Think I just killed my board

hey so I guess im extremely stupid and think i just destroyed my battery/vesc it sparked didnt realize I was doing something very dumb is it all fucked now?

battery still shows 42 volts

2 Likes

Wow we just had this conversation on another forum. Not you, but the guys on one of the Rc forums.

So if I’m looking at this correctly it was just a momentary arc flash and thats not a solder joint that heated up and detached itself?

Theres a very good chance that your vesc is indeed toast. But the saving grace there is the esc acted as a fuse and stopped what could have been a lot more damage to your batteries. For the time being I would store that battery somewhere where if it does self destruct the rest of the way the smoke and flames wont be an issue to people/pets/property. At least for a day or two.

Is there a way to check each cell of your batteries internal resistance? That would be a good place to start.

Suspect the battery will be ok but might have slightly increased internal resistance and/or a shortened lifespan. But if it charges/discharges and keeps its voltage after its charged it should be ok.

Also open up the vesc case and look for any fried SMD components or other internal damage. I wouldnt risk powering it up with a battery, especially under full voltage.

1 Like

thanks for the reply saw nothing in the vesc and the battery port had no visual damage currently have no way to test it other than my potential shorted battery Praying this battery isnt toast just gotit :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: will i need to remove the nickel strips to test each cell? do you recommend scrapping the vesc or testing it ordered new xt90 connectors

1 Like

What did you do that caused this? Soldering the XT90 to your battery?

2 Likes

If you dont have a battery charger that measures internal resistance or an internal resistance meter I wouldnt worry about it. And no, removing nickel strips wouldnt accomplish anything.

You’ll probably need a multimeter to check the ESC. It looks like it was connected backwards. It’s likely the ESC is toasted.

2 Likes

I’ll tell you exactly what happened and was my fear when I saw the XT-90s connectors appear on the Unity +

So all batteries are female XT 90/s/ XT60. Unity + is also female XT90s. In my case, I exchanged that XT90s at the battery side and installed a male XT90 on the unity.

I don’t recall if the male XT90 is delivered with the unity+, but it’s installed on the female, which he put backwards in another female

This is the female XT90s with male XT90 on it. which he shoved 180 degrees into another XT90 female.

I adviced Jason about this when I first saw this, he better kept it male XT90 with a XT90s to go on the battery side.

3 Likes

yes thats exactly what happened

2 Likes

Is your unity doing anything when connected the right way ?

1 Like

I believe I have two female connectors and theres no way to connect am I wrong?regardless planning on changing battery connector would it be safe to use the burnt connector?

1 Like

So much for trying to be different @onloop

2 Likes

You need a double male connector adapter.

1 Like

Xt90 male or female, both have pins sticking out the back…

I’m sorry @gemini, but the root cause of this fault is stupidity… no offense.

I bet you won’t do it again.

3 Likes

Harry? Haaaarrrrryyyy? Best part of that movie.

2 Likes

:joy: so good.

2 Likes

Yes that’s what I thought too seeing it

1 Like

Did you ever get this resolved? Was the Unity toast?