Trampa Street Carve NYC Style

Will leave this here:

It is video @E-Boarding published in video thread, I hope he does not mind :smiley:

He actually convinced me just from video materials alone that these wheels are somewhat worthy for light off-roading.

Thought it can be seen that wheels do spin out from time to time…

Otherwise the wheels itself did convince me from all the videos / pictures I saw, that they are a reliable ‘‘cross-breed’’ wheels, offering relaively big size, while not being pneumatics.

So yeh, quite a bit of ‘‘shock’’ to find out they always does not work out that well…

I had heard about the pimples being a bit annoying and making a vibration on their own, just didnt know they might destroy certain trucks this way…

From picture @Kaly posted, it can be seen that contact patch with road is very in the middle (shape of the wheel)… maybe this makes the wheels to ‘act’ as railroad wheels, taking up some of the vibrations harshly…

Dunno how it is really :smiley: but as said, didnt expect this, knew about the pimples from what others said… but cracking trucks is something new.

2 Likes

funny how things can be perceived so differently! I saw the video and just thought “wow, this looks like no fun at all with these wheels!” :smile:

4 Likes

@whitepony Well, to be honest this was the only real video I had seen where these wheels were applied to such terrain and it seemed impressive that they managed to do somewhat fine!

Of course there was a bit of struggle riding as it could be seen in video but I dont really have any reference point on how regular flat profile urethane wheels act on such terrain.

Some sticks could be seen on his path and I think he even managef to roll over one while also dealing with the many leaves (leafs) there were

Vibrations to my legs and to the board were pretty much the reason why I’m building my next board with pneumatics and spring trucks. The added benefit of being able handle more gravel and rougher surfaces are an absolute plus though.

1 Like

So the width in the MBS wheels and the pneumatics is totally different. I wonder how he compensated for that. If you look in the pictures there is a big gap that these wheels leave behind and that can be a problem. In the picture the wheels are on infinity urban carver of course i haven’t used the board in this set up yet but im now going to finish the build (hopefully soon) and then try it myself.

Compansate with a wide spacer.

Hi @longhairedboy, Kaly split his hanger in half, which is an issue. But it never occurred using any other wheel in all the years we make the street carver. The Vertigo Truck never had any issues, being used for kite, MTB and street. Our Equipment is usually being battered harder than any other gear you will find out there. People really take things to the very edge, and that is what we design our gear to outlast. The Video below shows what I’m talking about - minute 2.04 onward will give an impression.

If a 6mm aircraft alloy, T6 heat treated, splits in half, there is a bad resonance caused by the knobbles, you can’t deny that. Regular street wheels don’t send that frequency towards the hanger. I think a simple tweak, as described above, will solve the matter (rubber pad below lower spring retainer). My guess is: Knobbles cause springs to resonate in a certain frequency and they then send the vibrations back onto the hanger base. After millions of little shocks the alloy will get cracks. This is a unique thing that happened only in combination with this special wheel! The street carver is not a new product and its proven to perform fantastic using slick wheels or pneumatics (as offered by us).

I can see more problems occurring, using knobbly wheels. If 6mm high grade alloy cracks, nickel strips and solder joins, PCBs and the like will also suffer. I’m not a big fan of parts causing vibrations. That’s my point. So extra care needs to be taken (rubber pads, regular checks for cracks).

Might be that others use the wheel for a while now, not having seen any issues. That does not mean that no issues will occur in the next couple of months/miles. If you would have asked Kaly last Friday he would have said: No problems! On Sunday he changed his opinion (-;

Things last till they finally brake… Please check your gear on a regular basis.

So before any disappointment or accidents happens I rather say: Do not use these wheels in combination with our trucks. This combination seams to cause an issue. If you can’t withstand, its your risk and please take extra care. Take extra care, regardless of the equipment you ride. We have seen an issue and it might happen again.

Frank

1 Like

I still fail to understand why it’s the wheels fault. I have very sensitive feet and MBS give the least amount of foot strain on par with 97mm abecs. I can’t use 90mm abecs or kegels because my feet hurt to much. The nubs create barely any noticable vibration and they flatten out after couple of miles. I would blame the bad roads(everything is bad roads for urethane lol) +urethane combo and lack of vibration dampening (bushings) in trampa truck. The shape of the wheel actually help if there is cracks in the road, they can deform instead of uncontrolled steering like square wheels.

