UPDATED Putting California's Electric Skateboard Law to the test. Can it get me out of a ticket?

im here in CSULB, same thing, cop yelled at me to get off the road, @@@!#! Update me how the court goes, I’ve ridden many bike path in Orange County, but not with cop presented lol, I do have back light and helmet all the time

lol, I try to be respectful, and not piss people off or be rude, but when I see an open path… :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly, SF is really chill. We don’t have nearly enough cops for a city this size, so they just focus on the real crimes, especially gangs and guns.

Even when weed was illegal, you could smoke in front of them on the street and they wouldn’t care.

Maybe certain parts of downtown, they could care about electric skateboards. But where I live is super peaceful, happy, low crime residential neighborhood. Still packed full of people like a city, but a bit more chill then the downtown environment. In the oddity I see a cop, they are either in different, or excited (get a lot of thumbs up and smiles). I think especially when you suit up with leathers and a full face helmet, they respect you a bit more. Your showing them you take safety seriously.

1 Like

I wasn’t planning on taking my board to the court, as others have said, I doubt they’d let me in the courtroom. Lucky for me, the officer noted that I was stationary on my speed, as I was waiting for the light to change. I was not wearing a helmet, but I’m hoping that won’t come up in court, and besides, the ticket was riding in the street, not for failure to wear a helmet.

1 Like

Literally, the CSULB’s cop or Long Beach Cop?

CSULB Campus cop

No way. I’ve gone to CSULB for 5 years and had my eboard running in the streets the last 2 years I was there in the morning and afternoon hours to and from the car parking near the Rec Center. Not a single cop has said anything to me.

i ran from outpost to REC on that small section lol, i never seen you before, you with diy board or boosted, ive seen 2 dudes with boosted before

It was DIY. The deck was annodized a gold color. I was mostly on the upper campus doing research in the molecular life science building. Slim chance you saw me.

same no life lower campus in engine dept

I definitely wouldn’t have handed him my driver’s license, you didn’t commit any offence let alone a driving offence.

That is the time to refuse to give any proof of ID (in the UK you don’t have to by law) and just give a false name and address… What a dick cop!

you only have to give your address in the UK if you are under arrest, but i think supplying a false address might be an offence.

Who cares man!? I’ve given false details a few times in the past, they’re just cops on a power trip. This cop was obviously in the wrong for citing him.

I totally agree with you about the cops being on a power trip, trouble is giving false details could land you with a perverting the course of justice charge. Just tell em to jog on - unless they are going to arrest you don’t provide details, this is your right, why be lured into a potentially more serious charge…

edited as first sentance could be read to mean exact opposite of my intended meaning

Worst advice to do is give false information. @pennyboard So this was on a Public or private College Campus?

Yeah I believe here you do have to provide identification when you’re stopped like that cause you are considered a vechicle if you’re riding in the bike lane. I felt like the best thing to do was comply because seeing how this cop was obviously a jerk, I was afraid he might try to confiscate my board and I didn’t want to have to go through the trouble of getting it back.

I believe this was technically a public road, right on the edge of a public campus.

WHAT? before esk8, I always rode my bike at 22-25 mph. Are you telling me I’l been breaking the law?

Everyone breaks laws every day. Get used to it LoLz. It’s how a huge bureaucracy works. It’s all selective enforcement, so just don’t make the cop angry and cater to their badassness-factor and you’ll be better off. Make the cop feel like a big badass and be really sorry and willing to change. Even if you aren’t breaking the law, they can just say you were anyway. It’s all about the cop, really.

In the US, you are required to properly identify yourself. Giving a false name is a misdemeanor

Penal Code 148.9. (a) Any person who falsely represents or identifies himself or herself as another person or as a fictitious person to any peace officer listed in Section 830.1 or 830.2, or subdivision (a) of _Section 830.33, upon a lawful detention or arrest of the person, either to evade the process of the court, or to evade the proper identification of the person by the investigating officer is guilty of a misdemeanor. (b) Any person who falsely represents or identifies himself or herself as another person or as a fictitious person to any other peace officer defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section__830) of Title 3 of Part 2, upon lawful detention or arrest of the person, either to evade the process of the court, or to evade the proper identification of the person by the arresting officer is guilty of a misdemeanor if (1) the false information is given while the peace officer is engaged in the performance of his or her duties as a peace officer and (2) the person providing the false information knows or should have known that the person receiving the information is a peace officer. _officer.

1 Like

Ok, it’s obviously not good to give false details, I’m not saying I’d still do that at my ripe old age (probably would!), but what if this guy didn’t drive? How’s he supposed to hand over his license? This cop didn’t know if he drove or not, he didn’t have to give him his driver’s licence, riding esk8 is nothing to do with driving, there’s no licence that covers it.

In the UK, handing over your licence when you’re pulled is an admission of guilt, you don’t have to do it, you can either refuse or say you don’t have it on your person.

Well if I hadn’t handed him my license he still would have asked for my name. And then he would have used that to look up my license. If I refused to give my name I would have likely been arrested. Once I realized there was no talking to this guy, I figured I’d rather get out of the encounter with a $194 ticket (I finally figured out how much the ticket costs) than risk him confiscating my board and having to go through a bunch of crap to get it back