VESC Bluetooth Modules for Sale! [IN STOCK AGAIN] [APP FINISHED UPDATE]

I believe its electrical rpm vs mechanical rpm. @hummie or @devin could explain this better than me. @hummie is the one who told me to divide it by 7, because most motors use 14 poles, or 7 pole pairs.

Okay that makes sense. Using that calculation and a speed calculator it looks very accurate. Please let us know if you have any specific tests in mind for this beta. Do you have an ETA on app update? Any progress in android land?

PS. Its really slow at work this morning :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™m a full time CS Major my self, so my amount of free time varies. I should have more time later this week, I have an exam today and a project due friday. I really hope to have this new app ready for submission this weekend. The apple review process however can take a week, sometimes more. Once I get the apple version going, I will do some ore research on the andriod side. I canā€™t make any promises yet on that side, as itā€™s all quite experimental.

1 Like

Well thanks for your efforts, itā€™s much appreciated. Good luck on the exam!

I was trying to think outside the box today about the endless options for writting an app. And I had one today I would like the communities opinion on.

What about a function to record the speed of your 0-20 acceleration? Essentially, the app knows when you go from 0 to .001 mph, and when you hit 20 mph. Just like your 0-60 acceleration on a car, it could be a tool to measure your 0-20 acceleration on an eboard. If everyone did this on a flat ground, you could have some insight into how fast you can make a board accelerate.

5 Likes

That is a great idea!

Really like that idea , i received mine a couple of days ago Iā€™ll be testing next week :wink:

@caustin we need to meet even to say hello :slight_smile:

For sure! Unfortunately I blew out a wheel pulley this morning on first trial run of new build so out of commission this weekend. It was a very short Bluetooth vesc test lol

iOS 9.2 isnā€™t the only limitation. Your device must support BLE 4.0 or higher.[quote=ā€œevoheyax, post:21, topic:10422, full:trueā€] Umā€¦ Iā€™m not sure actually. I thought this question might be asked. I could try it and see if itā€™s possible. I would say maybe you can split the signalā€¦ If possible, it sounds more like a custom job. But I will try to look into it if I can find the time. [/quote]

You can not split a UART signal. Maybe you can use the whole UART to connect a Nunchuk and then just read the same RX for the app. But sending with both is not possible in my opinion. The VESC 6 with the on build NRF could be used to connect to a nunchuk while reading the data over the BT UART module.[quote=ā€œevoheyax, post:44, topic:10422ā€] The HC 05 to my understanding encapsulates data differently for transmission through bluetooth. This means you canā€™t use an HC 05 with this particular app. I donā€™t have an HC 05 sitting around to confirm this though, so if anyone who has one and wants to try it out, I would love to see your results.

Besides this, thereā€™s some other differences.

Adafruit manufacturers in New York in the US, while the HC 05 is unclear (and likely china).Adafruit uses a 32 bit processor, while itā€™s unclear what the HC 05 uses.Adagruit runs on bluetooth 4 Low Energy, while again, no documentation states what version of bluetooth it uses (likely not 4 LE) [/quote] HC 05 is produced in China using a CSR chip. This chip uses v2.0+EDR and is not Bluetooth 4.0 (LE) compatible so will not work for this App. Donā€™t see why you are saying there are no infos about this specs.[quote=ā€œelkick, post:51, topic:10422, full:trueā€] All the temp readings will be implemented in VESC V6 properly, so it makes sense to already count on that also on V4 instead of rewriting that stuff later. [/quote]

From the schematics the VESC V6 has also not a temp sensor for every FET.

1 Like

If youā€™re running a single drive, and youā€™re using a nunchuck, your only option is an integrated option inside of the nunchuck (see @jacobbloyā€™s nunchuck project). If youā€™re running dual, the can bus can handle writing the firmware of the other VESC (ie you connect your nunchuck to one vesc and the bluetooth module to the other), however no app that Iā€™m aware of has this functionality built in (writing firmware to both master and slave over can-bus)

Edit: By no application, I meant no mobile (iOS, Android) application. BLDC Tool can already do this.

