Using VESC controller with a hubmotor ebike wheel

Hallo Forum

Anybody who is using a VESC controller together with a hubmotor wheel on a ebike ??

Its going to be a 12s build (48v), and I would like to use a Throttle Hand Grip like this : https://www.banggood.com/24V-36V-48V-3-Wire-Twist-Throttle-Hand-Grip-For-Electirc-Scooter-Bike-78-Handlebar-p-1072620.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

But is this even possible, to use with the VESC ? And what about regenerative braking, like i have on my esk8 boards, is this even possible with a handgrip ??

Thanks

Haha hell yeah! I used to rock one of these on my very first board.

Check this thread out for some more info on the topic.

3 Likes

Thanks… not much info though… How do these handles work… ? I mean, on my boards i push the throttle forward to brake, how is it done with a handle in practice ?

Yeah they’re not designed to rest in a neutral position (~50% of throttle) so they’re not ideal for regen breaking setup. I was using a manual brake on that board. I’d suggest familiarizing yourself with a new throttle type. There are zero hand thottles used that I’ve seen in esk8.

Watch Benjamin’s Youtube channel. He has a bike with two hub motors and two ADC throttles. One for acceleration, one for braking. Works a treat.

2 Likes

Hmm… but how is it done on a “normal ebike” ?? With those cheap chineese controllers…

You said you wanted to use vesc?

Yeah… I was just wondering how reg. braking works on those cheap chinese speed controllers that often comes in the kit together with the hub Wheel.

On cheap hub motor setups: I believe when you use the physical brake, it electronically switches your motor to a generator, applying a small electrical resistance as well. Very inefficient regen compared to a fully electrical brake but physical brakes are necessary at higher brake loads.

1 Like

They don’t regen, simple as that

12s= 44v nominal.

13s= 48v nominal

48V Ebike batteries are 13s

Okay okay… 44v then :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks guys…

Maybe i just use the mechanical brakes then… Plan is to use this Btw. https://flipsky.net/collections/new-accessories/products/high-current-fsesc-200a-60v-base-on-vesc6