Vedder's VESC 6.0

Sorry you did loose my attention :sweat_smile:

Just to be sure are you asking if you can use two vesc to control one motor ?.. If it is just a current issue, direct fet can drive a crazy amount of current if the heat is sink properly.

Hah, well at least I got it back.

…but yeah, that’s essentially what I’m asking… and it is a current issue…

…but hopefully there’d be an option w/o requiring the skillz to solder direct fets by hand or a reflow oven, designing a heatsink, etc… but even the VESCs w/ direct fets + improved heatsinks don’t double the continuous current rating, AFAIK (even though they may double (or more) in price).

Thoughts? Thanks.

1 Like

You are a reader of Jensos Direct-Drive-Vesc-6-Thread so you probably read that he used the “unleashed-Firmware” that is availeable. There you can set you Amps to whatever. Jenso tried it up to 130 Phase Amps and 100 Batt Amps if i remember right. So i guess with really huge heatsink and good cooling you could potentially go to 200Amps ? But High Amps produce High Temperature (generally speaking), so a better Solution to get more Watts is increasing the Voltage.

But whats the Purpose actually ? an Ebike ?
The Vesc (6) is for sure a great skateboard ESC but its save Limit is at 12 s (50Volt fully carged, and potentially 60Volt Spikes). It think for High-Power-Ebikes (5000Watts and more) there are other Controllers with the ability of taking ~100Volts (20s-25s). with the effect of needing less Amps then. Ceck out Adaptto controller from Russia, they are amazing, i use two of the Minis with up to 4KW, an they include BMS, Carging-coil, Display,… Sure, not Open-Source, but really amazing customer-service and reaction on customers wishes in my experience. (They will actually release a new Version “soon”)

1 Like

Really? havent heard of that ? Many Focboxes are failing right now ? I thouhgt they are said to be pretty steardy. But for sure produced in China with that Price.

Me? I didn’t catch that it was some special unleashed firmware, but I did see the values… does that kill the warranty, since the manual has a rating of 80a, IIRC? …and ideally overclocking wouldn’t be necessary :).

e-bikes is how transitioned over here… 3000w is plenty for me on that front… gears :).

…my application is potentially for a mountainboard build… still figuring out what my options are.

So, you were asking for 200Amps,…Stick to @Nowind 's experiences, i think he is one of the Guys here pushing it to the Limits, and he seems to be Quite happy with his Actual VESC6 Settings

So i guess you first have to try how 2X2000 Watts on a e-(MT)board feel like and then think about Pushing Limits further.

I’m pretty sure about that, otherwise i would be surprised that Trampa accepts “willful destruction”

120-150a for me (TBD)… but the question wasn’t necessarily for my specific build, I just wanted to know if something like that would be possible in general (and a potential future feature/option).

…but as far as my specific goals, I definitely look to nowind for inspiration/guidance, but I think he pushes the limits to the breaking point. I’d be hoping for something that can be pushed on 24/7 without breaking.

Just wondering if you and Ben are OK? Still no Release and it is end of August

He bangs on it and we are not far away!

Frank

1 Like

What are you talking about ? Are those FOCBOX made in China bad all of a sudden ? I havn’t seen anyone here complaining about the quality. I am just curious cause it used to be good.

@NAF I actually use heavily but it back itself off before I kill drv. which is very good feature. and even over 60k erpm limit, tho I didn’t test extensively, I don’t have any problem so far.

Does anyone know what the power output from the comm port is? I’m hoping to run a 5V led strip off of it, which may need around 2 amps.

IIRC the 5v output is limited to 1.5 amps, and some of that is required to run the board itself, so I wouldn’t go over 1 amp.

:pensive: Oh well. It might be a good idea to have a 3s lipo to run 12v headlights and other accessories anyway. I could still run the led strips by using one of those car usb chargers to drop the voltage down.

I used a constant-current LED driver to run the headlight on my board, and it works very well, you might want to look into that.

Hey guys just letting you know that http://www.vesc-project.com/ is open to the public now

1 Like

This is why I started a thread about it.

Frank

4 Likes

Kudos to both Ben and @trampa for bringing this to the rest of the VESC users here.

Seriously - you have to try the new VESC Tool - it is AWESOME! I’ve programmed more VESC 4.xx than my two VESC 6. It is so much simpler and easy to configure!!!

Don’t know what improvements in the FW vs older BLDC tool, but simplicity and ease of configuring is a huge huge improvement!!

Thanks guys!!!

4 Likes

So, Im starting a new project that uses 8 motors (all need to do the same task).

Does anyone know how many VESCs can be daisy chaned together as I cant seem to find any threads on how many can be used in unison or what problems can arise from using multiple together?

1 Like

If the limit is the CAN ID number, it should be 256 devices (8bit coded), so you have some margin.

2 Likes