Because I spent 3 hours trying to find info about it. I even came across the manual for it, but the specs it has was limited. The manufacture websites had little info. The only info I found was on a third party sight and it wasnā€™t the info I was looking for. Maybe I just had bad luck with my aearches, but Iā€™m usually pretty good at finding info Iā€™m looking for. Thank you for clearing the record up.

Itā€™s been a while, so I think itā€™s time for an update.

I have ordered 15 more Adafruit UART buddy modules. I will restock inventory and make an announcement when they are back in stock.

The BIG NEWS though is in the app:

I had a major break through today with the graphs. Iā€™m using a library called Core Plot. Itā€™s quite complicated to get setup, and the documentation is very detailed. Thereā€™s no quick easy get up and running with it for live time data. I had to spend over 10 hours today and 5 hours yesterday researching, reading through detailed documentation, and coming up with the right code. Objective-C can be a frustrating language at times, as I run into a lot of the same issues that C can have. But none the less, graphs are working. I just need to beautify them. I plan to add code that saves the data from each graph every time you hit stop. Then, you will be able to browse through past recorded graphs and select which graphs you want to see, all in the same app. This library is very detailed, and should allow me to do some very convenient things not possible in the VESC Vision app.

I will add some other tools, like the 0-20 mph acceleration timer. If you have an ideas for other tools, Iā€™m all ears. A lot of cool things can be done with this data. One of the graphs I want to add will have altitude change (i.e are you going up hills, down hills, or on flat) with speed and amp draw, all on the same graph, so you can see how hills for example affect your speed and amp draw.

7 Likes

Another full day of programming. Cleaned up a bunch of code to make it easier to keep building onto. I wanted to post the latest looks of the app. Currently, it is only graphing speed, but it will be graphing everything else tonight or tomorrow morning (the data structures are all there, just need to add a few more line of code).

In addition to the 0-20 acceleration timer, Iā€™m planning on adding another exciting new feature: Video recording with overlays. Through the app, you will be able to record video from your iphone with graphs overlayed on the video. This means making graphical overlays will be way too easy for all of us (I hope we see more videos from this).

ALSO: More BT Modules have arrived. I will start assembly tomorrow, and restock the inventory. So if you missed the first batch, keep an eye out for an update tomorrow, as they will be for sale again.

Hereā€™s a sneak peak of the progress: (P.S. the green dot is to start/stop recording. it turns red when recording, green when itā€™s not but ready to be started)

10 Likes

Looking great and I like the video overlay feature! Sounds like youā€™re making good progress. Also saving rides individually is perect. Could you also implement an odometer? Iā€™d love to keep a running total of miles on the board (maybe a setting to save board presets if you own more than one). Itā€™s sounding more like an app that Iā€™d be happy to pay for. Thanks for the updates

Man, you just gave me some great features to add. Defiantly will do the odometer and presents. I want everything to be easy and a lot of data saved, so you can go back a view everything. All data is based on the time you hit record to the time you hit stop, and the odometer will be the sameā€¦

3 Likes

This is awesome progress, really coming together!

Just did a test ride now. No gps data is used, I calculate distance and speed biased on rpm and wheel diameter entered in the settings.

3 Likes

Looking good! Is there a legend for which color means what? Maybe label the axis too with the units they represent?

Quick question. Does the app only run when the phone is unlocked? I keep finding that it never records a whole ride for me. Just now I made sure to keep the board turned on until I checked the phone. Once the phone was unlocked it reset my data upon reconnecting to the Bluetooth. I never had this issue with apps for my bike since it was handlebar mounted and I set it to not turn off. No handlebars on a skateboard so I toss it in my pocket

The legend was the next step actually in my mind. I need to make some tweaks to the graph still but the idea and most of the code is there. I will try to come up with a way to label the y axis. Iā€™ll probably make a legend just for the y axis.

Biased on tests I just conducted, the app does not seem to run in while the phone screen is off. I will look into it, and It shouldnā€™t be too hard of a fix. Iā€™ll put that on my todo list.

1 Like