This is my second proper build, in short it features:
- VESC in BLDC mode (esk8.de)
- Enertion drive train kit (15T/36T)
- 6372 RSpec Motor
- Drop down deck (link) [~62 eur]
- 97mm wheels (link) [~65 eur]
- 8S6P Li-ion 12.5A - edit: updated battery from lipo to li-ion! range is now ~15 miles (~25kmh) in normal condition at moderate speed (18 mph avg cruising speed - 14 mph avg speed counting stops at traffic lights ^^ ) - 8S BMS - INR18650-25R 2500mAh - 20A cells with U solder tabs [~170 eur]
- Max speed on flat at full charge: ~37 kmh / ~23 mph
Now this build has become my main one. I have this build already ( The MKV #1 http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/the-mkv-1-esk8-de-6374-vesc-koston-deck-lipo-6s-5a-psychotillers-enclosure/2298/21 - the MKV #0 has been “decommissioned” ) but I wanted to try a new deck shape, I felt that when I switched to 97mm I was too far away from the ground, that’s why I bought this deck
Deck Being used to the Koston deck, which was super stiff and super stable at high speed (which I didn’t reach because of 6S, low gearing + FOC) but a bit too far from the ground, changing to this deck was a blast. Much more manuverable, good for carving, a bit wobbly if you’re not careful at high speeds but definately I prefer this, it’s also lighter but I will probably go with a longer deck and/or a drop-down deck that is not a double drop.
The only problem is that (even if I added some quite thick risers) the (awesome’s @RunPlayBack’s) enclosure gets scratched a bit on some bumps ( sorry Rick!, the good thing is that I’ll probably need to order another one at some point ).
Circuit + Lipo splitting: I currently have a 8S made from x2 4S in series, I switch on the circuit via the anti-spark loop-key, it’s alright for now until I can get another anti-spark switch. The 4S packs were made from 2 6S packs that had a bad cell on each of them (went to 0V), I tried to do a 10S (5S in series) but one cell kept disconnecting because I couldn’t solder one of the tabs very well. Also I didn’t need all that speed (cuz of 97mm wheels), with 8S I feel a bit more torque too which is not bad. Thanks @Jinra for the goo-gone tip, that worked very well to unglue the lipos. The lipos are connected also in parallel to allow charging them at once, It’s a bit time consuming to open the enclosure, disconnect the esc and connect all the charging cables manually but as I’m going to do a Li-ion battery pack soon (next week hopefully) this solution is alright for now.
Video Here’s the HQ version of it: http://mkv-video.s3.amazonaws.com/esk8/mkvbuild2-thames-path-2.mp4 (I have still to figure out why youtube is compressing my vids a bit…) I tried to do a video from a third person view but my stick is not long enough ( lol ), so It’s a bit too close to my back, also it seems a bit strange because it looks like I’m going straight instead of sideways, whatever… ^^. Also I didn’t orient the camera properly, when I checked on the viewfinder it was ok but then I reset the gimbal because a guy asked some questions and it wasn’t pointing down anymore, you can barely see the board unfortunately…
This is the non sped up / no-titles version - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LrWTLx3iW8 Unfortunately on that river path I couldn’t hit full throttle. I will do another video of hitting full throttle on good asphalt, for now max speed is 36km/h (~22mph) and I’m pretty happy with it. I’ll try to modify the other build to make it a 10S because I feel more comfortable going high speed with that deck than this one.
I will post more videos soon and a web config tool to share VESC settings, exported via the XML Export featur ( If you were wondering why I put a dead link on the video ). I’m working on it!
Other things to note is that I’m back with the old controller and I enjoy it more than the compact one (doesn’t loose signal that much + the trigger is more accurate than the thumb control). Also I’m not using the 6374 sensored which is still on the other build and I quite enjoyed that, probably I’ll move it to this build at some point…
edit: ouch in the video I put drop trough in the titles instead of drop-down …