Unity + Trampa Wand

When will we see an update so us unity users can use the trampa wand?

You would have to ask @trampa the question.

I don’t think that they will do a FW update to allow compatibility. It would be possible, but I doubt that they will put effort into it. Someone could code it and publish that FW, but it will be a constant work to maintain compatibility.

As far as I can see, the incompatibility of Unity FW to VESC FW is something that has been done with some intentions in mind. It is quite a task to run and maintain a fork of the VESC software only to support a layout that shares a single processor for two power stages, which isn’t ideal anyway.

Benjamin tries to keep the VESC software as open and usable as possible, but he can’t hinder others to run a incompatible fork that only supports a certain HW configuration and attachment of certain accessory. The Wand is compatible with any ESC that can run the official VESC Firmware. It even works with the old V 4.12.

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer. I’m just super frustrated with the way Enertion chooses to over promise and under deliver. Breaking the support of apps and now controllers as well. I work with UAV flight controllers and ESC’s as my day job. We have a 8 in 1 esc that runs FOC on a m series mcu. So it’s possible. That being said, I agree with you changing the vesc architecture of 1 mcu per esc is a bad design choice. Thats a topic for another day over a few beers after a group ride :smile:

I havent looked at the code yet. Have anyone tried to connect the wand with a unity yet? What works, what doesnt?

I would hope it’s something that could be done in less than 20-50 hours of work. I’m willing to put some hours into it. But keeping the responsibility of maintaining a fork + keeping it as close to the official vesc branch is not something i’m willing to commit to for x amount of years.

1 Like

The big question is: Will the code change be merged, or will you have constant work with maintenance. It’s probably not a lot of work to make things compatible. I’m not the expert, but Ben said it’s not terrible. Benjamin is merging quite some code recently. We have seen the UAV CAN and Self Balance Feature being merged from other enthusiasts. VESC-Tool grows quite a lot now.

1 Like

@trampa The video released on youtube saye that we need to update the old Bluetooth dongle with a new FW but I did not find any instruction to do so.

Can you please help out ?

https://vesc-project.com/node/178

1 Like

I wanna know why the f*** the wand can’t connect to unity when unity has a damn built in Bluetooth module that is external(meaning you can remove it) … wtf? and why the HELL do we have to take apart the remote, take apart the board, use some janky wire, connect it to the ESC or Vesc then connect it to your computer to update it when EVERYTHING else can be done wirelessly. but not only that it has af*ing usb port right on it!!! why can’t you just make that accessible??? holy crap. AND WHY THE F WOULD THESE THINGS COME WITH OLD AS SHI FIRMWARE OUT OF THE BOX? can anyone help with which wire goes to which when your trying to plug this in to VESC ? I’ve heard every way from Sunday to plug it in RX to TX and TX to RX … or just connect it to JST connector… or plug in as UART or it will not work … or use the PPM /UART port or Comm port ? ? which one WTF I have two VESC unity and VESC 6.6 mini can’t connect to either. and what exactly the hell is dongle even for NRF BLE ? why can’t it connect to any already existing dongles I have? ? what the hell is wrong with user friendly? this is a 400$ remote and a 300$ computer and there is NO WAY to communicate either of them? damn wtf

What is your VESC 6.6 Mini? Is that a Flipsky, because they can work with the wand.

The issue is that there are multiple types of Bluetooth dongle. The only way I got my wand working was buying the Trampa nRF Dongle, as it uses a newer chip which is what the wand requires. Plugged that into the UART, and then did my full VESC setup using my phone.

Sorry to say, you need go and spend another $60 on a receiver if you want to use your expensive new wand.