Versatile First Build!

I realized that based on Carvon’s page for the TD V4’s that they recommend only using VESCs. Does it matter all that much to use a VESC over the FocBox for the TD’s?

so the V4 torque drives are only 50W difference with the same Kv. wonder how much of a difference it will be in terms of the torque and the temperature when going up hills.

is there any reason also not to go Focbox over VESC besides what Carvon states on their site?

On 10s they got less hot and carvon recommends 10s. I think it is mostly for this reason they recommend 10s. I can’t say if they will have more torque but my guess is it will have slightly more torque.

I had to check the vesc recommendation. It states “Use only Vedder’s ESCs.” Either they state it like this for legal reasons or to include esc that support vesc tool software.

You can just use focboxes. I would if I wasn’t able to score some ESCapes.

1 Like

I haven’t taken a loot at ESCapes yet. But they sound difficult to come by judging by your response alone lol

They are based on vesc6 specs and they are hard to come by. stewii is the person that makes them and I believe he recently closed his round 2 sale. He is not a company which is why there have now only been two sale runs.

Here is the thread if you’re interested.

1 Like

I’ll keep an eye out for the next group buy! Speaking of Vesc 6, I’m unsure of where to purchase one as googling vesc 6 points me to the TRAMPA version haha

I just skimmed through it on mobile while I’m away from my computer. It’s got the performance of 3 Vescs in parallel? Not sure if @stewii was referring to the single or dual version for that tho I’m guessing its the dual. Sounds like it can handle all the Amps you’d need and having a heat sink plus enclosure sounds really good! I hope to get the chance and order one. So I’m guessing it uses the same VESC BLDC?

I am not a vesc expert and not very familiar with what the specs are for the vescs. I just know that the version 6 based ones are the latest versions which is all I need to know.

The thing is that “vesc” has been trademarked which is why it is al so confusing.

Trampa are the only ones that are officially allowed to use the word vesc to refer to their esc which is why now when you search for vesc you’ll end up there.

It used to not be trademarked and then when anyone referred to a vesc we would know that we are talking about an esc that runs on vesc tool software which used to be called bldc tool software.

To come back to where you can purchase one, if you want an official vesc 6 then you can only purchase it from trampa since they are the only one that make them. As an alternative vesc 6 based esc you can get:

• Flipsky fsesc 6 but it is still unfamiliar and untested

• ESCape tested by members of the forum and wildly popular but only very little are available if at all (and the only other vesc 6 based esc that is almost the same as the trampa vesc 6 minus an nrf chip and something else I can’t remember that doesn’t matter to me)

• B-box also tested by members here and actually a derivative of the ESCape made by an ex member bimmer to be sold USA side territory

You can forget about the Bbox though since he stopped and seems to have not even forfilled outstanding orders and taken peoples money.

There is one more vesc 6 based esc to be released but only in dual form which is called the Focbox Unity. Members are testing this right now and it is supposed to be a step forward in the way that it will do motor detection. All new Enertion Raptor 2.1 will be released with this esc.

Fyi this forum is owned by Enertion as well as the electric-skateboard.club forum. Member onloop is Jason the owner of Enertion.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, yes I’m aware that enertion owns the forum and that there’s another esk8 forum endless sphere but the esk8 builder appears to have more active members for whatever reason. Also didnt know that Jason’s handle on the forum was actually onloop lol I was always wondering who he was on here.

Also I contacted the builder who produces the ESCapes so hopefully I do get a chance to get in on the next GB for a dual ESCape.

Interesting how the unity is VESC 6 based and not based on the original VESC-X before they rebranded to Foxbox. Or does the difference really boild down to the BLDC tool they use?

Also looking for a BMS that would work well with a 10a6p but I’m still going through the forum search results for BMS.

Still looking for a suitable BMS and battery voltage/life indicator to go with it and a power on/off switch

For this build, I would lean towards Surf Rodz TKPs over the RKPs. Mounts from Psychotiller. The carvability factors on the TKPs is insane.

3 Likes

What deg baseplate would you suggest to go with the surfrodz TKP’s? Ive read that 35deg on the RKP was a general rule of thumb but not sure if it applies to TKP’s.

Just get the kit from psychotiller when he gets them back in stock. They only have one baseplate for TKPs IIRC

1 Like

I sent him a PM. would there be any effect on the ride by having a TKP in the front while having an RKP on the rear? I’m trying to understand if the TKP’s would fit well in relation to the Torque drives on the rear. Thanks for the suggestions!

While canvassing for good fitting enclosures, I’ve found some that should fit alright with a tesseract, Psychotiller’s Argonaut, Master Cho CF enclosure and an enclosure from Bigben. Still getting feedback from them but hopefully find one that will fit just right for my needs. Also checking if I can source a battery from Tinniesinker for the 10s5p or 10s6p.

Ervinelin also suggested going with a spud as not to put a bigger risk of messing up the tesseract on the first go at it sop I’ll weight that in as well.

sounds like a really good build! Everything you have specced and been advised to use is spot on. One thing though and this is from experience, go for the maytech remote, the new small version, it is so much better than the nano (I have both) and the maytech just feels smoother in its delivery with a longer throttle travel which smooths things out. Batteries from @tinniesinker look good too, mine is under construction soon. :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll take the maytech remote into consideration although I had only remembered now that I got in on the Firefly Group buy by @SeeTheBridges. I forgot I ordered one last May lol so I have yet to compare the two remotes. What’s the name of they maytech remote? or would you happen to have a link to ?

Also still trying to decide on the Bestech BMS for a 10s. Also reading up on the forum if I can go for an 11s if that will allow me to use a 10s now and upgrade to an 11s later but I still have to research about that.

Hoping that @tinniesinker can manage an overseas shipping for the pack as many of us know that shipping packs like that is quite difficult(I’m based in the Philippines)

@dareno you’re first up next week. should have the cells on Monday :slight_smile: Does the Maytech remote feel ok in the hand? it looks kinda weird. I have a nano-x and its ok i guess

@Wraith preliminary search has found ~$100 with Pack and Send but I’ll have to visit in-store(with a battery pack?) for an exact price. FedEx wanted like $250 or some nonsense

1 Like

Woah thats quite a big difference between the two courier services. Given that, I may just straight up go for the 10s6p if shipping rates, duties and what not won’t differ all to much. Good to know that it can be shipped at all really. Looking forward to getting the final prices for them!

I love the maytech compared to my nano, it fits in your hand really snug and as I said the throttle has more physical travel so its less snatchy on the c section board (dual 6374) I found the nano was a bit touchy and with the torque it was a bit hairy going from downhill rolling to power on. The maytech just allows a bit more delicate feed in. @longhairedboy uses it too I think and that was a good enough endorsement for me Great news on the battery, looking forward to all that lovely power! Better order the charger, any recommendations?

1 Like