UL2272 Safety Standard for DIY Esk8

Yeah thing is in Singapore we don’t have many rights, we’re basically a richer more successful North Korea that has international trade and is run under the pretense of democracy

1 Like

Unfortunately electronic mobility device regulations IS one of the main hot button topics in our country.

Because of the black sheep which were caught speeding in excess of 100km/h, very public viral news about accidents involving kids, very vocal anti-escooter activists, poorly informed consumers who overcharged their batteries resulting in fires, etc etc etc…

Basically the administration is promoting a “car-lite” environment but also wants to make sure the whole escooter craze doesn’t get people hurt.

It’s really not so much about the benefits of it, it’s more about how to circumvent all the possible negative results of this new technology. Our current way is to slap on regulation after regulation after regulation…

1 Like

Here is the thing, who is riding a board they made three years ago? Imagine where the technology will be at in three+ years time? With regulation it will provide a environment of greater security for business to invest in the industry. Imagine where we could be in 5 years time with such a environment and backing?

Can’t do much but wait and see, I don’t think it looks like doom & gloom.

1 Like

I feel like people aren’t reading the article linked by Linny upthread.

The problem is not the requirement for certification in itself, but rather, who has to comply that requirement?

If it is just the manufacturer, that’s fine. That’s a reasonable target. If you extend it, and say that importers and distributors cannot deal in non-certified products, that’s again fine, that’s a logical extension. There’s also a grace period for vendors to get rid of existing stock.

But what was announced is that uncertified PMDs will be illegal to ride on the roads:

Devices on public paths which are not UL2272 compliant will be illegal from January 2021, said Dr Lam. For retailers, the Government intends to prohibit them from selling non-compliant motorised PMDs from July 2019. Existing users of devices which do not meet the standard can continue using them until end-2020. The grace period is to facilitate the introduction of UL2272 as a technical standard, said Dr Lam.

We’ll have to wait to see the actual language of the amended rules, but in Singapore, when a senior minister of state in the relevant ministry (ministry of transport) makes a public statement on what is or is not going to be enacted as law, and that bill that is to be enacted is currently before parliament, you can be fairly sure that what was said will mirror what is to come.

Which means that yes, you are going to have enforcement teams on the roads catching riders. Like they already do: see this article with pictures of the enforcers, who have speed guns to measure your speed and who have scales to measure the weight of the PMD you are riding:

Say what you will about the Singapore Government, they are fairly efficient at setting this kind of thing up.

All this background is to set the context for why OP has phrased his original post the way he has. How does a hobbyist go about getting UL2272 certified? Has anyone tried? plz halp!

That the requirement will be imposed is a foregone conclusion, though I continue to hold out hope that the detailed implementation will contain sufficient carveouts and exceptions for hobbyists, students, and other DIY enthusiasts.

I also think the requirement is generally a good thing, unless you’re an arsonist.

2 Likes

I see. Regardless of where you are regulation is coming in one form or another. Safety and information is key. As a community this should be promoted to the max to help. If a group can’t regulate its self someone will step in. It’s up to the individual to inform themselves, the industry manufacturers and resellers to provide quality products and information for them. A better informed rider who know his equipments limits is safer and more responsible for his and others safety. There will always be some fool that will take it to far and get someone seriously hurt. Being prepared is a good start.

i Completely agree with what you’ve said about safety and limits of equipment, but this law is essentially killing the diy scene, making it impossible for us to ride our creations anywhere but privately owned land, which Singapore has almost non of.

Yes, the whole situation in Germany is quite disappointing. The lack of responsibility in the individual first is to blame fallowed by cheep components and products. Then there are the scooter companies dropping scooters on the streets of major cities with no regard to safety and what could happen. Regulation on a local level has begun.

It not just your right to be able to do this. Responsibility must have its place or we will all soon suffer the consequences. I do hope in the future WE AS A COMMUNITY promote the benefits of this TECHNOLOGY and just how profound the impact can be… This is what will get this plant off fossil fuels.

The rule is to make sure they can regulate the company built boards. The hover boards lithium fires scared everyone.

1 Like

And this is why I’ll never leave San Francisco… Cops here could care less about it, never heard or seen any police stopping and checking out PEVs for legality. My e-board is illegal, and so is my e-bike. Never been stopped in the 1000’s of miles I’ve done in the past 3 years. The laws however, are there so when they feel someone did something dangerous and a cop sees it, they can nail you for it. If your reasonable about your riding, they will either smile and give you a thumbs up. Or not care.

3 Likes