The nicest hub motors! For sale cheaper than anywhere!

Looks like he used the chamfer on those orangatang in heat to fit a fan unit. Thats a neat idea. Also, those wheels are 75mm, so I’m nos sure the motor is larger in diameter than hummies.

Heat magically no longer a problem. I’ll post a video tonight of seeing what temps I do going up mount Tamaulipas. If it’s the airgap…or magnet size…don’t know but my thermometer is back to showing lllllooooowwww numbers.

Stary…the planetary gear is cool but ultimately I feel the space they’re filling with gearing would be better utilized with motor. The question of what size motors are needed to perform as hub motors with no gearing…feel they could just do that with the amount of complexity and space they use anyway almost.

1 Like

Wow, that is awesome!

Well the smaller the air gap means better saturation which means better efficiency and less heat. In RC cars, a correctly geared motor will heat up to a desired temp of 150F. So being around 140 is perfect.

Why would u want to be 150f? Heat Increases electrical resistance, slightly decreases magnet strength and slowly will deteriorate winding enamel. I’ve heard of heating batteries for better performance. Why .1mm airgap change would have huge consequences I don’t know and I almost don’t believe my thermometer numbers. I always equated a motor magnet’s pull force (as shown on j and b magnets calculator) as the revealation of its possible performance. I’m stunned. Happy. won’t put the strain on things the high heat was doing, can go back to 80 duro rubber and not worry about it baking. No more forced air cooling attempts for me

I guess i used the wring word there. Its not a desired temp, but the normal temp for good gearing.

Do you think you’ll still do some higher kv motors in steel? Suitable for a 6s system?

This is all great news. I just got the blue goo ones running yesterday. I’ll write-up a build report in a few days, but so far everything seems awesome. I’m on a 10s3p (space cell) and 80kv motors – qualitatively, these things have plenty of oomph. Washington, DC is pretty flat, so I’m not too worried about things over heating. That said, in my next build, I’d love to try these steel hubs.

@Hummie Is it possible to order slow cure, 80 duro rubber from you?

Yea the 80 duro is on route. I can send u some by end of this week

Sorry people lately I’ve been behind sending to!!! I’m still trying to get this ship sailing and done right.

The steel are all 80 and 90kv. The challenge is selling the last aluminum (same but a couple 200kv) and sell the steel…and have enough money to make the price for the 80 motors I’ll have to buy next time.

Buy the aluminum at the web price and you can later get the steel for 225$.

I’ll be happy to provide my review of the aluminum if that helps get more info out there. I need to do some traveling for the next week, but when I’m back in town I’ll be hitting these motors.

That’s great news on the slow cure 80 duro.

Seriously, thank you for everything you’ve been doing for the community here. I love reading your updates and hearing people’s experiences with your motors.

2 Likes

These baby’s keep on truckin’ :grin:

1 Like

Are these motors delta wound? So i could terminate them to wye and get 52kv out of the 90’s?

Haha. Everyone videos are of their shoes. One day I’ll finally make a cool first person video with good sound Hope ur riding on FOC. For me even with the vesc on 12s and the bldc program it’s not nearly as great.

These are delta wound. But if u were to change them to wye I think it would be hard as the motor wires are converted to a single strand. And there’s glue. I find reterminating too frustrating. If it was motor strands that came all the way out maybe go through strand by strand and that’d be easy. Going in the motor to take apart the glued connections between windings is ridiculously hard I find.

Damn j wanted to test these up the mountains in the north bay and am on route there now but riding earlier this morning I hit the second low voltage cut off and rode a bit more going it’s max speed of maybe 5mph. I had the limit set to 3.5 a cell. I rode around for not even long and also did a downhill( thinking id be charging) get home and every one of my cells is sucked to 2.7 or less and one at .6! Did riding downhill on the brakes discharge instead of charge?

I’ll be plugging them into other batteries tonight and I’m still thinking a video of me doing something really long and steep will happen. I’ll point the camera up a lot. I’m excited and totally confused and just capable of happiness with the low temps and what I think I’ll be able to do.

Haha i was just playing around with the .gif format, making infinite loops. I have some first person riding footage, while commenting and such. But the audio sucks and i hate talking to the cam haha. I’ll put up some more vids / compilations this week. I also have an old iphone which i’m going to rig up as a speedometer and try and film my max-speed, maybe go full throttle down a hill, but i want my full-face helmet for that first though haha

I went to a weird RC-racetrack’ish kind of thing yesterday, and let a bunch of my friends try my board. All of them loved it haha (they’ll probably be your next customers, lol). Unfortunatly the track is a little to small to go full throttle and have to brake pretty hard for the corners. So i’m looking for a place where i can measure some speed records and try to enprove them.

(only rode around the outside, inner stuff is some heavyduty BMX stuff, so need a bigass trampa board for that)

I just received my new VESCs the other day so I’m working on building my housings and getting the board together. Might be able to get a maiden voyage this week depending on time. I’ll be running 10S 5000mAh and I have monster hills at my house. Super excited to join the Hub Club :wink:

I’m anxious to get mine as well. Wonder what the status is on these hubs.

Alright, I got my VESCs talking to the GUI and trying to get familiar with programming these Hub motors (newbie to this software, but familiar with Arduino etc). Can John (Hummie) or anyone give me some basic parameters to get going conservatively. I’m not sure if I should start off with BLDC or just go FOC. My VESCs have 2.18 Firmware, FYI. Plan on using my Nunchuck controller. This seems like a straightforward set up tutorial: https://youtu.be/xSCEFK7Zljw

I used Vedder’s tutorial to get my VESCs configured with Hummie’s motors. The only thing I did different was to lower my ‘Batt max’ since I’m using a Space Cell. It runs like a charm, super smooth and powerful. You might want to check with Hummie to see if there’s any other parameters he changed (I think somewhere else he said he kept the defaults too). He’s been running his much longer than me (less than a week).

Vedder’s FOC tutorial (the first 2:30 is what I paid attention to):

1 Like

Hi Troy if you know what ur doing its easy. How far along are you? I didn’t change anything from my defaults ( but maybe ur defaults are different) except the max amps from battery,'max to the motor, and I decreased the regen a bit too I think. I’d try the FOC program!

If u call me I can help you but I’m no expert. But it doesn’t take an expert 610-416-2650

Hummie did you make that video with temperature tests for steel hubs ?