Vedder anti spark switch v1.3 *KIT* [currently out of stock]

I’m working on making one of these right now and it’s not going well. Could anyone share tips or expectations when it comes to hot air work like this? My problem is that the solder paste doesn’t seem to hold nearly as good as a regular solder joint. I like to test how well the connection is by applying some force to see if the joint will hold. I soldered R1, R2, and C1 with a regular iron and solder and they are SOLID. But when I try to apply less than half that force to a hot air solder paste joint, it comes right off and smears the paste.

I’ve tried hot air temps from 180C (which the paste melts at) up to 250C with the same result. I’m fluxing everything with a pen too. Am I just expecting too much regarding how well paste holds vs regular solder? The paste also runs more than I expected, bridging the pins and spilling over the board. I tried using less and less but it still doesn’t get sucked into the pads like I pictured.

You should store them in the frigerator otherwise it will be damaged. Maybe your solder paste is too old?

I just bought it a week ago lol. Expires in 2018.

My pasted parts dont move ever… Are you using good quality paste? Good amount? Hot enough?

That would be my first question - are you fully flowing the solder? It should be just as strong as regular solder.

If it’s still a matte grey and not a shiny silver then you didn’t get it hot enough I had the same problem on my first hot air attempt

Success! Yep, temperature was the problem. I bumped it up to 325C and 4/8 on the air speed and it worked great! Sucked right into the pads. Live and learn.

Now i could need some help @chaka @sl33py I have some broken switches… one stays permanently on and on does not power at all. I want to repair the broken switches but i do not know how to start…

How can i determine which part of the switch has failed with a voltmeter?

In this case you can measure the voltage between Gate and Source, if it is around 12V and still does not switch then your FETs are broken. If you switch on but your Vgs is still 0 your zener diode is broken.

Also measure Vgs, if you switch off and Vgs is 0 but the switch is still on then your FETs are dead.

1 Like

Hey chaka,

As I saw it, you had made the final version of the vedder antispark (1.4) with the Via’s. I made some of those through oshpark! Thank you first of all!

But I’d like to venture into personalising the design and add some features. I can’t find your altium/kicad files (which i completely understand if you keep those private as you also sell them), but I can find vedder’s. Allthough I’d like to add your improvements (the vias) to vedders design first, so that I get to start from the same working product.

So my question is: do the files in vedder’s github (https://github.com/vedderb/SparkSwitch) contain the improvements you’ve made? I don’t have access to open the programs right now but I’d like to start planning :stuck_out_tongue:

Kind regards, Dries

I will upload the kicad .kicad_pcb board file to my google drive and share it here for you!

Edit: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzFdFRTGQpwZQzczRnljOWs0TG8

Let me know if it give you any trouble.

hello,i have a problem with my switch. When i connect a 6s battery to the switch on the exit is still 5V it should be 0V right? Can anyone help me with that problem please ?

Hey :slight_smile: I have this one soldered up and tried the switch. I have it connected to a 12v supply. It shows me 10v(I guess the power supply is old and kind of defect). And when I toggle the switch it goes down to 9v. Same on my other supply which runs 6v and when toggled it goes down to 5v.

Could there be a soldering failure somewhere ?

Could you provide some pictures?

Hi, are you still offering these items? i would be interested if you still do. i live in NZ

1 Like

Hi I am also interested in buying on of these anti spark switches! Will it be back in stock? I live in Denmark :slight_smile:

Hi is possible to order anti spark switch?

Hallo im also interested in buying one anti spark switch with pre soldered mosfets. If stil possible :smiley:?

No, but there are different threads where they are still offering some

@DeathCookies Hi morning I living in Germany 33330 I bought a anti spark switch from Italy and I think one mosfet is damage,can I have one of this setup kit with the mosfet solder can you send me a PayPal and the amount please.