Myabe! I ride 83a to send as many vibrations as possible ( crash test dummy…) and Berlin is not famous for good roads. I haven’t seen any split trucks so far and we sell the product since 2013. Sometimes its not a matter of the vibration but a matter of a certain frequency that causes resonance. Since the wheel has knobbles it will cause a certain vibration at a certain frequency, which might be no issue for your feet but maybe for the truck. Since we have seen a split hanger, using these wheels, and we haven’t seen anything like that in all the years, my conclusion is: take extra care until we know more.

Frank

I’m not sure how trampa trucks work, but longboard trucks have bushings and pivot cups for extra vibration dampening (and support pin sometimes). I guess with air filled tires vibration is no issue. I also ride through back alleys where it’s literally painful to ride just to see what will fail if anything, it’s usually screws backing out. I am curious to see if it is a design limitation of truck or actually the wheels. I think it’s to early to throw MBS wheels under the bus.

Its about A+B+C+D that might be an issue. Its not about A or B or C or D being an issue. I would simply take extra care and ad some rubber in between the lower spring retainer and the Hanger + a rubber pad in between the deck and the truck when riding these wheels. I would also have a close look once a while. But I can’t say this combo works great! I can say we had zero issues in the past using our wheels. ZERO! There are quite a few boards out there, so problems would have been known till now.

Frank

1 Like

Yeah, you definitely need spacers for the front truck, at the moment I’m using washers to fill the gap

That’s exactly what I though when I saw that video, there’s no way this guy is going to try this ride ever again, I suffered from just seeing it it is just there to proof a point, you could have done that with any wheel.

@kaly can you post a picture of the crack?

I have spacers for it but where you put the spacers can have alot to do with the vibration and the whole breaking of the hanger. Atleast thats my opinion. Another thought is maybe that 1 specific hanger was bad and in time it showed up. Of course these are just my thoughts on it. Wont really know untill kaly can figure it out. My question is does anyone else have this set up and is experiencing this exact issue?

Kaly have build several street carvers, it’s a hot seller

…not just 1 bad Lambjr088…Both of Kaly’s boards are experiencing same fractures .

Here is the picture @Eboosted @Randyc1 @halifax21

A closer look

As you can see is a curved fracture, this are cause by a resonance wave, the source of this wave is the question to answer. Have in mind that resonance waves have even taken down bridges, planes and broken other type of equipment.

In my opinion and this is not trying to put anybody product down, the small contact patch does not allows for proper propagation of the impact wave through the mass of the urethane, the wave transfer with all its intensity onto the hanger and there is where it dissipates all its energy.

It is like taking a punch, by pulling back the smallest distance you take away the a big amount of impact force.

The normal RKP does this via the bushing on the kingpin and cup, so even using any type of wheel this mechanism dissipate the wave.

The Trampa truck design is different. It can take more blunt abuse than the normal RKP.

But when using urethane, needs to have a big contact patch of the wheels, to help with the dissipation of the shock waves into the mass of the urethane.

I’ll try to get a set of this wheels to a lathe, then we will tested once more, meanwhile I have a set of 97mm abec11 and pneumatics too.

7 Likes

Kaly some of your builds use other wheels correct ?,…if so those will have to be monitored also for these fractures ?

Is yr other board fracture in tbe exact same spot?

If I may interject into this conversation, I have the MBS wheels on my @longhairedboy board for quite some time and have probably put at least 500 or more miles on them, I can totally see the issues @Kaly had for his board. These wheels were wonderful at the beginning, but after a while they deteriorate greatly. I actually felt vibration more the more mileage i put on these wheels.

Another big concern I have with the deterioration is grip factor. They become less grippy the more stress you put on them. A few weeks ago, the board slip right under my foot and I fell forward onto my knees while I was trying to accelerate from standing position, something which has never happened on my Abec11 97mm before. I think these wheels works wonderfully for the first 250 miles or so when use on roads but after they deteriorated, where the center dimples are almost even due to stress, you should switch them out for another sets. Personally, i have 3 boards with diff wheels configuration and I can tell you that the pneumatics can really take a punch and is probably the best bang for your bucks when you use it for city full of cracks and potholes like NYC.

5 Likes