The State of DIY - Where it is now and where it's going

lol yep, for sure. Maybe ill make a thread tomorrow…

Looking good!

1. How will you cover up those gears? At a 90 angle it will be a little difficult to find a common plane to cover those on.

2. Assuming the motors won’t be flying in the air :slight_smile: I guess you will create an L-profile type motor mount from the motor shaft?

1 Like

Haha nope, mounts will ship with a free guide to levitation :wink:.

The mounting bracket for these is very hard to explain in words, I will maybe make a thread tomorrow to document my progress

Sorry for the hijack @Michaelinvegas :joy:

1 Like

Looks awesome!

1 Like

I wish I had more time to work on them…

Weekends are just about the only time I can sit down and work on them for more than 2 hours. Soon to be eliminated once I get my work permit

I would be very concerned about sand.

@DougM sometimes it’s not even sand…

Ain’t that right @MoeStooge? Sometimes it’s a little bit of tissue paper that can get you. Lol

I think a cover would be needed.

2 Likes

Here’s a case in point

Mod done to a Boosted

The problem with making a gearbox is size…

It would only be possible with 90+mm wheels, unless you wanted to run like 5tooth to 20 tooth :joy:

I haven’t hit tissue paper yet, but I have definitely hit sand :slight_smile:

Hahah yeah man Ask @MoeStooge…We did a group ride in Venice California…one minute he’s behind me…second later…gone… a stupid piece of tissue paper just got sucked up into his gears… and you know what happens then right? Lol good thing Moes short like me…wasn’t a far fall to the ground hahhahaha

3 Likes

lol ill start work on a fully enclosed direct drive for bigger wheels once I finish this one

1 Like

Not to dissuade you at all – but why not build on Jenso’s design of the two gears just being on the same plane? But instead you implement a helical gear design for better tooth binding? Also it will be easier to cover up then. This sideways pinion and gear design you are doing looks different and similar to a car’s transmission transfer case but I think the cover will be tricky. I think I remember you posting about a helical gear design in the past.

It’s just an idea - do carry on - still curious how your mount will look.

too mainstream :wink:

ill post some pics of the mount in a second

@GrecoMan we should have someone split this thread…you def should have a place to talk abt your designs…people are interested !

Hey @treenutter help hahah

1 Like

Precision gears like the helical are very unforgiving and need to be aligned precisely.

1 Like

haha that’d be nice…

no more hijacking :joy:

I may go just make a new thread. Be on the lookout!

When do you think these sets are ready? @Michaelinvegas

1 Like

with any helical gear setup the tendency is for one gear to want to push out of plane from the other gear. This then requires a fairly hefty frame to keep them all together. One possible solution is to use the (I’m sure there’s a name for it) type of gear they use in 3D printer extruders

http://reprap.org/mediawiki/images/thumb/d/d6/Stoffel15_Wade_Gears.jpg/630px-Stoffel15_Wade_Gears.jpg

If you’ve got a 4 axis mill handy you can make them using an End Mill Gear Cutter which, last time I checked didn’t exist but now does