU is surviving very well.

Iā€™ve networked 2 L3-x batteries together for a 10 mile range. Thatā€™s pretty good for a 230 pound rider on a route that included a lot of intersections, pot holes and braking and speed changes with very little coasting.

Iā€™ve been in Florida for almost 2 weeks with 2 boosted boards, 2 onewheels and 2 Landwheels. The dual battery Landwheel on a Flex1 deck has been riden the most becasue of the range and how well it absorbs poor quality sidewalks, and roads. The onewheels have been riden almost as much because they charge up so fast. I can ride 2 miles to Home Depot, Charge it up in the store in 10 minutes and ride back to the RV camp on a full battery without worrying about exhausitng the 5 - 7 mile range.

Boosted boards have been mostly stored in the RV. They lack the range for the 10 mile round trips and the shorter trips are more comfortable and more manuverable on a one wheel.

The Landwheel does not match the accellration and brake strength of the boosted board. However, Iā€™ve grown to enjoy the landwheel accelleration and braking. Its fool proof. Iā€™have a miniscus tear and my balance is off. On the Landwheel, I canā€™t make a mistake that would throw me off.

Everything is a trade-off. Sometimes less is more. Less range is more range if you have two batteries that you can afford. Less accelleration can be more fun if you get to top speed a nice pace that is super safe and smooth. Less powerful brakes can also be more. My landwheel brakes across sand and gravel patches without spinning out like Iā€™m pretty sure would have happened on my boosted boards

pk

1 Like

LiPos arent heavier than Lionsā€¦for the same weight you get more discharge and capacity from LiPo than Lion :slight_smile: Boosted uses LiFePO4 batteries (in standard battery pack) which have the worst specs in terms of weigh and capacity compared to lions and lipos, but their advantage is that they can take much more charge cycles, output more amps and they are safer :slight_smile:

And yeah I undestand your opinion, everyone prefers different boardā€¦But if I had landwheel or any other chineese board I would be afraid that it will break after some time, thats something that doesnt happen to boosted.

Yes, I agree. Only time will tell if the landwheels are durable. Everyone likes different boards for different reasons which is why many of us own multiple boards. I too appreciate the boosted board quality and reliability which is why I own 2. The same is true of my 2 onewheels. Iā€™m hoping for good durability from the landwheel because there is a lot that I like about them also. Specifically, I get to choose the length and flex of the board to fit my weight and stance. Also, I get to choose my own maximum range, with affordable spares.

One more Land wheel positive is that when mounted on a Flex 1 board, it tows behind nicely on two wheels. Boosted board does not do that without me crouching over. So if I ride to a store, the landwheel becomes almost weightless. This positive is a function of the taller wheels and 4 inches of extra length that I get from my own choice of deck.

1 Like

Didnā€™t realize you were a OW rider as well. I got one last month and somewhat regret my purchase now. Itā€™s harder to ride that I thought, I guess my main issue is how high off the ground I am, stopping and getting off.

For future reference. Looks like the internal diameter is the same

Stick with it and you will master it. You are a heavier rider so you likely need to pump up the tire. They ship them out inflated for lighter riders. If the tire is under inflated for your weight the contact patch will be too fat and distorted, especially at higher speeds. The tires will wear quickly and the range will be very short.

Check the specs for max tire pressure then pump it up to the max.

Next, practice in your driveway with two pilons. Make the tightest curve possible at each pilon until you can do a 1.5 foot radius turn. Practice turns in both directions.

Next go to a socer field and practice bige figure eights. The trick is to let the board correct itself and just let your ankles float on top. The big fat tire wants to lay flat so when you hit a lob sided pot hole, just let your ankles float with it.

As for dismounting, I have both the one wheel and the one wheel plus. I donā€™t like the new foot sensor on the one wheel plus. The old one was better. Anyway, you probably know this but there are three ways to get off.

1. lift your heel and stand on your tip toe on the sensor pad while getting ready to shift weight to the rear paddle when the balance cuts out.
  2. Lift your insole on the sensor pad so that the outer edge of your shoe tred is standing on edge. 3 Jump off with both feet and run away so you donā€™t get whacked on the heels.

Tips. Never ride wiht the sensor pad at the rear. If you hit a bump, your rear foot will bounce off the sensor. the front pdel will drop. Your front foot will slide off the front. Then your rear foot will land backon the paddle and the one wheel will smash into your front ankle and keep on plowing until you jump off the rear paddle. I speak from experience. Its super painful and can have lasting effects on your ankle. So always ride with the sensor at the front.

2 Likes

I have a Landwheel, i love that its got swappable batterys but im not keen on hub motors so i was wondering if its possible to switch from the hubs to belt driven motors without blowing up the esc lol?

1 Like

That is probably possible. Wires from ESC to motor are similar. But the sensor wire/connector from motor to ESC may be different.

1 Like

Their esc uses 3.5mm bullets.

The problem I see is clearance of the motor mount and motor. The way this is designed. You will need the rear mount.

Also the stock truck on these have four threaded holes that is used to mount it to the aluminum alloy plate of the unit. So keep in mind itā€™s a little different if you plan to on moving from one deck to another as your mod would become detached once the four hardwares are removed

2 Likes

We will be distributing L3-X drives and their components to the UK and EU market with our own deck option, as well as handling warranty upkeep and out of warranty repairs in Plymouth. :slight_smile:

Yian

2 Likes

Hey guys long time no speak. I was so happy that the new version of the landwheel actually worked and the breaking was better etc.

But after day one of using it the casing literally just fell off with the screws flying everywhere. No idea how this happened or if I hit a rock. Just wondering if it happened to anyone else. Landwheel said it wasnā€™t screwed tight enough. Firstly not sure if that is the cause, but I worry about future users if it was the cause.

So far three people including myself saw this problem. What is the condition of the drive after the casing split open? This is a known issue that Landwheel has resolved now. I believe because the battery is heavier now so the screws that held the metal plate to the plastic case is not long enough to take the vibration and weight

@Landwheel can send you the replacement screws of you can just do it yourself for under $2.

This is what I used. Just take off the drive. Peel back the rubber pad from the battery end. Once you expose the 7 black screws you can stop as those are the only ones that needs to be swapped

@Landwheel was all over this for my family last week. They sent a video on how to perform this Phillips-screwdriver-simple repair and sent us replacement shells in the mail.

Theyā€™re good people, you can tell. :slight_smile:

Mikeā€™s fix worked brilliantly, however. I did opt for softer brass screws + purple Loctite (low strength). Just remember to use hand tools and your human torque spidey sense when tightening plastic to metal.

Happy to report both units are solid as a rock, now (we bought two v5ā€™s and Iā€™m looking for a 3rd that I can splice into an AWD). :cowboy_hat_face:

Thanks @Mikenopolis!

The cover fell off and they sent me a replacement with the screws. but my concern is there is a loose wire I am not sure what to do about.

Loose wire? Is it the thin black one? Thatā€™s just the antenna

1 Like