Universal Advanced VESC Remote Control (Photon) - Custom design

Thanks! I’ve been reading a few hours on vesc and software and all that. makes sense :wink:

1 Like

I got my remote today so I immediately set everything else aside and got to work on swapping remotes thinking I could knock it out quick and go for a short ride. I was wrong and I hate software sometimes. So I have tried Ackmaniak’s V3.10, stock V3.35, stock V3.31 and stock V3.29 firmwares. I realize some of the firmware versions aren’t supported but I was just giving it all I had available at the time.I have the TX and RX bound with green lights on both plus I have telemetry coming through just fine on the remote. I have the baud rate set and I’ve tried setting it to UART as well as Nunchuck (not nrf) and selected current in the nunchuck menu. The remote button up front is set to cruise. However I am unable to get any throttle response from the motors and I can’t see any indications of stick movement in the VESC Tool with any of the firmware versions I have available to me. Unfortunately I can not find any past releases of the VESC Tool for Windows other than what I have previously downloaded. My other remote works if I set it to PPM and reconnect the servo connector so the other settings seem fine. I may be skipping something simple out of frustration but I’ve done everything I can think of and I’m not getting anywhere. Does anyone have any ideas or know what I may be overlooking?

Can’t really help but the struggle can be hard for this remote. I recieved mine 2 month ago never used it because I could never bind it. Apparently @Wajdi sent me a new RX to try but been waiting for week. Since early January i’m the happy owner of a 170 € brick remote

1 Like

@Dizzee I have been looking into this for the past few days, and I found the problem. I forked the bldc source code and applied necessary changes to get this working again. I will release a modified FW 3.34 tonight that should get cruise control, reverse, and nunchuck controls back on UART.

1 Like

I can understand your frustration. It’s a lot of money to have sitting around. To Wajdi’s credit he’s taken responsibility for the original receivers and he seems be doing what he can to get it working as intended. I’m more frustrated with the state of the VESC project. There is no reason given for the changes effecting products that do nothing but add value. For me the fact that there’s no repository containing past releases of software and firmware is beyond frustrating. All I could find was a forked GitHub project containing previous releases for MAC OS. I don’t want to muddy the thread with VESC frustration. I just wanted to state what effects this project directly though. Especially if a specific range of firmware is necessary for the time being.

For those that need it and can make use of it, here’s a link to the previous releases of VESC Tool for MAC OS. MAC VESC Tool Releases

I just managed to have the controls compatibility issue fixed. The modified version is FW 3.35, thats the latest release, I made changes to fix nunchuck compatibility issues with the Photon receiver. You can download the FW from my GitHub here https://github.com/wajdib/bldc/tree/master/build_all Make sure to choose the correct hardware version, and the default FW available.

For this you will need the latest version of the VESC TOOL as well, V0.88.

This also applies to anyone that wants to update to latest vesc versions and have problems with controls or telemetry, this should fix it for the old Photon receivers.

Let me know if this works for you.

3 Likes

Hi Wadji

I have tried your modified 3.35FW VESC firmware with a focbox 4.12HW and vesc tool 0.88 with following results:

• modified 3.35 FW loaded into VESC OK

• Cannot get FOC motor detection to work at all ( does nothing) but BLDC motor detection works OK

• No telemetry at all on photon remote - still shows 255.2 as FW on remote

• Any throttle command from remote brings up vesc tool error “Serial Port Error- Ä device attached to the system is not functional”- only way this can be cleared is by re-booting vesc ( power-down and re-power)

• Throttle command on remote spins motor OK on BLDC only ( with current - no reverse on Nunchuk ) even if VESC tool error is present ( as above) but no FOC at all

• Installing this modified firmware appears to remove any VESC PPM control via RC remote if ÜART and PPM" is selected from App Settings/General

• Cruise control seems to work OK

Any-one else tried this??

Cheers

1 Like

Hmm, thats weird, I will look into this. BTW for anyone wondering, all new receivers are compatible with latest vesc firmwares out of the box.

1 Like

Can anyone tell me which to area to short so I can bind this bad boy

Can’t tell you exactly but if you use the “search on this topic” feature with" short" or “bind” keywords, you’ll find hints. It seems to you need to read around post #498 on this topic. There’s a picture, read around.

Hope this helps

Here you go

2 Likes

If I have the remote plugged in to a single focbox, can I have a Bluetooth module plugged in somewhere?

Not on a single focbox…

@Wajdi … I had to install my nano remote today as I cannot get 3.100 or your 3.35 working properly. And cannot bring myself to go back to 2.54 with USB…

I hope you can get this working soon. Without custom firmware.

1 Like

Mine should be coming today/tomorrow I’ll be using it on ESCape on 3.1 but I’ll test it out on a focbox as well.

Share your results when you have them !

2 Likes

@Deckoz What worked and didnt work for you on modified 3.35 FW? Cheers

@Deckoz I will be looking into this again today, to go back to 2.54 just unplug the receiver before turning on your VESC. It is working without any custom firmware, but only on the newer receiver versions.

@scepterr Yours have the latest receiver version, which should work out of the box with the new firmwares. The new receivers support fw from 3.24 and up.

@JasperM You can’t plug them both at the same with what we have so far, because they both need UART port, and only one can be connected at the time.

Basically everything you said

I run FOC sensored. And couldn’t get foc detection working on his 3.35. still see 255.2 and no telemetry.

I have these issues, as well Im really not one to ride untested firmware so even if this was working there is very little chance I would run this firmware over Ackmaniac 3.100

So there’s two sides of the fence…I could go back to 2.54 and be perfectly fine with this remote. But I cannot wirelessly configure the vescs over a tcp bridge.

As simple as this argument sounds… having a enclosure that is bolted up and I can configure everything from is better then going back to 2.54 trying to setup the escs with the board half disassembled make shift wires and such just to run the remote.

I think it is best to stick with 2.54 for now since it’s tested and fully compatible with older receivers.

1 Like

Photon arrived just now, charging it up :yum:

@Wajdi is the remote PCB coated? Noticed the receiver wasn’t, already coated that with polyurethane :wink:

2 Likes